Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Coil Over Shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FL000
I am going to pull my rear coil overs later this week to see what I messed up, but thought I would ask for ideas in the meantime. Putting my car together after being apart for a really long time, and I noticed my rear coil over shock studs are pushing through the mount into the trunk way too far - so far that I can't tighten the nut enough to secure it. I am guessing my top hat is not stopping the shaft soon enough. A pic of my shock before installing is as seen. Note I have the top hat and first bushing below the shock support, and bushing, washer, and nut above the support (in the trunk). Am I missing something? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
Amenson
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Mar 18 2018, 10:23 PM) *

I am going to pull my rear coil overs later this week to see what I messed up, but thought I would ask for ideas in the meantime. Putting my car together after being apart for a really long time, and I noticed my rear coil over shock studs are pushing through the mount into the trunk way too far - so far that I can't tighten the nut enough to secure it. I am guessing my top hat is not stopping the shaft soon enough. A pic of my shock before installing is as seen. Note I have the top hat and first bushing below the shock support, and bushing, washer, and nut above the support (in the trunk). Am I missing something? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

It looks like you are missing the washer that goes between the top hat and the lower bushing. It sits on the step in the shaft and keeps the shaft from pushing though the bushings.
FL000
[quote name='Amenson' date='Mar 18 2018, 08:32 PM' post='2590223'

It looks like you are missing the washer that goes between the top hat and the lower bushing. It sits on the step in the shaft and keeps the shaft from pushing though the bushings.
[/quote]

Ok thanks for the tip. I’ll look for that when I take it apart beerchug.gif
MarkV
These??

Click to view attachment
Krieger
QUOTE(MarkV @ Mar 18 2018, 09:42 PM) *

agree.gif

I bet your missing these. Take off the rubber bushings and take a photo of all the parts.
FL000
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 18 2018, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(MarkV @ Mar 18 2018, 09:42 PM) *

agree.gif

I bet your missing these. Take off the rubber bushings and take a photo of all the parts.

I couldn’t wait so I took the shocks off and put the dome washer in my original photos above the top hat which seemed to be a solid fit for keeping the shaft below the suspension support. Didn’t have my phone of course so no pictures. I do have the two rubber bushings you show but I do not have the metal piece that goes between the two. If it still sounds like I’m missing something let me know and I’ll take one off again and post pics. One step forward two steps back!
MarkV
Those came off my stock Boge shocks and got re-used on Bilstein replacements. Not sure how it would work without them. They go on first ... on top of the blue aluminum piece in your photo. The bottom bushing goes on next and the top bushing goes on after the shock is in the car. The big washer bottoms out on the piece you are missing when you tighten the nut down.
FL000
Well that sucks - I must have thrown those bushings away with the old shocks. blink.gif Now I clearly see them in the exploded parts diagrams. Next stop classified forum to see if f I can find a couple. Thanks for the help.
mepstein
QUOTE(FL 000 @ Mar 19 2018, 12:01 PM) *

Well that sucks - I must have thrown those bushings away with the old shocks. blink.gif Now I clearly see them in the exploded parts diagrams. Next stop classified forum to see if f I can find a couple. Thanks for the help.

Our guys always loose the old hardware because they think it can be ordered up new. Well, sometimes it can but it can also be pricey. Better to throw all the old stuff in a box for one day.
Chris914n6
You have either the wrong size top hats or the wrong diameter springs. There should be full surface contact.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 19 2018, 12:59 PM) *

You have either the wrong size top hats or the wrong diameter springs. There should be full surface contact.

agree.gif
Michael N
Those look like the Rebel Racing set up I have on my car. Mine used a 2.25 spring but it also looks like they offer hats for a 2.5 inch spring as well.

Here is a photo from their website....

http://www.rebelracingproducts.com/914products.html

Click to view attachment

Here is a photo that shows original sized springs vs the 2.25 set up. This photo was taken before I receive the proper trumpet nuts from Koni.

Click to view attachment
FL000
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Mar 19 2018, 12:59 PM) *

Good catch. That’s an old picture and if memory serves correct I ended up getting an adapter to mate the 2.5” springs with the 2.25” top hat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.