Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear wheel bearing races
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
I'm doing my rear wheel bearings, and I just finished reading Eric Shea's procedure on replacing them. I understand everything, except how to remove the races. Eric says that you should see a lip, but I see no lip. I'm assuming that the races press out from the rear, and come out the front of the hub, right? So how do I get a punch into ththe deep hole on the back of the control arm to get out the race? I guess a really long punch is needed? Or am I looking at this totally wrong? Help!

d914
big socket on an extension and a 5lb bfh. I bought a one in set cheap, just to pound on...
Eric_Shea
You should see a lip there Chief.

It's a small one but it's there. Use a long punch or a screwdriver you don't mind losing. I use an air hammer and the pointed bit to get the edge. You've got to be carefull not to move one side too far or it will get stuck. The lip is about 1/8th" or less. Once you move it down a bit you'll have more to rap on. Heat helps as well.

Eric_Shea
big socket on an extension and a 5lb bfh. I bought a one in set cheap, just to pound on...

I don't think that will work here Greg. He only has the race left. Sometimes the bearings come apart just leaving the race. If it's only the race, the entrance hole from the back is too narrow for a socket to get in there and work.
mike_the_man
Ok, there may have been a really really small lip. I was trying to get a screw driver on it, but couldn't seem to do it. I'll try some heat and see what happens.

Thanks guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.