Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do LEa really go for 2-4x other 914 in same condition?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Just curious...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 19 2018, 06:41 AM) *

Just curious...

I would say that there is a graduated scale:

a car at the bottom of the rung, say a restoration project LE would probably sell for twice as much as a 2500 dollar regular 914 restoration project

A car at the top of the scale, say a low mile original paint LE, if it were 45,000, the same stock 914 would be 35,000. The cars will climb in the future of course as they represented the only "special edition" 914 ever made.
Larmo63
They are cool cars, but if you own one you are kind of stuck having to restore it back to exact bone stock.

I've never been interested in one, but if I happened to find one out of the blue, I wouldn't turn it down..
ConeDodger
I had one. It was the famous Bumblebee 6 or Submarine... it wasn’t stock. It went to Norway when I sold it.
As for returning to stock, as my Dad used to say “that dog ain’t comin’ home...” evilgrin.gif

It sold for $14K about 7 years ago.
Tdskip
Thanks for the info, and good point that your hands are somewhat tied in terms of what you can do to it if you want to maintain any value premium.
JeffBowlsby
Once an LE, always an LE, in factory form or wild. No need to put the LE cars into a box where they are only acceptable in stock form, they are all good - just like any 914. These are real LE cars...except the last two Screamsicles shown are tributes.
scallyk9
Haha! Outlaw LEs. But still Limited Editions none the less. My own numbers matching Bumblebee will stay stock while the '74 3.2 conversion is the fun to play with toy.
mepstein
The GT look screamsicle looks great.
EdwardBlume
All 914s went through a low point of interest before rising to where they are today. If the LE being an LE during this time made it garaged or otherwise better taken care of, then perhaps they are better cars. The obvious is also that they are all 2.0s pre smog, so take that perk too. Lastly, you end up in the brotherhood of rare within rare cars.
Larmo63
The Screamsicle #284 car looks very well turned out.

Classy and sassy.
SirAndy
Do LEa really go for 2-4x other 914 in same condition?

Nö ...

ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 20 2018, 12:31 AM) *

Nö ...

agree.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Lots of cars have had special, or limited edition models. A paint scheme does not make a car with more money in my opinion. It's just a 914 with available options, and some paint around the bottom. Personally, I always thought they looked kinda gaudy.
Dave_Darling
Maybe not in your opinion, but the LE cars do seem to go for more money than bog-standard 74 2-liters do. Not double or four times more, but generally somewhat more.

--DD
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 19 2018, 10:31 PM) *

Nö ...

Stuck in my mind is you trying to imitate inspector clusue from Pink Panther.

I have not clue how to put the umlaut over the O.
mgphoto
How about the European SP, how many of those were made, we've seen the dash plaque #27 the highest number I've seen.
Got to be more desirable than the 1000 LEs?
Coondog

I always thought the painted rims, bumpers and lower trim were ugly......... blink.gif
Wonder how fast they sold on the dealer lots...
johnhora
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Mar 19 2018, 07:05 PM) *

The Screamsicle #284 car looks very well turned out.

Classy and sassy.

You know I have to agree...that one has a pretty cool looking paint scheme...
Mueller
One thing to consider is that a bone stock LE is going to have a more limited audience I believe.

Not everyone wants an LE, I for one wouldn't want a Bumblebee version.

Aesthetics aside some potential buyers might be afraid to modify an LE to their tastes.
JeffBowlsby
Ahem...

KELTY360
QUOTE(Coondog @ Mar 20 2018, 02:30 PM) *

I always thought the painted rims, bumpers and lower trim were ugly......... blink.gif
Wonder how fast they sold on the dealer lots...

agree.gif
In 1981 I bought a '74 2.0 that turned out to be a bumblebee. The bumpers and rockers had been painted black and the wheels were changed to steelies. Apparently the previous owner was not too fond of the paint scheme either. At the time, I thought the appearance was curious, but not to my taste.
914werke
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 19 2018, 12:27 PM) *

agree.gif
& @Marc it grows on you! aktion035.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Mar 20 2018, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 19 2018, 12:27 PM) *

agree.gif
& @Marc it grows on you! aktion035.gif

I know, I know....what I really want is a Grasshopper. locust.gif
Mitox
Here's the same car as a grasshopper. Found it In an old posting.

Click to view attachment
Michael N
Hurley thinks they are cool.....

Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Bowlsby
Is it real idea.gif
TJB/914
Real Ones. w00t.gif
TJB/914
popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Mar 20 2018, 07:06 PM) *
Bowlsby
Is it real idea.gif

It's a real car, yes. It just didn't come that way from the factory.
shades.gif
poorsche914
Count the Can Am 914s drooley.gif

Click to view attachment

driving.gif
JRust
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 19 2018, 11:13 AM) *

Once an LE, always an LE, in factory form or wild. No need to put the LE cars into a box where they are only acceptable in stock form, they are all good - just like any 914. These are real LE cars...except the last two Screamsicles shown are tributes.

That LS6 creamsicle is one sexy beech drooley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.