Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Cap Advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ross
Does anyone have any advice on a good gas cap? I have a 72 1.7. Whenever I make a left turn I smell gas. I know there are a couple of different ones out there. I think I need the metal one.

Thanks for any help, Ross
jmitro
914rubber makes the seals:
https://shop.914rubber.com/914-Early-gas-ca...eal-914EGCS.htm

but there are several other potential sources of leaks at the top of the tank so make sure you isolate the source correctly
mepstein
Yes, you need the metal one. There a 3 rubber seals at the top of the tank. Gas cap, Seal under the gas fill, seal under the gas gauge sender. I would take the time to replace all 3.
Ross
Thanks guys. I have replaced the snout seal and the seal for the fuel gauge sender. I think, based upon process of elimination that it is the gas cap. It's old.

On a side note - I kicked around whether I should test my process by putting rubber glove material (or some other kind of material) over the gas tank snout and then putting the gas cap on and see if I get the smell. Thoughts?
GregAmy
Are you sure it's the cap? I had a problem with gas smell and some drips on left turns, especially when the tank was fuller, and it was rust holes in the tank on the rub strips against the firewall.
Ross
I think the tank is fine. It was a good used one I put in about a year ago. (But I know... w these cars anything is possible)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.