Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alameda or Sac SCCA AX on June 11?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
grantsfo
Looks like the SCCA Shriners AX conflicts with the Alameda AX. Where are most of the 914's going?
SirAndy
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jun 5 2005, 09:37 PM)
Looks like the SCCA Shriners AX conflicts with the Alemeda AX. Where are most of the 914's going?

Alameda ...

driving.gif Andy
nebreitling
alameda.
Lyressa Roberts
Well, I can't AX as my fenders still need to be shaved, but if I'm not knee deep in my final exam, I'll be at Alameda.
grantsfo
Then I'm going to the AX where the 3 wheel avatar guys are going!
nebreitling
you're a lifter too, grant -- even if you don't have the avatar to prove it! (btw, have you thought about moving to heavier springs?)

will you be debuting your new wheel/tire combo?
Trekkor
I *may* appear...

KT
ChrisReale
I need to arrange with SirAndy so I can get my tiars outta Brads shop so'z I can dust off the cobwebs....Alameda for me smilie_pokal.gif
grantsfo
Heavier springs and backed off the front bar, slicks, fiberglass should all be ready. I'll be under powered, but be glued to the ground. My avatar is from when the car was 100% stock with no front swaybar.

Trekkor you definitely should show up. We will have a good group of faster 914's. I want to see how much faster slicks make my times compared to you FM guys.
9146R
Sure like the drive better to Alameda...vs Sacto. How many runs do you get assuming the "normal" turnout ? Do they usually do the fun runs in pm at this site ? Surface vs Marina ? idea.gif
Trekkor
There will be between 100-120 drivers.
3 run groups.

Usually 3 am and 3 pm runs.
Fun runs are iffy.
The surface is pretty good. ( Marina is the best )
A little sandy in places with some transitions between asphalt and concrete.
If the pelicans or canadian geese have been around...

They try to sweep the course. wink.gif

Fast courses here. Very long space for the track.
Watch out for the turnaround at the end, as it is *always* gritty.

Most times are :55- 1:20 depending on the layout.
Almost always places for third gear in a SIX.

KT
nebreitling
trekkor is prejudiced against alameda for some reason. it's true that the surface is not 'quite' as good as marina -- but it's pretty damn nice regardless. plus, it heats up more than marina. HUGE site means deep courses. i've been in 4th gear twice at alameda. a blast, and there is always tough competition. marina is fun, but alameda is an 'event'.

trek: no ground school on saturday?
Trekkor
Don't get me wrong. I've been to Alameda for 6 seperate a/x's.

Always a good time driving.

I'm just a little discouraged by the large size of the groups.

I'm sure you'll see me there again real soon.

What get's me, is you have to walk 1/2 mile out to the far end course worker station. After the run group is finished drivers are not quick to relieve us out in the back forty.

We've been out there for twenty minutes into the next run group before they finally just call us in and leave one or two workers to care for the whole back of the course.

Kinda insane... wacko.gif

I've learned a lot about driving ( and patience ) at Alameda. mueba.gif

KT
Trekkor
trek: no ground school on saturday?

I'm going to put that on hold for a while.
Driving is really fun, but it's taking over my life. unsure.gif

I have other obligations on Saturday morning, so if I make it to Alameda it may be just to watch/photo/video.

Or... I may sign up for late registration,running the pm only and any fun runs.

We'll see... confused24.gif

KT
anthony
At the last two alameda events I went two there were 3 run groups with 4 runs each.

Fun runs didn't happen either time because too many people packed up and left early.

I'll be out of town so I can't make it.
J P Stein
I'm doing the SCCA thingy at Mather. I'm guessing at 4 runs only....kinda focuses your attention. biggrin.gif
Steve_7x
Mather for me... After all it's only 25 minutes away vs 2.5 hours (that's hauling a trailer).

SCCA runs a differnt kind of run group system... you either work/run in the morning or the afternoon. I will have had my 4 runs and be home by 1:00pm-ish.

Mather is an awesome area for an autocross and for those that have only seen Porsche's run - will get a real treat watching thje variety of cars that run an SCCA event. I expect a huge turn-out since this is the 1st autocross there since the end of 2001. Mather was one of the premier sites in Northern California.

I know JP will be there... I hope some more of the 914 contingency is there and that more Porsche's show up. Perhaps we can get access to Mather in 2006 which would be very awesome!

