Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 470.29.05709 - Cutler/South Pointe Porsche GT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
gms
In September 2014 I was watching a video of my friend’s race car on youtube and off to the side was this video (Two Abandoned Cars 1970-1973 Porsche 914 1.7) I usually check them out to see if it is a 914/6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRMaKvWTTvQ

Halfway thru the video he approaches the 2nd car and right away I notice the marker lights on the roof. In case you didn’t know they were used at night for the crew to identifying the car and also to signal the pits from the car before radios were affordable.

The best part (at 5:20) Charles says:
"Took this Porsch and built it for racing, totally destroy the value of the car when you do this.."
gms
So I start looking thru my data and find a car that raced at the 24hrs of Daytona in 1973 The car in the video is yellow inside and the fender flares are correct, also Lee Cutler (the driver) is from Sarasota FL.

I do a google search and find a later (1975) picture of the car and see it was painted black now everything matches. This was also one of the cars missing from my research for the IMSA 914 book.

5/19/1974 - 4 hrs Ontario
Click to view attachment

I have to find this car!! Using clues offered in this video I find the building (you can see the address is 1345 in the video). Here is the fence from google street view.
Click to view attachment

I called Steve Gaglione and he was kind enough to drive down from Tampa.
He shows up and the car is right were I sent him on the map, the shop owner is there and by 1pm I make a deal with the car’s owner!
gms
more pix
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
gms
The car has been in storage in Florida until last week when I picked it up and brought it home.
Click to view attachment
mmichalik
That's a GREAT story!

Congratulations on the find and the purchase.
ajserrano
Great find Glenn, it was simply meant to be. All the planets aligned for you in perfect order, not to mention your determination and wit. Congrats!
gms
If it didn't happen to me I wouldn't believe the story!
gms
Race History
Click to view attachment
gms
Double Adjustable Konis
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
stownsen914
Nicely done, Glenn!
914Sixer
Another -6 saved!!!!
mb911
I think Glenn told me a -6 conversion but could be wrong
rgalla9146
Doesn't appear to have an OE 6 front engine mount.
Oil tank, Koni double adjustables, rear hubs, etc. etc. etc.....well done Glenn !
Any rust ? biggrin.gif
gms
It is a 914/4 converted to a six and yes it will be a challenging restoration but certainly worth saving
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
mb911
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 26 2018, 12:01 PM) *

It is a 914/4 converted to a six and yes it will be a challenging restoration but certainly worth saving

And not turn into a kit car biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 26 2018, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(gms @ Mar 26 2018, 12:01 PM) *

And not turn into a kit car biggrin.gif

I was just going to say it would make a great 917 based kit car or maybe a fiat X19 replica.
mb911
Its is a really cool story.. Can't wait to see it in person.
mepstein
Yes, glad you got it Glen!
Larmo63
I'd make it into a 904 replica. stirthepot.gif
pete000
WOW, I worked at South Point Motorcars in Sarasota when I was in JR College. It was around 1982, I don't remember ever seeing this 914 though. It must have been a partial sponsorship to get parts for cost. Very cool Save ! South Point was a small Porsche + Audi/Mazda dealer back then. I used to prep the cars when they came in off the truck. Fun times back then. I used to make sure there was always a Porsche out back in the detail shed at lunch time so I could sneak out and drive it around the neighborhood ! They are still in business but moved up the road and on the other side of the street, much bigger now.
gms
QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 26 2018, 05:29 PM) *

WOW, I worked at South Point Motorcars in Sarasota when I was in JR College. It was around 1982, I don't remember ever seeing this 914 though. It must have been a partial sponsorship to get parts for cost. Very cool Save ! South Point was a small Porsche + Audi/Mazda dealer back then. I used to prep the cars when they came in off the truck. Fun times back then. I used to make sure there was always a Porsche out back in the detail shed at lunch time so I could sneak out and drive it around the neighborhood ! They are still in business but moved up the road and on the other side of the street, much bigger now.

That is interesting! This car was raced from 1972 to 1975. Did the Cutler family still own the dealership when you worked there?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 26 2018, 02:32 PM) *

I just noticed the lower collar on the rear Koni.
I don't remember ever seeing that before.
Is that the standard height adjustment devise on the double adjustable ones ?

Dion
That’s an awesome find Glenn. Nice detective work congrats.
Look forward to hearing more.
ndfrigi
The chart showed the entry for race was 73 and 74 for this 55 car number. But why is it the front bumper was from 75/76 rubber? Maybe it was replaced on a later year.
Montreal914
Great story! popcorn[1].gif
Congratulation on the purchase.
dug
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 26 2018, 10:46 AM) *

The best part (at 5:20) Charles says:
"Took this Porsch and built it for racing, totally destroy the value of the car when you do this.."

Effing hilarious!
Blue6
Will be watching. cheer.gif
EdwardBlume
Looks like the car ended up in the right hands.

Congratulations! aktion035.gif
pete000
QUOTE(pete000 @ Mar 26 2018, 03:29 PM) *

When I worked there It was a father who owned it and his son was head sales guy. I imagine it was them who still owned it in the 80s.
Kaeferfreund
Glenn,
great story - or just the beginning of it welder.gif

I think this racer is now in best possible hands and I hope you could bring it back to exactly the condition of the 73/74 race series.

Thanks for sharing the link

BR smilie_flagge6.gif
jmitro
cool story!
Cairo94507
Terrific work to find and purchase this car Glenn. I look forward to seeing it come back to life. beerchug.gif
JmuRiz
Sometimes the youtube algorithms lead you down a good rabbit hole of content. This is the ultimate rabbit hole.

Best of luck, very cool car and story!
siverson
Awesome story and nice find!

-Steve
11tenths
Terrific investigative work.

The 'Thrill of the Hunt'; we all do it, looking down driveways and alleyways wherever we go, hoping to see a familiar profile under a cover...

Even if you get to corner your quarry, hesitation and second guessing often lead to it slipping through your fingers.

Sir- I salute you! pray.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Cheers- Harry beerchug.gif
Johny Blackstain
Nice! aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif shades.gif
gms
Thanks for the positive feedback! This car found me and wants to be on the track again so I will make it happen.
gms
1974 or 1975
Click to view attachment
ajserrano
Check it out, 11" Fuchs at the rear...
JmuRiz
agree.gif
A set of those RSR wheels are worth more than a lot of our cars!
gms
all tucked away in the 4? car garage
evilgrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
jtprettyman
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 27 2018, 04:16 PM) *

agree.gif This! OMG, this is the most bad-ass look I’ve seen on a 914. Just like this please!
rgalla9146
QUOTE(gms @ Mar 27 2018, 07:37 PM) *

all tucked away in the 4? car garage
evilgrin.gif
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

OK. I see three cars in that garage.
1. Signal orange
2. Black
3. Red
4. ?
Glenn what displacement did the black Fla. car run ?

DOH !!!! now I see # 4 .....the grey floor pan against the back wall.
rgalla9146
That set of RSR wheels with the classic Goodyears is so beautiful.
stownsen914
From that pic, the car appears to have been a nice, clean build!

Scott
lalee914
I thought MY GARAGE was a mess but this one blows me into the weeds.... biggrin.gif
pete000
Wow, restore it back to that condition of that pic and it will be epic !

Love those huge RSR Fuchs !
Front yard mechanic
Nice looking cars and garage it's even got the kitchen sink chowtime.gif
gms
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Mar 29 2018, 08:50 PM) *

it's even got the kitchen sink chowtime.gif

You noticed biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.