Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Injection Harness Sheathing Size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisO
Hi All,

I want to redo my Fuel Injection harness and replace all the sheathing. I think the sheathing is PVC, but not sure. Has anyone tackled this before and knows the different sizes used and can recommend a good product that can survive the engine bay environment?

Thanks in Advance!

Dennis
JeffBowlsby
Is your harness in good enough condition to be worth doing that? Specifically, are the wires pliable and not brittle or cracked, do they have high resistance, and are the wire terminals corroded?

Usually the telltale indication of problems is that the exposed ground wires are brittle and the terminals are corroded.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 11 2018, 09:09 AM) *

Is your harness in good enough condition to be worth doing that? Specifically, are the wires pliable and not brittle or cracked, do they have high resistance, and are the wire terminals corroded?

Usually the telltale indication of problems is that the exposed ground wires are brittle and the terminals are corroded.

Well if Jeff won't plug his harness rebuilding service Dennis, then I will -

Usually the engine bay harnesses are all crusty old highly resistant copper wiring which don't work well, due to the heat advancing aging of them.

Your 75 is now 43-44 years since built, & you probably have all sorts of "electrical gremlins" caused by crusty wiring.

If you just redo the sheathing, then you're only doing a cosmetic fix & will still have the gremlins, & will have wasted your time & money (I'm sure Jeff would advise what to use for sheathing if the wiring itself isn't bad).

Jeff sells fully restored "new wiring" & sheathing harnesses for the full engine bay set of harnesses, with a core exchange IIRC - see here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/
> there are also a ton of wiring diagrams, etc. for 914er reference on there too

PM, email or call Jeff to figure out what you really need to do.

Make sure to visit his other 914 info website:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

And another great 914 info site is p914.com (& .net & .info)

welcome.png

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
DennisO
Hi Jeff,

I did look at this, and all the wires are still soft and pliable. This harness might have been replaced by the PO on my '75, as it's in nice shape. Th sheathing could use some sprucing up, so I wanted to replace it. I could keep it as it, if this is a difficult task.

Dennis
JeffBowlsby
Corroded wire terminals and high resistance wires are condition problems that are important to resolve if they exist.

Replacing the casing is not especially difficult but it does take time it will probably take you at least 4-6 hours if you've not done it before. Electronics stores may have materials you need. You will also need to document the circuitry of your harness, have or get the special tools needed to completely disassemble the harness.
DennisO
Jeff, Tom,

Thanks for all the advice and help. Much appreciated. I'll let you know how it goes.

Dennis
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.