Steve
J P Stein
Yeah, SCCA don't scare me none. They put their pants on one leg at a time.......well, most of em'. blink.gif
I'm towing 10-11 hours just to get close. My "buddies" on the 914club can't do 2 hours, apparently......wussies. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jun 6 2005, 03:20 PM)
Yeah, SCCA don't scare me none. They put their pants on one leg at a time.......well, most of em'. blink.gif
I'm towing 10-11 hours just to get close. My "buddies" on the 914club can't do 2 hours, apparently......wussies. biggrin.gif

SCCA is the only format I know. driving.gif Nothin like whippin a Cobra Mustang with 400 Hp. in my little "Red neck racer" or the guy with the Lancer EVO who now has 20 excuses this morning why his car wasn't as fast as that damn yellow car lol2.gif

and the STS guy have hot girlfriends. who like to ride in fast yellow Porsches. mueba.gif
grantsfo

Lets see, ....driving a total of 6 hours round trip in mid June to the Central Valley of California in a nonairconditioned car or driving 3 hours round trip to Alameda on the cool SF Bay. My hedonistic brain says, ....Alameda. Less wussie factor and more pleasure centered for me. Guess I could travel at night but that makes a long day or means staying there. Again, why are you driving 22 hours (11 hours both ways) for 4 minutes of run time? Is the Shiners event a SCCA nationals qualifying event? Or are you just doing this 4 minutes of running for "fun"?

It will be a good data point to see how much you beat Steve by to get a gauge of how competitive things are in Portland SCCA right now. Sounds like you have some real fast competition there and are always a second or two off TTOD. I wish this event or Alameda had been on Sunday as I would have tried to make it. Good Luck!

J P Stein
QUOTE (grantsfo @ Jun 6 2005, 05:25 PM)

It will be a good data point to see how much you beat Steve by to get a gauge of how competitive things are in Portland SCCA right now. Sounds like you have some real fast competition there and are always a second or two off TTOD.

I'm going to Mather cause Steve is gonna be there biggrin.gif ......may as well take on the best you got.

As for beating him, I doubt it. He knows his car & I don't know mine and we're gonna be at his place. I'll be happy to get within a couple seconds of him. Other than that, you're right, it's all about the data point. It's as close as we'll get to a neutral site......as it would be to youz guys.

BTW, many of the big dogs haven't shown up at the same AX as I. My rating against them is still up in the air.

Not to mention my son lives within an hour of the joint.... confused24.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jun 6 2005, 03:30 PM)

SCCA is the only format I know. driving.gif Nothin like whippin a Cobra Mustang with 400 Hp. in my little "Red neck racer" or the guy with the Lancer EVO who now has 20 excuses this morning why his car wasn't as fast as that damn yellow car lol2.gif

and the STS guy have hot girlfriends. who like to ride in fast yellow Porsches. mueba.gif

Yeah its a tough here when you show up and there are 10 fast 914's, several race prepared 911's, a couple 400 hp 928's, fast 944 Turbo's all with r compound tires or better waiting to show you "who's your daddy" or in some cases "who's your Mama". biggrin.gif Oh and of course there's always a couple SCCA drivers in things like super fast RX7 race cars or supercharged Miatas at our events, but they dont usualy set TTOD.

We had a local class winning SCCA guy show up in a WRX STi last year and he placed in 72nd overall at our local Golden Gate PCA event. I even beat him by over a second in my wimpy 1.8 and thats when I had street tires and stock exhaust. Thats why I take some of the SCCA chest puffing with a grain of salt. I do realize there are some very fast modified cars that run SCCA, but production classes are inconsistent in my opinion.
J P Stein
Well you'll never know if you stick with your parocial group, will ya? Sounds like you outta be cleaning up at Topeka in SM 2 Or CSP.....I wonder why that don't happen.

Steve would be in D Mod, near as I can figure. Not the top of the SCCA food chain, but close enuff. His time at the Mather AX will be another data point for all of us. We sometimes have D MOD cars take TTOD localy....but not by much.

You have a D mod car taking TTOD by 2-4 seconds clear of the field. Your 914s may be fairly quick, but the margin back from the 2 fast 914s is greater yet.

Enuff of this internet BS. We can settle this Saturday unless
you have a problem with getting smoked. It appears as if gonna be a HUGE course.
ConeDodger
I will be at Mather... Not sure at this point if I will drive the 240Z or the Porsche. Probably the Porsche since Steve is looking for a Porsche showing. See you there Steve...

Rob
grantsfo
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jun 6 2005, 07:23 PM)
Well you'll never know if you stick with your parocial group, will ya? Sounds like you outta be cleaning up at Topeka in SM 2 Or CSP.....I wonder why that don't happen.

Steve would be in D Mod, near as I can figure. Not the top of the SCCA food chain, but close enuff. His time at the Mather AX will be another data point for all of us. We sometimes have D MOD cars take TTOD localy....but not by much.

