Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7:27 R&P gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rog914
The Sportomatic transaxles had a 7:27 R&P gear in them. Will they fit in a 5 speed 914 transaxle? Seems like it would make a great daily highway driver with better fuel economy. Has anybody tried or know if it fits or will bolt in to the 914 transaxle?

Ralph

74 2.0
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Rog914 @ Jun 4 2005, 06:37 PM)
The Sportomatic transaxles had a 7:27 R&P gear in them. Will they fit in a 5 speed 914 transaxle? Seems like it would make a great daily highway driver with better fuel economy. Has anybody tried or know if it fits or will bolt in to the 914 transaxle?

Ralph

74 2.0

agree.gif confused24.gif idea.gif cool_shades.gif idea.gif
Aaron Cox
i think this was answered on the PP 911 board.....

gut instinct says the 905 sporto stuff is incompatable
KenH
I believe the 901 & 905 used the same parts. I know the gears, syncros and shifting sleeves are the same. If you have a chance to get the 7:27 pick it up and compare it to the 901.

Ken

To my knowledge, the sporto is based on the 901 cool.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (0396 @ Jun 5 2005, 10:29 AM)
To my knowledge, the sporto is based on the 901 cool.gif

the 905 is based on the 901;
the 925 is based on the 915 ...

but AFAIK no 925 ever had a 7:27 R&P.

don't forget that Sportos were 4-speeds. donno right offhand if there a difference between the 4-speed and 5-speed output shaft, but i know the mainshafts are different...
KenH
925 IS 7:27

KEN
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (KenH @ Jun 5 2005, 10:41 PM)
925 IS 7:27

you are correct; i see that 8:27 was also available as well.
Aaron Cox
so does it fit? biggrin.gif
KenH
I would say yes, based on the fact all the other parts are interchangable, but I have not tried it.
If you get it from an existing transmission try and get all the Pinon shaft shims and the shims under the bearings on the differential. The new ring & pinion gear will have to be "fitted" to the 901 case. Spare shims will help in setting the Pinon depth and backlash. If you need any more assiatance just ask.

Ken
rick 918-S
So where does a guy find a dead Sporto box?

And if you found one what is a Sporto R&P worth?.... confused24.gif

How does this compare to the "H" gear change in terms of a final drive?

How would that effect the first through forth gear set?

Too many questions... wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
it effectively makes ALL gears slightly taller.....

H gear makes your 5th gear taller.
if you like your 1-4 ratios, just go H gear,
if you want to make 1-5 "taller" buy a 7:27 r/p
ewdysar
Does this mean that there are 8:27 R&P sets available for the 915?

you are correct; i see that 8:27 was also available as well.
Aaron Cox
for a 901, you would need a 905 sporto....

for a 915 you would need a 925 sporto correct?
davep
I am fortunate in having found a sporto box some years ago. I have not disassembled it to try anything, but I may get a chance to compare part #'s.

One caution about changing the final drive to lower RPM's is that lugging the engine is the foremost cause of overheating heads. The opinion of many people is that 2.0 head cracks are found mostly in the south due to traffic congestion lowering speeds so that the engine is lugging a lot of the time, and in addition to higher ambient temperatures will cause overheating.
Aaron Cox
good point but - both rick and ewdsyar have v8's wink.gif
not a good idea for 4cyl or 6cyl porsche motors
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (rick 918-S @ Jun 6 2005, 08:22 AM)
So where does a guy find a dead Sporto box?

And if you found one what is a Sporto R&P worth?.... confused24.gif

How does this compare to the "H" gear change in terms of a final drive?

How would that effect the first through forth gear set?

Too many questions... wacko.gif

"How"?, you ask. Simple! You grovel at the feet of The Cap'n, begging him to sell you one. Same way you get an "H" gear ..................... The Cap'n
eeyore
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 6 2005, 12:05 PM)
You grovel at the feet of The Cap'n, begging him to sell you one.

"How much?" he says in simple supplication
Cap'n Krusty
For the tranny or for the "H" gear? Well, they're the same price ....$200. The Cap'n
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 6 2005, 12:34 PM)
For the tranny or for the "H" gear? Well, they're the same price ....$200. The Cap'n

thats a deal! i though H's went for ~300
Eric_Shea
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Mark, I think the Cap'n was pretty specific in stating both "Grovel" and "Beg" in his post. There was "nothing" about simple supplication. confused24.gif

You may begin Grovelling and begging now.

biggrin.gif
eeyore
How about

Oh high and mighty Cap'n! Sultan of Santa Maria. King of Krust! Tyrant of transmissions and gatherer of gears!

Although I have falsely titled myself to be the buster of clouds (a title which presumes elevate me to the stars) I come to thee penitently, to prostrate myself prone-ly to pitch for purchasing of some parts.

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Please, please, please be persuaded to ponder parting with....

A HERRING!

No, a sport-o-matic. Specifically a 7:27 R&P for a 901

Eric_Shea
pretty good idea.gif
bondo
Wowie, what a deal. I'd have to do some math before figuring out if I'd want a 7:27 R&P, as I already have the H gear.

(calculate calculate)

Whoo, 2000 RPM at 70 mph in the highest gear.. imagine the gas mileage! Might have to go to an A maindashaft tho.. Hmm, I have a couple of those... biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
You'd have to clutch it and blip the throttle every 50 miles or so to get the carbon out but hey... with gas at $23.68 a gallon, might be good! smilie_pokal.gif
eeyore
Aren't the Pinion and the 2nd gear attached to the same shaft in 901s?

