Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clutch tool and questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
Ok so I need to get this engine back to full short block before my new heads from Len arrive. I bought a new RMS from bus depot. I need to check the RMS first to see it needs to be replaced. I've never tackled this before so I just want to make sure I do things right.

Remove the 6 bolts
Remove cover plate
Remove clutch disk
Remove FW bolts
Remove FW
Check seal for leaks
Reverse order install

Do I need to mark FW so it goes back on exactly the same way?
What is the part number/link to tool for re-installing clutch?
Any gotchas to pay attention to?
Was this all covered in Raby's Type4 video?

Thanks all

IPB Image
dcheek
Pelican has a great tutorial in the tech section. I used it to replace my clutch.

Dave
nditiz1
QUOTE(dcheek @ Mar 22 2018, 07:05 AM) *

Pelican has a great tutorial in the tech section. I used it to replace my clutch.

Dave

I can't believe I missed that, thanks!
TheCabinetmaker
Flywheel has a dowel pin to locate it. Clutch pilot tool is same as a vw. Might want to check crankshaft end play too. If your rms is not the black SABO brand, send it back and get the sabo. Use emery cloth to clean and smooth the recess where the seal rides. Clean and smooth the trans input shaft, too.
porschetub
Would add that its best to replace every wear part while in there,I learnt the hard way thinking my input shaft seal was fine 500km's later it leaked,I just got it in time before it ruined my new clutch disk.
Dr Evil
You need a tool? I can send ya something if you don't have the alignment tool I plan to weld up some cool ones from spare shafts and gears, might as well make one now if you need it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.