Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shift lever bushings. lots of numbers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
referring to my old, paper, AA catalog. p194.

1. 2 dif housing numbers. early vs late. how do they differ?

2. the upper plastic bushing, item 6 #901 424 132 00, is common for both versions. I get that one. rolleyes.gif

3. the lower bushing. item 39 #s, 2.3mm 914 424 343 01 and 3.4mm 914 424 343 02.

is there some reason both of those will not work in the late housings? year specific for some reason?

the reason I'm asking is I want to put together a couple of SS conversion packages with the shifter bushings, spring and detent plate (if needed) renewed. all new rod bushings and dr side warm air guides as part of the package.

these bushings can make a real improvement in the shifter operation. most are prob 40+years old and are either paper thin or non-existent. a spent detent plate and wear on the contact point on the lever add to the struggle setting up the linkage and engaging R&1st cleanly.

TIA

k
UROpartsman
Hi Rhodyguy, early shifter base brackets (914 424 015 02) for tail-shift cars have an additional internal locating pivot pin inside the ball pivot housing, vs the side-shift style bracket (914 424 019 02) which does not have this pin. Also, the later side-shift bracket has an extra access window at the rear to allow access to the pinch bolt holding the front shift fork onto the tunnel shift rod. Thus these base brackets are not interchangeable, and both are NLA.

The upper spring seat / shift ball socket bushing (901 424 132 00) is indeed the same early vs late shifters, but the lower spring support seat was changed.

Shift lever guide bushing 901 424 132 00 is for the early side shift cars, and as you mentioned there were originally three versions for the side shift cars that varied in thickness to alter the spring pressure preload; all these all sub to 914 424 343 02 now according to Porsche’s latest dealer price file.

This later-style lower bushing is slightly different in shape to accommodate the revised lower all-metal shift quadrant on the bottom of the shift lever (vs the earlier ball and cup design), and thus is not interchangeable with the early version.

This information only pertains to the bushings inside the shifter itself, which is probably what you were asking about (unfortunately we do not have the old paper AA catalog to reference).

You're probably already aware that the lower ball cup bushing (914 424 110 00) also needs replacing on the early tail shift rebuilds, but is not present on the side shifter re-design.

Hope this helps!
rhodyguy
So, the side shift 343 02 is a spuperceed for the 01? Perhaps the inner diameter hole was a fix? I'm not all that concerned with the tail shift shifter piece as these Will be for the conversion minded. Thanks for your input. Replacing the tail shifter bushings wouldn't hurt those using the correct transmissions.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.