So I'd have to hope a sporto 2nd gear (1st?) gear is the same ratio?
redshift
QUOTE (bondo @ Jun 6 2005, 04:29 PM)
Whoo, 2000 RPM at 70 mph in the highest gear.. imagine the gas mileage! Might have to go to an A maindashaft tho.. Hmm, I have a couple of those... biggrin.gif

rolleyes.gif Uhh... your heads HATE YOU.. or they would.

These cars rev like they do for a reason, if they didn't, they'd melt.

You get about 1/2 more miles out of a motor run between 3500-4500 than you do a motor run from 2500-3500... or so..

I owned 3-4 cars before I figgered out how to drive them... under 3 grand til warm, and then hwy shifting at 4000... I will stay in 4th until 75 or thereabouts. That's being easy on it.. low revs are tough on it.. lug-lug-lug..

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Jun 6 2005, 05:05 PM)
Aren't the Pinion and the 2nd gear attached to the same shaft in 901s?

no.

2nd gear (1st in 4-speeds...) is fixed to the MAINSHAFT.
nothing is fixed to the pinion shaft.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 6 2005, 05:13 PM)
... your heads HATE YOU.. or they would....

it was pretty clear in the context of this thread that it's the V8 guys (with watercooled heads...) who are interested in dropping the rev range.
Mr.C
BEEATCHIN! I have that ring and pinion. smilie_pokal.gif So what will it drop your RPM, say at 70?
redshift
Oh yeah...

The R&P is the weakest link... uhh... more leverage ain't going to be good.

I am stupid sleepy.. stupid.

M
eeyore
Here's some whacky math

If you do the flipped 3rd & 5th, plus the 'S' 4th, then apply a 7:27 R&P, you get ratios for 3 - 5 that are close to stock.

BUT, you get a much higher 1st and 2nd, with a closer delta between 2nd and 3rd.

This seems like a long way around to get what a stock 914/6 box delivers.

(Hard to see, sorry)
Black = stock (blue for 1st and 2nd)
Blue = flipped 3rd & 5th, plus the 'S' 4th. 7:31 R&P
Green = flipped 3rd & 5th, plus the 'S' 4th. 7:27 R&P
KenH
Buy the whole transmission. The clutch was electrically actuated and normally shifted without gringing, you may find good dog teeth and sliders that can be used during a rebuild.

Ken
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (KenH @ Jun 6 2005, 06:34 PM)
Buy the whole transmission. The clutch was electrically actuated...

sorta...

the vacuum servo was electrically actuated. the vacuum servo - if properly adjusted - operated the clutch...

still a good idea to buy the whole thing, because you're never going to find a good R&P cheaper, and the remaining parts (stuff like the mainshaft...) are bound to be worth something to someone some day.

donno if John is throwing in the vacuum servo clutch parts, but if you've got the room to store 'em, i would...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jun 6 2005, 02:38 PM)

donno if John is throwing in the vacuum servo clutch parts, but if you've got the room to store 'em, i would...

John's NOT offering the whole tranny. After some thought, the thing needs to come aopart for inspection, and the freight's gonna be relatively prohibitive for a whole gearbox which is of little value to someone without sporto experience. Unfortunately, I have that experience ................. The Cap'n
bondo
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 6 2005, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jun 6 2005, 02:38 PM)

John's NOT offering the whole tranny. After some thought, the thing needs to come aopart for inspection, and the freight's gonna be relatively prohibitive for a whole gearbox which is of little value to someone without sporto experience. Unfortunately, I have that experience ................. The Cap'n

Yup, I'm thinking for my V8 conversion. The firebird I took the LT1 out of had a 6 speed trans, and in 6th it was About 2200-2300 RPM on the highway. If it can do that pushing a firebird, I bet 2k RPM in a 914 would work fine. Now I just needto figure out if I want to pay $200 for it, if it's even still available. Hey cap'n, has that puppy been claimed yet? No freight needed for me! smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
You're second in line, Royce .................... The Cap'n
Cap'n Krusty
bondo
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 6 2005, 06:25 PM)

I'll step out of the line now... unless it comes with a mainshaft somewhere between A and F. smile.gif (A would be too low, F too high... and that's all I have)
Aaron Cox
ahh... a GA mainshaft?

i have a 4 spd mainshaft which has a first gear stuck on it smile.gif biggrin.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jun 6 2005, 10:24 PM)
ahh... a GA mainshaft?

i have a 4 spd mainshaft which has a first gear stuck on it smile.gif biggrin.gif

That's what I have too. It has an A where 2nd would be for a 914. Too low for a V8 tho, even with the sporto R&P. A GA mainshaft is from a 914-6, and still has 2nd gear as part of it. A GA is actually higher than the F that a 914-4 comes with. I'd need something like a C, CA, or D mainshaft.. not sure those even exist. I'd best just leave well enough along and stick with what I was doing (standard re-ratioed 901).
Aaron Cox
yeah, you need a 904 main, and weld on your magical gear for 2nd.

could you go

C, HA/HB, Q, ZA, H?

tallest gears available - stock 5th becomes 4th.... H becomes 5th?

still a 5 speed
bondo
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jun 6 2005, 11:36 PM)
yeah, you need a 904 main, and weld on your magical gear for 2nd.

could you go

C, HA/HB, Q, ZA, H?

tallest gears available - stock 5th becomes 4th.... H becomes 5th?

still a 5 speed

I've never seen anything but an A that fits where 1st goes in a 5 speed (splines are different). I know they must exist, but that is big money territory. Besides, the cantilevered gear setup isn't strong enough for a V8.

I think I'll be happy with a 4 speed. This engine was originally mated to a 6 speed.. It was annoying to drive, because the torque range is huge. I could probably get by with a 3 speed! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.