Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Master Cylinder Install Video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hi Guys,

Another day, another video. I'm kinda feeling ike the 914 version of Netflix.

Here's the 914 Rubber MC install. It's a really nice unit that's pretty simple and straightforward to swap in, but if you're unsure of anything, please have a pro mechanic check your work. Be safe and enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6ZHK5f_9bE

Ian

76-914
You might want to R&R those banjo washers before you fill it with fluid. Personally, I prefer to bench bleed the MC before installation but it can be bled in place once installed. It's just a little more work. beerchug.gif
iankarr
Thanks for pointing that out, Kent. Good catch. I knew I forgot to mention something wink.gif Reservoir filled and no leaks so far. New washers on order....

As far as bench bleeding is concerned, I, also have always done it on the bench, but since the reservoir isn't attached to our MC's, it's a bit cumbersome to rig for that. I'm sure I'd spill brake fluid all over the place. I'm planning on using the open system gravity method. Will post the results when done.

Keep the comments coming. Happy to revise the video if necessary. I def want to provide accurate info. On brakes especially.
Dion
Nice work on the videos Ian. Appreciate it!
It was like watching Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs! :-)
iankarr
Thanks Dion. Mike Rowe is a bit of hero to me, so that's really nice to hear. If you have a chance, watch his series on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/ReturningTheFavor/

And support his vocational education initiative, Mike Rowe Works:
http://profoundlydisconnected.com
Dion
Will do. I watch “This old House” on PBS. He had a nice segment on there to
get the kids back into the trades. Cool fellow.
Carry on! :-)
Mueller
Another great video, thanks.

Anyone know the part number for the hose kit? I don't see it on the 914rubber website and I didn't order it with my master cylinder.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 15 2018, 01:51 PM) *

Another great video, thanks.

Anyone know the part number for the hose kit? I don't see it on the 914rubber website and I didn't order it with my master cylinder.

If 914rubber doesn’t have it, PMB does.
Mikey914
If you mean the rubber short sections we can do that up as a kit. We also can provide the plastic tube, only have not pre-bent it. at least yet, Eric may already have that covered.
mark
PanelBilly
The video is nice but it shows the master cylinder with the steering rack removed. Attaching the hoses to the barbs when the rack is in place is a challenge. I ended up attaching the hoses before I bolted the master cylinder to the car. Laying on your back makes it even more difficult.
messick
So, I installed my 914Rubber using this video, but after rewatching after I was done, I noticed that I put my worm style hose clamp at the top of the inside hose, rather than on the bottom like @cuddy_k did the video. Since nothing that came with the MC said where to put the worm one verses the other three, I figured it really didn't matter. But, I'm wondering if anyone has had an experience that would make it worth it for me to pull out the MC and switch the clamps around.
iankarr
Do you mean at the top of the barb, rather than where it meets the MC? If so, as long as the clamp is compressing the hose against the barb...and no fluid is leaking, it shouldn't matter.

I hope the video was helpful!
messick
Well, I need to send my calipers to PMB and get them back before I put in brake fluid in, so no idea if it's going to leak just yet. biggrin.gif

But yeah, your videos are very helpful.
Mikey914
The screw version clamp was included as the rear line is close to the bulkhead. The other type are a spring type. It really doesn’t matter which one you use where. Just make sure to have it all the way on the nipple. The top is a gravity feed with no real pressure so as long the the “plumbing “ is secure there should be no leaks.
We have seen that the hoses at the base of the reservoir can leak if they are degraded and fluid can sweat out of non hydraulic rated hoses and leak down the lines, so if you have a leak that you just can’t see where it’s coming from. Check those hoses.
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.