Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I found the 914-6 PICKUP!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
URY914
OK boys and girls, now settle down and have a seat. I going to tell you a little story about a very special custom 914...

Yesterday I went down to West Palm Beach to pickup a 914 I saw on Samba. com (but that is a story in itself and worth a sperate thread). I stopped by Gunnar Racing on my way back to Tampa. I knew they only let people in on Sat if someone stops by, not on a weekday. Well I walk in and I'm greeted by Kevin Jeannette himself. I ask if I can look around and shoot some pictures and he says "Sure, but only on Sat." He tells the other guy to unlock the doors and let me look around. He takes me over to the "museum" to look around. Than through the engine shop. He would only let me take pictures in the museum, not in the shops. I guess some of these owners don't want thier cars all over the internet before they can see them. All the cars in the museum you can see on his website. I saw in the shop and the museum, a BFG 962, Holbert 962, Momo Moby Dick, another Moby Dick which was stripped to the tub, a Holbert 911 Carrera, a 908, two 904's, two 914's (more on them in a minute), a least eight 911s, a 962 street car, Martini 935 factory car, and a 906 and a 934. He said the Interscope 1980 Indy car just left last week. Also two 910 tube frame copies and a Brumos GT3. And the engine shop, my God, I've never seen so many P-car engines in my life. Must have been two dozen sitting around.

This is where it gets good. As we’re walking between the museum and the engine shop I see a 914 kinda in the corner on jackstands (of course). It’s facing towards me so I only notice the front and it has GT flares and is painted orange. I look at the right rear quarter panel and it seems a little different. Than it hits me, OH MY GOD, THAT’S ONE OF THE TWO 914 PICK-UP TRUCKS!!!! They were built by Troutman around 1979. One was built for Dennis Aase (a -4) and one was kept by Troutman, the -6. This one is the -6. Both cars were used for delivering parts

We get back over to the other building were Kevin is and I ask him about all it. Let me try to remember everything he told me. Back when Kevin still had his shop in Southern Cali, he told Troutman if he ever wanted to sell it, he’d buy it. One day he calls and will sell it for $12,500, this was in about 1981-2 and was a pretty good amount, but he bought, he said. He moves to Florida to crew for several IMSA teams and brings the car with him. He drives it daily. In 1986, he is driving it into the track at Daytona for registration and a guy in a Camaro hits him and rips the front bumper off and does a little damage to the hood. He continues to drive it around town without a bumper and it is beginning to need some work. He calls a friend at another shop up north about restoring it and sends it to him. Kevin says he just didn’t have the time to work on his own car. The car sits for A YEAR OUTSIDE at the guy’s shop and he doesn’t touch it. He has it sent back to Florida and Kevin strips it down and primes it orange. This is in 1996. He said it was an original orange car when Troutman build it, but he painted it sepia brown as in the pictures. He said it also has 908 front calipers and a few other odd pieces. It now has GT flares on the front.

He said he would never sell it. Maybe he will let his son have it one day. I told him I had a couple of magazine articles and pictures that I would email him. You could tell he really likes the car. He also said the -4 sold recently and he thought it was in Colorado. I couldn't take pictures of it but he said when he gets my articles he would post them on his website with some of his own pictures.

I told him about the 3000 or so wacked out 914 guys in the 914Club and he said he look us up and use us if he needed anything. I'll email him a link to this thread to see if he wants to add anything.

Needless to say it was a blast and Kevin's a great guy! We looked at the car I had just bought and he said he needed a right rear lense for one of his cars. Of course, I unscrewed it right then and give it to him. He traded me some shirts for it. biggrin.gif

Paul smilie_pokal.gif
URY914
color
URY914
This is the -6 that I saw.
URY914
biggrin.gif
URY914
biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
Very cool Paul. rolleyes.gif
URY914
BTW, I did a Google search for "914 Pickup" just to see what else I could find.

This came up. I about laughed my ass off! Who knew John Deere built 914 headers for only the two 914 pickups ever built.

http://www.consignall.ca/browse/listing.ph...php?itemID=4594

Paul screwy.gif
Part Pricer

I looked at the sticker in the back window of that pickup and wondered...

What ever happened to the 914-6 Club? biggrin.gif
Jeroen
cool stuff!
hope they're gonna put it on theire website as the resto progresses
rick 918-S
COOL! wub.gif
TJB/914
Wow Paul

What a wonderful find & story!!!

I bet this is the tip of the story. Wonder how the front flairs got installed?? Hopefully the new owner will share more details. I love this kind of story. This could be a long running thread. I would love to see it painted the original "Orange".
Name it "Orange Juice Wagon".

Tom
URY914
I emailed Kevin and included a link to this thread.

