Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reverse light switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914zim
Fellas:
Is there a way to test the reverse light switch while it's removed from the car?
I have everything taken apart for the clutch replacement and I was wondering if I need a new switch, because it's pretty banged up.
Also, does anyone have a working used one laying around they'd sell me cheap?
I'm finding it really hard to plunk down $80 for a new one!

Thanks,
Andy...
elocke
Get a multimeter, ohm meter, beeper; anything that will tell you if you have an electrical connection. With the meter leads in the 2 contact receptacles on the switch, push a coat hanger end into the hole in the middle of the threads on the other side of the switch. This depresses a plunger that makes a connection inside the switch. If the switch is good you will get an indication of a connection, beep, needle deflection, etc. I have a switch from an early tranny that only makes contact at the very end of the plunger travel and didn't work with the pin in the tranny. I switched it with the switch from my '74 and it worked fine. To test the backup lights, unplug the 2 wires from the switch (make sure they don't touch any metal) turn the ignition on and touch the 2 wires together.
Good luck
Ed
914zim
Cool, thanks Ed!!!
jr91472
never had one of those out of the tranny before.......is there a seal associated with it? Or can you just take em out?

sorry for the mild hijack

elocke
I've just taken mine out. There's a washer. When I removed tranny fluid didn't spill out.
Red-Beard
If the tranny is full of oil, leave the pin in. It won't pour out, but it will drip/ooze a bit...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.