Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a new moderator for the "Originality and History" forum
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mepstein
I could do it.
AZBanks
It might help some people feel comfortable if they knew what the exact job requirements are.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
seeing how little activity there is there, (just like the 914 club) maybe the originality history should be folded in to the garage, that way everyone who knows anything could make a comment right away rather than having to remember to go to the other discussion page.
TheCabinetmaker
Slippery slope. Merge these two, then two more, then all of a sudden everything is on the same few pages. Sorry doc, bad idea, imo! Originally(pun intended), to the best of my memory, there was only one forum. It got to be a real busy place.
914Next
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Nov 13 2018, 09:28 PM) *

Slippery slope. Merge these two, then two more, then all of a sudden everything is on the same few pages. Sorry doc, bad idea, imo! Originally(pun intended), to the best of my memory, there was only one forum. It got to be a real busy place.

agree.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 13 2018, 04:23 PM) *

I could do it.

Looks sorta original Mark! evilgrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 13 2018, 11:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 13 2018, 04:23 PM) *

I could do it.

Looks sorta original Mark! evilgrin.gif

Have to believe.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Totally agree,. Tom T takes a lot of his time researching 914 information and posts it in its truest form, if toting the factory line is bad then anyone restoring a 914 to concours perfection or near it is bad , and that is just not true.

Because Tom is keen on originality and history, he would be perfect as moderator PLUS he has no commercial interest, as some of you say

I still think that the forums should be merged, that way we could all share in answering questions, even the guys who butcher their 914s! (LOL)
Tom_T
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Nov 13 2018, 04:01 PM) *

It might help some people feel comfortable if they knew what the exact job requirements are.

Yes, that would help, but I still cannot do this right now - but would be willing to help out, as I said in a prior post.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 13 2018, 04:14 PM) *

seeing how little activity there is there, (just like the 914 club) maybe the originality history should be folded in to the garage, that way everyone who knows anything could make a comment right away rather than having to remember to go to the other discussion page.

I don't think so George, because they cover two different areas, just like not merging the track/AX forum, parts FS, cars FS, etc. forums with the Garage.

IMHO it's better to start at the Garage if someone has the question on anything - if they don't know to go to the O&H Forum (or the 914club Concours one) - then be directed to look there.

That seems to be the flow, & there is more activity in that regard - looking for the reference topics - than posting questions &/or other types of topics directly as new topics over on O&H - which is probably what you see as "activity".

Unfortunately the mere act of searching & reading O&H topics doesn't register as "activity" - but it goes on!
type.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mark Henry
Tom T why don't you talk to davep and see if you can split the duties.
Dave was the president or treasurer of the PCA UCR back when it started in the late 70's.

With two mods the work would be manageable. You don't have to answer a question that the other mod or a member has answered correctly.
Also the O&H forum doesn't see the traffic like the Garage.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 15 2018, 02:45 PM) *

Tom T why don't you talk to davep and see if you can split the duties.
Dave was the president or treasurer of the PCA UCR back when it started in the late 70's.

With two mods the work would be manageable. You don't have to answer a question that the other mod or a member has answered correctly.
Also the O&H forum doesn't see the traffic like the Garage.

Mark,

Due to my current schedule, I'm limited to only helping in a supporting role, in addition to the obvious lightening rod which I seem to be for some members, being a real PITA for me.

When I do chime in, it's either additive or not yet answered, as I look at & pass on a bunch of posts which are either answered, or are outside my expertise.

Again - I think that there are a number of people on here with various areas of 914 O&H expertise, which would best be combined in the role as an O&H Panel.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I nominate Tom T
Dion
Tom...... beerchug.gif my vote. When you have time.
davep
I'm willing to give it a try if you guys will have me.
dcheek
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 18 2018, 05:09 AM) *

You got my vote.

Dave
ConeDodger
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 18 2018, 10:09 AM) *

Perfect! beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis

The motion carries! first.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 18 2018, 09:19 PM) *

The motion carries! first.gif

agree.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 18 2018, 09:09 AM) *

beer.gif creamsicle914.jpg
SirAndy

smilie_pokal.gif

@davep
I'll shoot you a PM today ...
type.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 18 2018, 06:09 AM) *

Thanx Dave!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
SirAndy
Did some cleanup on his thread ...
dry.gif
sixnotfour
isle 6 party.gif

and congrats Dave
bbrock
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 15 2018, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Nov 13 2018, 04:14 PM) *

I don't think so George, because they cover two different areas, just like not merging the track/AX forum, parts FS, cars FS, etc. forums with the Garage.

IMHO it's better to start at the Garage if someone has the question on anything - if they don't know to go to the O&H Forum (or the 914club Concours one) - then be directed to look there.

That seems to be the flow, & there is more activity in that regard - looking for the reference topics - than posting questions &/or other types of topics directly as new topics over on O&H - which is probably what you see as "activity".

