Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT style bumper pattern
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wes
I’m planning on going to a front oil cooler so would like to do the GT style bumper and valance. Is there a known pattern for the cutout on the bumper that anyone has found or what have others done on a steal bumper? I have a early OEM bumper to work with.
Thanks!
ConeDodger
McMark did mine. Ask him...
mepstein
If you are going to use a glass valance, do the mirror image on the bumper.
wes
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 12 2018, 06:54 PM) *

If you are going to use a glass valance, do the mirror image on the bumper.

I very likely will use a glass valance and that was my first thought although would very much so like to use steel valance and just thought if I can get a pattern that would be best.
Justinp71
Wes- Are you going to do the work yourself? I wonder if we can get a group buy going on fabricating these bumpers. I know there are a few of us that would be interested in a Steel GT front bumper.

wes
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 12 2018, 10:28 PM) *

Wes- Are you going to do the work yourself? I wonder if we can get a group buy going on fabricating these bumpers. I know there are a few of us that would be interested in a Steel GT front bumper.

Wishing I had the talent to do it myself. Actually a group buy is a great idea.
Any ideas on a bumper shop that might be interested doing the fabrication?
My bumper is going to need some work before the GT work.
wes
Wishing Mark was still here!
wes
Just noticed Erick mentioned for fabrication of a GT bumper in another thread! Shipping is a big addition $$.
mb911
I could do all the fabrication work but need bumpers to do it on and there just is no source at this point. 914rubber is working on a possible group buy. Haven't seen Mark Henry in a while but he has a buck he made..
McMark
I'm doing one now. Sent the bumper out to have the chrome stripped first and waiting for it to come back. You DON'T want to start cutting and welding on a chromed bumper. You also don't want to grind the welds smooth, let the rechrome shop handle that.

As for the shape, as mentioned, get a fiberglass valence and match the two to each other. Make sure the bumper fits on your car before you start. Make sure the opening is centered on the bumper. Make sure the left and right sides match and the top of the opening is level with the bumper top/bottom. And finally, for the best look, make sure to add in the walls going back to the body.

It's a big ass job to do right. If you want a 'group buy' I would recommend talking to the stainless bumper suppliers and see about getting them to make them. That would be the cheapest and easiest, overall.
Larmo63
McMark did Rob's bumper on the silver GT above, and his is the best I've seen on a steel bumper car.

I've seen a few fiberglass versions well done, but you sacrifice a small amount of safety for not much weight savings.
wes
I’ve seen Robs car a number of times (with envy I’ll say every thing about his car is perfect) and I think I remember seeing a thread Mark did on it as well.
echocanyons
I asked Eric and PMB to do one for my car. It turned out really well and it was reasonably priced.
Justinp71
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 13 2018, 04:51 AM) *

I could do all the fabrication work but need bumpers to do it on and there just is no source at this point. 914rubber is working on a possible group buy. Haven't seen Mark Henry in a while but he has a buck he made..

Ya I was hoping to get a set from Mark Henry, but it’s been awhile. He did mention he was suppose to get new samples for approval I think in December so it may still be alive, dunno.

I was thinking a group buy specifically for people with a metal bumper that want them converted to a gt bumper. Other issue is most metal bumpers need other cosmetic fixes too.
effutuo101
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Mar 13 2018, 08:31 PM) *

I asked Eric and PMB to do one for my car. It turned out really well and it was reasonably priced.

Love the violet!
Mueller
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Mar 13 2018, 09:31 PM) *

Dang, that bumper is so perfect it almost looks photoshopped with that reflection!

To my pea sized brain, it seems like one could throw a bumper up on a large CNC mill / router and cut out the opening.

Then fabricate a separate piece that follows the shape and bond it to the backside (epoxy or braze) . It really depends on how one wants the transition from front of bumper to the opening. Ideally you'd want the radius to match the valance but if you didn't care as much?

dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have done many by hand and then got them rechromed. We could do a run from our supplier in vietnam I am sure but we would probably need a commitment for 30 of them, and they would be 1500 each, yet stainless and perfect. Probably just not worth it, yet finding chrome bumpers to cut fit and rechrome is very hard, and mild steel bumpers will just not do.
ValcoOscar
I like Jim's (lucky9146)

Click to view attachment

Oscar
Mueller
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 14 2018, 08:36 AM) *

I like Jim's (lucky9146)

Click to view attachment

Oscar

Someone needs to learn how to tie their shoe laces smile.gif

That is a nice bumper.
burton73
PMB Performance did mine. They say there are great platers in Sandy UT.

Bob BClick to view attachment
McMark
Jim's (lucky9146) Looks pretty great! Having the added material to complete the inside, instead of a simple cutout makes all the difference.

I don't think I've seen that valence either. Did he make/modify it himself? Wait.... is that steel as well???
ValcoOscar

QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 14 2018, 10:21 AM) *

Jim's (lucky9146) Looks pretty great! Having the added material to complete the inside, instead of a simple cutout makes all the difference.

I don't think I've seen that valence either. Did he make/modify it himself? Wait.... is that steel as well???

agree.gif

I also like the finishing metal details...looks sweet in person.

smilie_pokal.gif

wes
I really don’t think that a group buy is going to work with this due to bumper conditions mine anyway. I’m looking at having it done right now.
wes
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 15 2018, 12:11 PM) *

piratenanner.gif getting me excited!
JOEPROPER
Get that dog a set of goggles.

Nice work!
gothspeed
QUOTE(JOEPROPER @ Mar 15 2018, 12:41 PM) *

Get that dog a set of goggles.

Nice work!
+1 biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.