Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wipers park position
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
I was thinking there was some kind of adjustment if a person wants the wipers to park on the left, or right hand side, but don't recall?
Rand
Isn't it just a matter of swapping and reclocking the blades?
mepstein
Parking on the left is much better unless you live in an area that doesn’t rain.
windforfun
And the damn wiper on the driver's side, if parked on this side, will overlap the windshield trim.
mepstein
QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 13 2018, 09:00 PM) *

And the damn wiper on the driver's side, if parked on this side, will overlap the windshield trim.

Not if it’s adjusted right
windforfun
Cool. Obvious. Good to know. I 've seen so many not adjusted correctly.
fixer34
You mean like this? Green one in the center of the photo.

Remove the wiper motor/assembly, loosen the arm on the motor and rotate it 180 degrees. Reinstall but do not attach wiper arms. Park the wipers, install wiper arms pointing toward the passenger side. Cycle the wipers to make sure they move like you want, then tighten the arms.

It may be possible to get to the motor arm with everything in the car...

Click to view attachment
windforfun
I see mucho driver's side windshield trim overlap. Is this the factory setting?
branston
Wiper reversal

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...er_reversal.htm
gms
I like them parked on the passenger side

Click to view attachment
SKL1
When I reassembled my "71 after a respray in 1988 I must have screwed up the wiring because they parked on pass side by accident. I adjusted them to park like the car above this post and liked them that way so I kept them. When I reassembled my '73 after the restoration I actually put the wires back on correctly so they park like the original. Kept them like that so I now have one of each...

( I luckily essentially never use the wipers anyway so it doesn't matter.)
Firstcar
QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 13 2018, 09:15 PM) *

No this is the factory setting:
Click to view attachment
SKL1
Parked on the right...Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
Parked on the right side. Or as some would say, "the correct side". av-943.gif
Larmo63
Porsche engineers designed them to park on the left (driver's) side so the first sweep cleans the water AWAY from the driver's vision.

You can buy right hand park wiper arms, btw. They are bent the proper way to the right.
Wyvern
I have flipped them on 911s and 914s ... to do it correctly I modify the arm to put the kink in it going the needed direction . I have done this by heating and bending and also cutting and welding. If you don't do this it looks odd.

trick-e
Convert to a right hand drive. That’s also an option.
Coondog
Lots of Lefties in this pic....
Click to view attachment
A&P Mech
My wipers don't automatically go to a park position when they are cancelled. They just stop wherever they happen to be in the cycle when the switch is turned off. After reading through this thread, I am assuming they should? Any idea what could cause this?
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 14 2018, 02:10 AM) *

Porsche engineers designed them to park on the left (driver's) side so the first sweep cleans the water AWAY from the driver's vision.

You can buy right hand park wiper arms, btw. They are bent the proper way to the right.

agree.gif parked on the right moves all the water directly in front of the driver and leaves it there. If you are moving, it flows up the windshield. So the driver’s side is always wet. Parking on the left directs the water coming off the hood away from the drivers field of vision.
Bartlett 914
I just did a quick scan of the parking lot. Every car without exception had the wipers park on the right. Why water hitting the 914 windshield would be different escapes me
mepstein
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 14 2018, 04:46 PM) *

I just did a quick scan of the parking lot. Every car without exception had the wipers park on the right. Why water hitting the 914 windshield would be different escapes me

It’s a Porsche / performance car thing. But it’s your car...
douglastic
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Mar 14 2018, 12:46 PM) *

I believe that is because you are looking at newer cars - they swipe with the drivers arm almost vertical against the driver A-pillar - leaving a much more cleared area overall for driver's view.

914s park almost horizontal and have a mirrored image swipe pattern, resulting in clearing the same amount for both driver and passenger regardless of which side they park on. The difference is they park higher up on the window (visible) and newer cars park way down under the hood cowl more (less visible)

That's my unofficial observation anyway!

idea.gif
Bartlett 914
Pretty good answer!

QUOTE(douglastic @ Mar 14 2018, 04:34 PM) *

I believe that is because you are looking at newer cars - they swipe with the drivers arm almost vertical against the driver A-pillar - leaving a much more cleared area overall for driver's view.

914s park almost horizontal and have a mirrored image swipe pattern, resulting in clearing the same amount for both driver and passenger regardless of which side they park on. The difference is they park higher up on the window (visible) and newer cars park way down under the hood cowl more (less visible)

That's my unofficial observation anyway!

idea.gif

mgphoto
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Mar 14 2018, 04:36 AM) *

My wipers don't automatically go to a park position when they are cancelled. They just stop wherever they happen to be in the cycle when the switch is turned off. After reading through this thread, I am assuming they should? Any idea what could cause this?

Hello A&P Mech,
I took a look at the factory repair manual and found that your problem could be related to the switch located in the wiper motor.

There is a round disk attached to the bearing housing on the motor (section of the motor which houses the worm gear), this is a switch. When switched off, the sweep contacts on the disk, within the unit keeps the power flowing until it reaches the parked section, power does not flow, wipers stop.

This repair can be a very tough one. The manual says everything has to come out, fuel tank, fresh air blower and than the rack for the wiper motor.
Good luck!
mgphoto

A quick look at Jaguar UK and the right hand drive cars have the wipers on the right.
We drive left hand cars here in the US so left hand wipers.
rgalla9146
Failure to go to the park position is a wiring issue.
If my memory is any good..... early car with dash mounted switch ? it is more likely at the switch.
If it is a later car it is probably at the motor.
A&P Mech
mgphoto and rgalla9146, thanks for the Information! I will pull the wiper motor and take a look.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Firstcar @ Mar 13 2018, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Mar 13 2018, 09:15 PM) *

No this is the factory setting:

Click to view attachment

This is good info. Looks "funny" tho, so I am guessing not very many folks have them adjusted like this.

I like my drivers wiper to be a bit longer and stop a bit shorter. It does touch the trim. Looks like it touches the trim here too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.