I hope he joins in.
ein 6er
congrates on the new 914!!! see if you can keep the sawall away from this one!!!

glad i missed the tease thread, the suspense of a lost 914, nearly in my own back yard, would have killed me!!

great find and cool story!!!! clap.gif i gotta get down there one day!!

SirAndy
schweet! smilie_pokal.gif

always wondered what happend to those 2 cars ...
idea.gif Andy
Gint
Cool find Paul!
tat2dphreak
Great Find!!! when will he let you un-veil pics of it? hide.gif it needs a progress thread!
Joe Bob
Wonder if the model in the Aase ad has weathered the years better than the car(s) did....
Qarl
So did the pickup have any 916 parts on it?

TJB/914
What's happening in Florida??

Notice how everything is moving from CA to FL.
Shaq went to the Heat.
914-trucks went to FL.
All the expensive real estate is moving to FL.
The best 914's are showing up in FL.
Qarl lives in FL
You get the idea?

Tom
BTW
I am moving to FL in about 2-years. Go Figure.
Joe Bob
Ya sure they will let you in???
wink.gif
GWN7
Great find smilie_pokal.gif

I've spent several hours reading restoration threads on Kevins web site. A great place to be inspired to what can be done.

beerchug.gif
seanery
thanks for sharing the story paul!
p914
I like the batmobile red pinstripes. biggrin.gif
redshift
rolleyes.gif

Oh my God, I had hoped I'd never have to look at that again.

smile.gif

M
brant
Paul,

the -4 pick up is in colorado.
I don't take responsibility for finding it... Another of our club members did.

but the new owner has asked not to have his name or anything put out in public.

Needless to say he has an AMAZING collection, but he is extremely private.

The truck is supposedly doing well and is stored in doors but he has no desire for it to surface at this time.

nice find on the -6.
very cool.
brant
URY914
QUOTE (brant @ Jun 5 2005, 06:00 PM)
Paul,

the -4 pick up is in colorado.
I don't take responsibility for finding it... Another of our club members did.

but the new owner has asked not to have his name or anything put out in public.

The truck is supposedly doing well and is stored in doors but he has no desire for it to surface at this time.

nice find on the -6.
very cool.
brant

I least we now know where they both are now.

914Club C.S.I.

This has been fun. mueba.gif

Paul
Curvie Roadlover
Great story, Paul. Thanks smilie_pokal.gif

Now if someone could just get us the story of the autocrossing 914 Limo. rolleyes.gif
GWN7
The limo is currently undergoing a compleat restoration or so I was told at the WCC05 rolleyes.gif
Brent
QUOTE (brant @ Jun 5 2005, 07:00 PM)

He who dies with the most toys wins?

I don't get it. Isn't the idea of a collection is to preserve and share the objects with peers who would enjoy them the most? Maybe just me.

How about the impact Jeff made with the Grasshopper at WCC 05. That was cool.
URY914
I agree.
Half the fun of having neat cars is showing off your neat cars.

brant
I agree too.
but to each his own.
I do know the guy ocassionally takes some of his collection to a DE or to parade.

I think he won a parade concours a while back with a 46 original mile car....

but to each his own.
brant
Brent
QUOTE (brant @ Jun 6 2005, 07:35 AM)
I think he won a parade concours a while back with a 46 original mile car....

Damn...someone has got to work on this guy. 46 mile car, that has gotta be my Lottory car.
How about sending him a 914club fruitbasket? grouphug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Brent @ Jun 6 2005, 04:24 PM)
Damn...someone has got to work on this guy. 46 mile car, that has gotta be my Lottory car.
How about sending him a 914club fruitbasket? grouphug.gif

agree.gif
at least, we need to get him to sign up here ...

we'll wear him down. fast. biggrin.gif
smash.gif Andy
brant
ooops...
didn't mean to mislead you guys.
the car with 46 original miles is a 1976 912
(at least the motor is 914-ish, right!)

brant
BMartin914
I've heard it rumored that that truck was in or around Boulder, but that it was fairly likely no one but the owner will ever see it. I don't care for that. Half the fun of owning my car (and it's no rarity) is taking it out and showing it off! biggrin.gif I KNOW Mr. O'Shea would love to see that truck! beer.gif
Joe Bob
I agree...don't see the point in "preserving" cars...take the damn thing out for a Sunday drive and show it off....
URY914
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Jun 7 2005, 06:35 AM)
I've heard it rumored that that truck was in or around Boulder, but that it was fairly likely no one but the owner will ever see it. I don't care for that. Half the fun of owning my car (and it's no rarity) is taking it out and showing it off! biggrin.gif I KNOW Mr. O'Shea would love to see that truck! beer.gif

I agree.

But you know I do own the only 914 that has a 917 engine in it. The factory only built one. I just don't want anyone looking at it.
It's mine and you can't play with it.
Sorry happy11.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.