Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Ok, I have checked all the fuses, checked for power at the switch, going in and coming out. Headlights come up but dont light up. Checked for power at the healights and there is nothing. I have power coming out of the switch but it doesnt make it to the light itself. Is there a relay or anything else I can check? I need to have headlights so I can drive at night, otherwise, its a daytime only car. What the hell good is that?
skline
Anyone? Lots of hit but no answers. What is this Club coming to? Somebody help me please, I want o drive it at night. headbang.gif
914GT
Scott,

There's the dimmer relay, you should hear it clicking when you toggle the hi beam switch. It may have burned contacts preventing both low and high beams from working. You could bypass it temporarily to get either low or high beam filaments to work if that's the problem.
SGB
I guess you've checked fuses.. 1 & 2 for left high/low, 3 & 4 for right high/ low. Just thinking through the circuit, I think that if the high/ low relay has bad + input or is otherwise f'd,, it would kill both high and low
Type 4 Unleashed
The car has to be running, or at least the key on, for the headlights to light, they will open and close with the key off but won't light, there is a relay for this some where. lol2.gif
skline
QUOTE (V6914 @ Jun 5 2005, 09:11 PM)
The car has to be running, or at least the key on, for the headlights to light, they will open and close with the key off but won't light, there is a relay for this some where. lol2.gif

That just might be it, now if someone can tell me where this relay is, I will be set. The car was rewired for the V8 and some of the wires from the harness were not used so that could very well be the problem. What I think I need is for DD or the Kapt'n to tell me thier thoughts.
Aaron Cox
turn the key to ON... biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
REmove the fuse panel and check the relays on the back. It could be one of those. Use a meter and check for voltage in to fuse, out of fuse, into panel, out of panel, etc.
Aaron Cox
think through the circuit

Switch -> fuses -> relay -> Headlights

you will do fine. check all these....

AA

BTW - since your headlights dont work, sell me those H4's w00t.gif JK
JB 914
I have two mag flashlights and a roll of duct tape. keep them in your trunk in case you get stuck out at night happy11.gif

I'm no use unless it involves dis-assembly wink.gif
markb
I *think* the square relay on top of the fuse panel is the relay for the highbeams. Check it with the key on. It sounds like you've already checked the basics, but I'll ask anyway. You have cleaned all the contacts, right?
Joe Bob
Connect the battery.... dry.gif
meares
has the headlight burned out?
JWest
Find the square metal realy on the fuse/relay panel. Remove the red/white wire (terminal 56) and touch to the yellow wire (terminal 56a).

Turn the headlights and key on. This will bypass the headlight dimming relay. If the low beams come on, it is a bad relay.
94teener
You say you have power comming out of the (headlight) switch. Pin #56 of the switch is where the power to the headlights comes from. If you don't have power at pin #56 (a RD/WH wire) then you don't have lights. If this is the case, a good temporary fix is to simply jumper pin #56 to pin #56K, everything will work like normal. I made this temporary fix on one of my 74 cars and it lasted for three years. Then I had to change the switch.

Phil
Elliot_Cannon
You're gettin much better advice than I gave when I was there. How's it going?
Cheers, Elliot
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Elliot Cannon @ Jun 6 2005, 12:43 PM)
You're gettin much better advice than I gave when I was there. How's it going?
Cheers, Elliot

loose nut behind the steering wheel
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.