You have a D mod car taking TTOD by 2-4 seconds clear of the field. Your 914s may be fairly quick, but the margin back from  the 2 fast 914s is greater yet.

Enuff of this internet BS. We can settle this Saturday unless
you have a problem with getting smoked. It appears as if gonna be a HUGE course.

My goals in life just dont include going to Topeka biggrin.gif I dont think I could take AX seriously enough to make a commitment to the sport to go "national". I do AX to have fun and I'm sure you could "smoke" me any day. Thats ok. I just love the challenge of chasing faster cars times. PCA in this area gives me lots of access and the enviroment is laid back and fun

Some SCCA people often take themselves and AX too seriously. I am a two year member of SCCA and have a STS car but never have found the events as fun as PCA events in this area. I might hit SCCA when they go to Marina this year whenever that is.

I am looking forward to your and Steve's results! Have a great time! beerchug.gif
Steve_7x
I am going to Mather for a few reasons...

1- It's close... talk about wussing... it will take me less then 30 minutes - nuff said
2- I loved autocrossing at Mather... it's a large site with 2 different surfaces. I have autocrossed there for many years with my Bi class 914... and only twice with my blue car (when I first got it and it was white). I always had a good time with the local PCA crew and I am hoping we will get access once again!
3- Watching 600hp autocross cars with tires a lot wider then j-lo's backside dance between the cones. Seriously - we do not see many folks that can do that at PCA events and this will be a treat.

As for TTOD - since this is the first time at Mather in 4 years I am sure lots of NorCal's best will be there. Seriously - I just hope that I can be in the top 10... I will report on how things went ;-)

Steve
Steve_7x
Rob,

Glad that you can make it and that you will be adding to the Porsche attendance at the event. I really hope that we get Mather as a site in the near future. I really think it is on par with Alameda and when we ran events with 40-50 drivers we had 8 runs and cleaned up by 3:00pm... those were the days! smilie_pokal.gif

Steve
kermit
Alameda!

I plan on showing up. Haven't autocrossed in a while, I hope I still remember how...
J P Stein
OK, it looks like we have enuff 914s to pool our excuses laugh.gif

One of my favorites: My dog ate my track map.

BTW: For those who doubt the speed of SCCA competitors
Look at this National Tour at Qualcom last March.
Look at 8th place (or 3rd for a NW guy) in ASP, then scroll thru the times.

To read: Time on the far left is total time.....best runs of 2 days
Individual runs listed for each competitor for each day listed one above the other.....enjoy!

The link http://www.scca.com/Event/Event.asp

You'll need Adobe. Click the 3/12/05 event, keep hitting results.
Joe Ricard
agree.gif I agree with JP. I have not lost to another Porsche yet. If it ever does get tight I'll let my buddy drive it and stomp a mud hole in thier ass.

Them cars sure were purdy just not driven as meant to be. I'll hang with the ESP guys thanks. aktion035.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jun 7 2005, 07:52 PM)
OK, it looks like we have enuff 914s to pool our excuses laugh.gif

One of my favorites: My dog ate my track map.

JP,

Aren't you leading the 914Cup? Have you submitted your times to Nathan?

We haven't had an update in awhile. Not that there's anything wrong with that. biggrin.gif

J P Stein
I've only submitted 1 SCCA result....not much of a lead.
I've got another one, PCA.....shouldn't hurt any...only 36 drivers IIRC.
ConeDodger
Steve,

I am trying to get a writer from the Bee to come out and co-drive my Boxster. Maybe he will write a favorable story about autocrossing in Sacramento. His grandson is one of my friends. The 240Z is tempting though. It just came out of the body shop and it is beautiful. I don't have the bumpers or windiow trim on it and the interior is torn up. I will probably stick to the Boxster though.

Do you know if Mike A got his new motor done? I gave him a good 2 liter case and last I heard he was good to go with that.

Rob
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jun 7 2005, 09:50 PM)
I've only submitted 1 SCCA result....not much of a lead.
I've got another one, PCA.....shouldn't hurt any...only 36 drivers IIRC.

JP,

You mean after tying the PCA to your AX Whippin'Post you're gonna climb up their food chain to the top of the 914Cup heap? biggrin.gif

That will learn'em. rolleyes.gif

My PCA group only employs two classes. Cars on street tires and cars on other kinds of tires. biggrin.gif I might need to go out there and see if they can do me any good. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (joseph222 @ Jun 7 2005, 08:40 PM)

My PCA group only employs two classes. Cars on street tires and cars on other kinds of tires. biggrin.gif I might need to go out there and see if they can do me any good. biggrin.gif

By all means, go. Any butt time is gud and they'll make you look like an AX hero. biggrin.gif
Steve_7x
Rob...

