Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine swap progress
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
day1: Proceed to look all over the Louisville area for 12-point bit set, and after numerous trips to sears, pep boys and autozone, the CV tool could not be found. A visit to the VW guy tomorrow will result in a successful borrowing of such tool. My exhaust leak was caused by a cheap over-sized bolt that wasn't fitting "quite right", therefore causing my exhaust leak.

Throttle Return Mechanism missing (?) on the 1.7 engine......or did I not see something???

FI harness on 1.7 looks surprisingly good.....still goes untested. Pondering a carb conversion in the near future to make for a cleaner-looking engine bay

1.7 Turns over and seems to have compression.....

Status: Heating system(sans Exchanger) taken off the engine......intake runners taken off as well......2 jacks ready to roll for the drop tomorrow......working on taking off HE's and muffler, since my buddy thinks that dropping the engine with the HE on will damage the HE.......whatever. Battery disconnected....Ready to roll

Thank you guys (including Rick Ollah) for helping me out when I needed it!!! clap.gif

Off to better days of driving

and if you have a dual carb setup laying around for a good price, let me know.....

Good Night America...

Britt type.gif
bd1308
engine dropped and sitting there, waiting...yesterday i cleaned off (and i mean cleaned) the HE's....they look real shiney. I still have yet to do a alternator change and swap the clutches........

Question: Does anybody have the copper gasket things for the heads for the HE's? I found one.......
tat2dphreak
all the usual places have the head gaskets... cheap too... if I'd known you needed them 2 days ago, I'd have included them in my pelican order and just shipped them on...

don't do like I did, get a dial indicator(on sale at harbor freight this week, btw) and to the crank free-play... your VW shop should have the shims... that is, IF you are taking the flywheel off...
xsboost90
im borrowing a dial indicator right now, i can bring it down tomorrow and check out endplay if you need. Ill bring My mic down also.
BMartin914
Good job! Way to go! We knew you could do it! aktion035.gif

As for a carb conversion...if your F.I. works, keep it. The engine was designed for it and unless you change your cam, your never going to get the performance from carbs you will get from the f.i. (just my opinion). Especially if you're doing it to 'clean up the engine bay.'
xsboost90
let me know if your going to be working on that today, ill be in louisville right up the street...supposedly. Ill bring the dial indicator and some cheese heads and mic's just in case. 513-256-8083
bd1308
yep....i'll be working. You know how to do the "Capt'n Crusty" valve adjustment procedure, don't you?

I have to:
*Adjust Valves
*Drain Oil
*Put crossmember on
*Find all 4 of these copper shims for the exhaust
*Alternator Change
*Clutch
bd1308
just drop by the front of the subdivision and look to your left....you'll see me doing something....like screaming cause i dropped the tranny on my hand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.