Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: type one engine question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grasshopper
working on a bradley GT for a friend, and i cant seem to get the engine to idle. I pulled the carburetor off, and the choke wasnt even connected, so i wired that up, and cranked it, and it did idle for about five minutes. Then i turned it off, and when i tried to start it again, it wouldn't idle....its really annoying. It has a Solex 34 PICT-3 carburetor on it. Are there supposed to be washers on the jets in it??? anything else that could be wrong? All info is appreciated.
brer
009 distributor right? if so then....

ditch the 009 for the SVDA they sell at aircooled.net and it will idle fine.
otherwise you need to modify the carb to make it function correctly with the 009.
I think there is an article about that on Aircooled too. maybe? I think so.
brer
had the same problem with my 73 ghia. smile.gif

I did alot of research about it, and there are many different opinions about making it work properly.

My experience with the SVDA was similar performance with perfect idle and better gas mileage.
just like the sales pitch on the website says. And no modifications to my carb.

Its a great distributor and solution IMHO.
grasshopper
thanks brer. Ill try that. I was thinking points mabey...... oh yeah, it didnt seem like all the cylinders were firing at low rpms either, but once you brought it up to around 2500-3000, it worked fine.
Mark Henry
Sounds like a big vac leak or the fuel cut off valve has no power and/or isn't working. The latter could be intermittent...

On the vac leak, is it a dual port and does the center section have a crack in the aluminum part?
If it is cracked there's a hole somewhere.
brer
vac leak would be my first thing to look for, but having gone down that road i jumped straight to step 2.
sorry. huh.gif

the 009 is notorious for not working properly with the 34pic3.
That carb is designed to work with a vacuum advance distributor.
When you turn those screws all screwy trying to get it to idle it will run like total crap.

back off the warm up adj. screw (the one on the arm) until there is a small gap when in the warmed up position.

that screw shouldn't be used for adj. the idle.
then adj. the volume and mixture.

the SVDA has a similar advance to the 009, but uses a single vacuum diafram with a partial mechanical advance to achieve this.

I had to use a light to set the total advance though, as it didn't time properly to the marks on the pulley.

happy monday clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.