Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP Wiring/turn signal issue!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Greg Bell
Guys,

My 914 has issues. The driver's side turn signal some time works, some time does not. When the signal does not work--both turn signal arrows in the tach will blink. When it does work, only the right arrow will blink. WTF? I presume this is a wiring issue? How do I fix this?
914GT
QUOTE (Greg Bell @ Jun 4 2005, 07:14 PM)
Guys,

My 914 has issues. The driver's side turn signal some time works, some time does not. When the signal does not work--both turn signal arrows in the tach will blink. When it does work, only the right arrow will blink. WTF? I presume this is a wiring issue? How do I fix this?

Might be bad turn signal relay.
Rand
I would take apart all the turn signal covers/buckets and clean all the bulb contacts and grounds before buying any new parts. That needs to be done anyway on these old cars, and I've found it will fix a lot of these quirks. If there is oxidation/corrosion on the tabs, a little sandpaper will work wonders. Maybe a cone-shaped wire brush tip in a drill to get into tight spots. Some WD40 sprayed on the contacts before putting the bulbs back in... This treatment solved my turn signal problems.
Joe Bob
Grounds....
Greg Bell
Rand,

That sounds reasonable. We have had some rain here the last few days.
markb
QUOTE ("*" @ Jun 4 2005, 08:01 PM)
Grounds....

agree.gif

BTW, Zois, the puckered caption is priceless......tasteless too, but priceless. laugh.gif
Greg Bell
So what exactly do I look for--and where?
Greg Bell
Guys! I determined that the turn signal socket was corroded. But as I was cleaning the middle bulb--I pulled it in half taking it out! What bulb is this? Can I get it locally?
boxstr
Get the socket part of the light bulb that you left in the tailight housing assy and you will be able to tell what bulb you need, or just look at the one on the opposite side, that might help. Good luck.
CCLINLUCASPRINCEOFDARKNESS
Mueller
QUOTE (Greg Bell @ Jun 4 2005, 10:40 PM)
Guys! I determined that the turn signal socket was corroded. But as I was cleaning the middle bulb--I pulled it in half taking it out! What bulb is this? Can I get it locally?

nothing special about the bulbs...go down to the local autoparts store and look in the catalog.......they should have or can get all of them.....

for less than $20 you should be able to buy all the turn signal/brake light bulbs

look for brown wires going to a body attachment point...one is near the relay board...the wiring diagram in your haynes manual will help
scruz914
QUOTE (Greg Bell @ Jun 4 2005, 09:49 PM)

Another place to look is under the fender where the wires go from the trunk to the signal light housing. The wires are covered by a rubber boot that can get beat up and trashed by all the crap that is thrown around under the fenders. You may want to pull your signal housings completely off and check where the wires enter the socket. I agree that the problem sounds like a poor ground which can be anywhere in the ground circuit. Having a bulb's glass seperate from its base is common. It can cause an intermittent short. Luckily, as Mike said, there is nothing special about the bulbs and they can be purchased everywhere.
rhodyguy
glad you found the problem. fyi, there are multiple brown wires, grounds, on the rear of the headlight buckets, near the headlight motors on little threaded posts. easy to get to and most always are in need of rust and corrosion removal.

k
watsonrx13
Greg very appropriate thread for me also. Today I installed my front turn signal buckets and everything works except the driver's side parking light. I switched the bulbs, no change. Then switched the buckets, no change. Both blinkers are working. It appears that there is a loose wire somewhere in the harness. I guess I'll have to check the continuity between the bucket and the fuse panel and go from there. Hopefully you'll be able to trace your problem also, good luck...

BTW, the bulbs are dual element types, with the pins at different heights. Remove the metal base from the socket and take it to your FLAPS, they should have some in stock.

smrz914
As for both the guage lights blinking (dimly)...that is normal. I found that when there isn't enough current flow throught the blinkers then both lights flash. This is to tell you that you have a light that is out. On other cars the lights blink faster to tell you one is out. Only one should blink when averything is properly in place. I think there are some cars that always blink both at the same time.
Greg Bell
Fixed everything with brass brush and new bulb. unfortunately, found two small rust holes under the outer edge of the buckets, not terrible--but probably need to be fixed. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.