That sounds awesome... If I read SCCA rules correctly any passenger allowed as long as they have signed the waiver. Perhaps we can give him a ride as part of his article. I am game...

I haven't heard what Mike A is doing... I know he really wanted to run at Mather again... maybe he will bring one of his other cars confused24.gif

Steve
Trekkor
My schedule has changed, so I'll be at Alameda bright and early. mueba.gif

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jun 9 2005, 09:16 PM)
My schedule has changed, so I'll be at Alameda bright and early. mueba.gif

KT

Cool! My Hoosiers wont be ready, but I'll be lighter.

Trekkor
We'll have some fun.

I'll distract Nathan, you do the rest. lol2.gif

Seriously, Grant, I think I'll bring my RS03 Hoosier's and see how that works.

I'm running my Yok's in the morning.
You want to run my Hoosier's in the a.m.?

I'll run them in the p.m.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jun 9 2005, 09:58 PM)
We'll have some fun.

I'll distract Nathan, you do the rest. lol2.gif

Seriously, Grant, I think I'll bring my RS03 Hoosier's and see how that works.

I'm running my Yok's in the morning.
You want to run my Hoosier's in the a.m.?

I'll run them in the p.m.

KT

Whats the burn in fee? I'd be happy to try them out if they fit!
Trekkor
Whats the burn in fee? I'd be happy to try them out if they fit!

Just run 'em hard.

"They'll fit"... smash.gif

205/50/15 on Westerns with 4" backspace.

KT
ConeDodger
Steve,

I saw Mike A last night at the SVR dinner. His engine is still in parts but machine work is done. He is going to pick it up today. I offered to let him co-drive the Boxster but he plans on putting his engine together on Saturday. He may be out for the Concours on Sunday though. I assume Joy is coming?
The writer thing is still up in the air. Steve Gibson the writer I spoke of has other commitments but he is seeing if another writer wants the assignment. I think it fairly important the ride be in a Porsche and that SVR is prominent. An article like this could open up Sac sites again.
Are you running in the morning or afternoon? I would guess I am AStock in the Boxster so I am afternoon.

Rob
Steve_7x
Rob,

Mike is going to have to be flying to get his engine assembled etc... I hope he can make it on Saturday. Very nice offer of you to let him drive your car.

I believe EJ and Susan will be their and I imagine maybe a few other SVr folks (I hope).

Joy and I will be there in the am. I am not running for SCCA points and the Mod and Prep cars are in the am session anyway if I recall. I like the idea of being done by noon and having the afternoon back to relax etc...

If you make it in the am... we'll get a chance to chat... if in the afternoon we'll wave as we driving.gif past each other ;-)

One way or the other best of luck!

Steve
Trekkor
I'm all trailered up and ready to go...

It will be great weather.
Time to push the SIX.

KT
SirAndy
did some last minute suspension setup today. probably won't help much, just found out today that the 180lbs are the heaviest springs made in stock dia. ...

i guess it's time to pony up the scrilla for some konis ...

i'll be running "X" tomorrow (was too lazy to put the carpet or seat in the car)
driving.gif Andy
Trekkor
running "X" tomorrow

Steve's in Sac, but Andrew Blyholder may be there. ( 100x )

I'd run in "FUN" lol2.gif

Looking foward to seeing you run. Great car...

KT
nebreitling
i'm out mad.gif

been fucking with the car the past two days in between a hecktic end-of-the-year teaching schedule, trying to get it ready, ran into some snags tonight.... currently have no brakes.

can't work through the night, i'm finished. gonna go have some margaritas with the little lady drunk.gif , wake up tomorrow and tackle it again...

sad.gif have fun without me, gents
J P Stein
You can get 200s from Renegade but those prolly aren't large enuff either.
Trekkor
i'm out

C'mon...Bring it out and we'll fix it on the spot so you can run the P.M.'s

What do you need?

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 10 2005, 06:51 PM)
did some last minute suspension setup today. probably won't help much, just found out today that the 180lbs are the heaviest springs made in stock dia. ...

i guess it's time to pony up the scrilla for some konis ...

i'll be running "X" tomorrow (was too lazy to put the carpet or seat in the car)
driving.gif  Andy

I'll run against you in X I dont have carpets either. No back pad as well. Wow! I can recline my seat now! My car is looking awfully 'ghetto" with spray can black hoods that are poorly fitted until I get spacers etc. If its a slow course I might have a shot at your times if its a fast course well I'll give it my best shot. Guess I'll take Tekkor up on that Hoosier offer now!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.