Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seat belt planet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
n2j2ryan
Looking to update my early, non-retractable for the convenience of the retractable ones from Seat belt planet. Has anyone here purchased them? Are they basically plug and play?
Thanks
SKL1
Had them put new belts in my '73 with the original mechanism. Very happy with the results and they work great.
Mikey914
What did they charge for the "rebuild"?
GeorgeRud
Remember that your early car doesn’t have the recess in the firewall to mount the later style retractable seatbelts. Auto Atlanta sells (sold?) these that attach on the upper seatbelt mounts and seem to retract nicely with no permenant modifications to the car.Click to view attachment
flipb
I bought the set from Seatbeltplanet to replace the set in my '74. Very easy plug-n-play, but mine had three-point belts from the factory so it was just a swap. Can't attest to converting from lap belts.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the problem is that there is no room behind the back pad for the retractors on 70-71 cars so the retractors must be hung on the side roll bar bolsters. We have successfully used the 911 912 early seat belt planet retractibles for this application

QUOTE(n2j2ryan @ Mar 21 2018, 07:17 PM) *

Looking to update my early, non-retractable for the convenience of the retractable ones from Seat belt planet. Has anyone here purchased them? Are they basically plug and play?
Thanks
jmitro
QUOTE(flipb @ Mar 22 2018, 10:12 AM) *

I bought the set from Seatbeltplanet to replace the set in my '74. Very easy plug-n-play, but mine had three-point belts from the factory so it was just a swap. Can't attest to converting from lap belts.

+1. I installed them two weeks ago. nicely done.
Only problem was I had to enlarge the holes on the receptacle bolt hole to accomodate the shoulder bolts, but otherwise plug n play
n2j2ryan
Does it make any difference if I have also deleted the back pad and going with the perlon back pad. A bit more space.
Thanks for your help
Neil
n2j2ryan
I was told, that even though my 72 had the non-retractable belts, all 72's had the recess and holes to mount the retractable. Does anyone know if that is true. Does someone have a picture of what that recess looks like?
tygaboy
QUOTE(n2j2ryan @ Mar 22 2018, 12:31 PM) *

I was told, that even though my 72 had the non-retractable belts, all 72's had the recess and holes to mount the retractable. Does anyone know if that is true. Does someone have a picture of what that recess looks like?

Like this.
Note that on my car, part of the recess was cut out then put back in. But this is the shape. The lower hole has a threaded boss on the back side and the other hole locates a pin that locates and prevents the retractor from tipping out of position.
914Toy

My '72 is an earlier model and has retractible belts that look original.
n2j2ryan
Do these look like the right holes?
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
QUOTE(n2j2ryan @ Mar 22 2018, 01:38 PM) *

Do these look like the right holes?
Click to view attachment

Yep, those are the locations.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
ALL 72 MODELS were stamped for retractible seat belts. 72 models, however through production 12/31/71 had non retractibles and in jan 1 had retractibles.
Also 72 is the unique body shell like no other!

70 71 were virtually identical
73 74 were virtually identical
75 76 were virtually identical

Does anyone know a difference between a 73 74 body? (and we are not talking about bolt ons like the rear 74 bumper guards, or buckle up or else wiring harness on the 74 models

n2j2ryan
Thanks for all of your help guys. I will try out the retractable belts and let you know how it all works out. Appreciate all of your assistance. Great community!
SKL1
I've got the retractable ones on my '71 which mount on the B pillar like the photo above. I got them many years ago from a guy that advertised in Pano- don't think he's in business anymore. I actually liked the "manual" belts in the '71 because I was the only person who drove it so there wasn't any adjustment needed- I was just worried about their age and replaced them.
I also got red belts on the '73 that match close enough to the bahia red to look nice. I've done enough to that car to not worry about "originality."
porschetub
Did some one mention 944 belts recently? ,cheap enough to buy.
PO fitted new Repa belts in my car when he had it ,seem to remember they are dated 1999.
Seatbelt inspection is a big thing in my country and its surprising what some inspectors fail so I'am all good for my compliance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.