Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Car wash power spray cleaned them up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Only a couple of spots I have to do some preventive rust work to

A little concerned about founding this.

Click to view attachment

Looks like I'll be doing some Trailing Arm work soon.

Ferg
Go buy a lottery ticket, they look great!
Tom_T
QUOTE(aharder @ Mar 23 2018, 12:21 PM) *

Pleased with what I found

Click to view attachment

Hey Allen,

Nice looking 914, with nice clean longs - for almost 50 years old now!

While mud wasp nests aren't as common everywhere, the dirt up into the rocker covers is pretty common to build-up over time, & worse on the passenger or curb side here in the US because we park in the dirty gutters on that side (probably the opposite in RHD countries).

It's good preventative maintenance to pull off the rockers every few years to clean that out so it doesn't hold rust up against the longs & start the rust going. That's probably what happened at the rust spot that you pointed out in the last pic.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
aharder
Look at the nut on the trailing arm, that's what I'm concerned about
914Sixer
Your are correct about the rear control arm. OH MY!
PlaysWithCars
Um, yeah. Very concerning. Looks like the hole has been elongated too. Probably going to need a replacement trailing arm bracket. Good thing you caught that. It could have been unholy if it came apart at the wrong time. Does that wheel have a lot of negative camber? Looks like it would with that much wear in the mounting hole.
914_teener
QUOTE(aharder @ Mar 23 2018, 01:45 PM) *

Look at the nut on the trailing arm, that's what I'm concerned about

agree.gif

Since the valances are off.....I'd get on that one ASAP.
burton73
Looks good except the trailing arm. You are lucky and your car looks very nice from where I am looking. Nice color.

Bob B
smilie_pokal.gif
aharder
Doesn't appear to have a negative camber.

Click to view attachment

I'll be digging into this quickly.
Looks like 914 Rubber will be getting more on my money for this job smash.gif
Retroracer
RE: "Doesn't appear to have a negative camber." - which is even more worrying, opening the very real possibility that the inner mounting holes are similarly buggered....

I see suspension work in your future!

- Tony
Olympic 914
How thick is that stack of shims?

Could be whoever did the alignment didn't see that ovaled hole and compensated by putting more shims in there.

That outer ear shouldn't be too hard to find and 914 rubber has new shafts (I think)

Put in the Elephant Racing rubber bushings and might as well put new rear wheel bearings in while you have everything apart. You will be good for a long time then.
Mikey914
We do have the solid shafts. You won't really know until you get into it, you may be lucky and its just set up wrong. The shafts are hollow so the can rust out easily as the are not that thick. Looks like a hood weekend project for ya.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.