Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type-4 Bling Bling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
I am getting closer and closer to getting my turbo type-4 together and running. The intake and exhaust system is currently being fab'ed by Marty Staggs at Staggs Racing.

I don't wanna show any pictures of his excellent work until it is completed, but here is a teaser of the intake manifolds that he welded together and polished up. Let me just tell you that his work is absolutely amazing.

-Britain

user posted image

TravisNeff
Purty wub.gif
rhodyguy
you going to put 2 minilights in the engine compartment to show them off? cool.gif . beautiful!!! are they shortened as well?

k
Britain Smith
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jun 4 2005, 01:20 PM)
you going to put 2 minilights in the engine compartment to show them off? cool.gif . beautiful!!! are they shortened as well?

k

Nah, they aren't shortened. However, they will be bolts to twin intercoolers!

-Britain
Aaron Cox
so..... when does the motor run??? biggrin.gif

chrome dont get ya home.... but dang, they are sweet!
Aaron Cox
BTW- what are you using for TB's?
rhodyguy
that's what the 4 peg/ports(?) are for? what's the story?

k
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jun 4 2005, 01:26 PM)

k

guessing injector bungs.....

intake temp sensors?
redshift
You always 'guess bung'... laugh.gif

Nice Britain! Your car is a lucky girl!

M
neo914-6
Britain,

Your project is going to be and look incredible. Just curious, have you checked that everything works or has this package of components been done before?
ejm
guessing injector bungs.....

agree.gif CIS injectors I would say..
Britain Smith
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jun 4 2005, 01:26 PM)
BTW- what are you using for TB's?

I am running a single TB from an sunfire...the math worked out that way.

-Britain
Britain Smith
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jun 4 2005, 01:26 PM)

k

Those bungs are for the injectors. The first attempt of welding bungs proved that you should have the car present before you start welding...the injectors hit the frame rails and therefore a new set had to be fab'ed with the injectors up higher. The old set now belongs to Andy as soon as he pays me for them...

-Britain

Britain Smith
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 4 2005, 01:52 PM)
Britain,

Your project is going to be and look incredible. Just curious, have you checked that everything works or has this package of components been done before?

That is the fun of the project. I am not sure if anyone has done this before, but I am crossing each hurdle as it arises. This project has taken many turns and weathered through many issues. As example, the engine was impounded for a while and I had to go through hell to get it back, I did get visiting sessions though!

-Britain
Britain Smith
QUOTE (Sammy @ Jun 4 2005, 05:05 PM)
You can't turbo a 912 wink.gif rolleyes.gif

Nope, but you sure can get close!

user posted image

Couldn't resist!

-Britain
ChrisReale
What type of numbers are you expecting to put out in regards to HP/Torque?
Marty
QUOTE (Sammy @ Jun 4 2005, 04:05 PM)
You can't turbo a 912 wink.gif rolleyes.gif

Wanna bet?
welder.gif
Britain Smith
QUOTE (Marty @ Jun 4 2005, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (Sammy @ Jun 4 2005, 04:05 PM)
You can't turbo a 912 wink.gif  :rolleyes:

Wanna bet?
welder.gif

Oh no, we got Marty to join the 914club. Sooner or later you will see him drag racing a teener!

-Britain
Britain Smith
QUOTE (ChrisReale @ Jun 4 2005, 05:35 PM)
What type of numbers are you expecting to put out in regards to  HP/Torque?

My personal goals, most of which seem to be reasonable according to those involved, is over 300hp.

All I really want is a very unique, well balanced car with globs of HP! I guess that is the wish of most everyone else. It has been asked above if this combo has been done before...I am not sure if it has but if it hasn't, I want to be the first.

It is people like Marty, Jake, Brad-hole, Tony (TC Design), Hayden (WEVO), and Mark (Original Customs) & Brandon (Altissimo) who I owe all the credit to and who will get the exposure of the awesome work and contributions to my project.

-Britain
nocones
Britain,

Those are gorgeous. The car is looking really good.

Marty, welcome to the club. After browsing through your website it took me a few minutes to pick my jaw up off the floor.
Really amazing work!
I look forward to seeing more. clap.gif
redshift
QUOTE (Britain Smith @ Jun 4 2005, 09:01 PM)
All I really want is a very unique, well balanced car with globs of HP!  I guess that is the wish of most everyone else.

Congratulations!

Which award of the week would you like? Captain Obvious, or Supreme Asshat?

laugh.gif

screwy.gif dang smaarmy turbo guys...

M
ablose58
drooley.gif drooley.gif Me likes alot smilie_pokal.gif mueba.gif
turbo914v8
It just goes to show that you really can turbo charge anything if you work at it. smash.gif
Great to have you aboard, looking forward to your progress. So far it looks awesome. You must have deep pockets biggrin.gif
Britain Smith
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Jun 5 2005, 05:31 AM)
It just goes to show that you really can turbo charge anything if you work at it. smash.gif
Great to have you aboard, looking forward to your progress. So far it looks awesome. You must have deep pockets biggrin.gif

Why does someone have to have deep pockets to build a nice car? I am doing most of the work myself and have found lots of ways to resale parts and help people out in exchange.

-Britain
redshift
..and it's coming out just beautiful..

Wrong body~!

M
turbo914v8
QUOTE (Britain Smith @ Jun 5 2005, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (turbo914v8 @ Jun 5 2005, 05:31 AM)

Why does someone have to have deep pockets to build a nice car? I am doing most of the work myself and have found lots of ways to resale parts and help people out in exchange.

-Britain

Sorry didn’t mean to offend sad.gif speaking from experience you are completely right in that you don’t have to have deep pockets to build a nice car. Your car looks fabulous, great attention to detail. It’s the detail that makes it look expensive and well thought out. Hats off to you for doing the work yourself. I also do most of my fabrication my self. Saves a lot.
Marty
Here are a few updated pics.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

welder.gif
Aaron Cox
schwing!
mightyohm
Britain, do you think the stub pipe between the injectors and the intake riser will cause any problems? I am concerned that not having the injector poking directly into the stream of air flowing into the head might cause problems like poor mixing of air/fuel. Does the spray pattern of the injectors mean that they will be spraying fuel directly onto the stub pipes? I wonder if fuel will collect there? Just thinking out loud, I don't know nothin...
McMark
The injectors are in the manifold (I believe they are standard Weber IDF manifolds, maybe IDA) not in the intercooler pipes. And if I'm not mistaken, he had previously had a set of manifolds with the injectors lower, but they ran into the body, and had to be redone, with the injectors higher up. Not ideal, of course, but you have to work within your constraints. wink.gif
Britain Smith
Mark is exactly right. I have another set of manifolds that were done with the engine on a stand and when it was installed in the engine bay of my 912 they hit the frame rails. The set on there now (as seen in the picture) have the infector bungs a little higher up and tilted so that they clear the frame rails. I do not think that I will have puddling problems, especially with a turbo. I don't have to worry about airflow as much as the NA guys do...although it is still important.

-Britain
Marty
Beleive it or not, they still point almost directly at the backside of the intake valves. Puddling will not be an issue.
welder.gif
mightyohm
Sounds good. Very cool setup!
JmuRiz
pray.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.