Unfortunately the mere act of searching & reading O&H topics doesn't register as "activity" - but it goes on!
type.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Related to the low activity conundrum, I ran a little experiment. I posted my Seatbelt Resto thread in O&H but after 2 days of no love, I posted the exact thread over here where it quickly wracked up 14 replies. Our new mderator (thanks Dave!) has since replied to the original in O&H but this does illustrate Tom's point that it is better to post the questions in the Garage and use O&H as reference.
Tom_T
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 19 2018, 04:41 PM) *

Related to the low activity conundrum, I ran a little experiment. I posted my Seatbelt Resto thread in O&H but after 2 days of no love, I posted the exact thread over here where it quickly wracked up 14 replies. Our new mderator (thanks Dave!) has since replied to the original in O&H but this does illustrate Tom's point that it is better to post the questions in the Garage and use O&H as reference.

Hey Brent,

I thought that I answered your O&H seat belt resto question on repro labels & "PRESS" decals last week!?

.... or did you post another question after that one?

I was away last weekend camping without internet, so wasn't on here Fri-Sun. piratenanner.gif

If you were looking for something like shops to restore seat belts, then the Garage Forum may get more answers.

Whereas a question about which item or labels/decals etc. is correct - then that fits in the O&H Forum - unless you want 100 "personal opinions" of what everybody thinks is correct! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bbrock
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 19 2018, 06:58 PM) *

Hey Brent,

I thought that I answered your O&H seat belt resto question on repro labels & "PRESS" decals last week!?

I was away last weekend camping without internet, so wasn't on here Fri-Sun. piratenanner.gif

If you were looking for something like shops to restore seat belts, then the Garage Forum may get more answers.

Whereas a question about which item or labels/decals etc. is correct - then that fits in the O&H Forum - unless you want 100 "personal opinions" of what everybody thinks is correct! biggrin.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

You did Tom, but even you replied to the one in the Garage forum that I posted two days later. smile.gif I hope my comment didn't come across as a complaint. It is only an observaton. beerchug.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 19 2018, 07:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 19 2018, 06:58 PM) *

Hey Brent,

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

You did Tom, but even you replied to the one in the Garage forum that I posted two days later. smile.gif I hope my comment didn't come across as a complaint. It is only an observaton. beerchug.gif

No, not at all Brent.

I was just clarifying on my previous point - that some questions are better asked in the O&H Forum, while other are better in the Garage Forum - & using your seat belts questions as the example.

Each of the 2 forums have their place, & are the more appropriate forum for their respective area of expertise - just as with the Race/AX folks on their Forum here.

I think that the largest share of members are either occasional or weekend drivers, DDers, a bunch of modifier wrenches, etc. - then there are smaller contingents who are hardcore racers/AXers, or originality/restorers, concours people, etc.

But there still should be a place for all on here.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
davep
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 19 2018, 11:58 AM) *

Now you need to behave yourself and set an example for the children who are watching.

Not sure if this was directed at me; not sure if there is a percentage in behaving.
However, I am well experienced at babysitting; children, grandchildren. and great grandchildren. A past president of Upper Canada region PCA & a past president of the Poodle Club of Canada (ever try to break up multiple concurrent cat fights?)
ConeDodger
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 19 2018, 11:59 PM) *

Now you need to behave yourself and set an example for the children who are watching.

Not sure if this was directed at me; not sure if there is a percentage in behaving.
However, I am well experienced at babysitting; children, grandchildren. and great grandchildren. A past president of Upper Canada region PCA & a past president of the Poodle Club of Canada (ever try to break up multiple concurrent cat fights?)

lol-2.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 19 2018, 07:59 PM) *

Poodle Club of Canada Prez, Eh, Dave!? idea.gif

Then you'll know what a "Moyan" is!? confused24.gif
... (aka "Kanish" [sp??])

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Well, you're obviously overqualified as a past PCA president! blink.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mark Henry
Dave's a good guy for the job thumb3d.gif

Dave_Darling
Indeed, I think his previous experience will all come in handy keeping us spoiled kids in line!!! smile.gif

Congrats, Dave!

--DD
davep
Thanks for all of the support guys. I've been digging into the forum to become more familiar with it.
Tom, yes, the moyen is the variety that we breed; whites & silvers mostly. Caniche.
Mark, many thanks for prodding me to step forward.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 13 2018, 09:19 AM) *

Also, it's probably better to put your well wishes for Pat at his original post which Andy linked above, & here again below:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=325692

While I don't know if Pat will look back at it again with all that he's got going on, he probably won't look at this thread at all.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Yeah I did Tom, but took a while.
Pat Garvey
I am so very pleased to see Dave p take over the O forum. I hate it that I can rarely participate with this group because it has meant so much to me through the years.

My body and heart will not let me do what I could do even 6 years ago, and my wife had PD and dementia. Every day is a challenge. Thanks to all of you through the years.

Looks like my car will be coming up for sale soon, with all the NOS and restored parts. Not certain when that may be, but soon.

Thanks all of you! P
Tom_T
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 24 2018, 08:59 PM) *

I am so very pleased to see Dave p take over the O forum. I hate it that I can rarely participate with this group because it has meant so much to me through the years.

My body and heart will not let me do what I could do even 6 years ago, and my wife had PD and dementia. Every day is a challenge. Thanks to all of you through the years.

Looks like my car will be coming up for sale soon, with all the NOS and restored parts. Not certain when that may be, but soon.

Thanks all of you! P

Thanx for all your years serving us here on the O&H details which you lived!

Wish you & your wife the best.

You are missed! beerchug.gif

Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.