Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coil location: on engine tin or fan shroud?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
carl k
I'm wondering if there's a rule of thumb for whether the coil is attached to the fan shroud or the cooling tin on the four cylinder engines? My specific case is a 1974 2.0L, but I'm curious about all the engine types.

thanks!
Carl
914Next
QUOTE(carl k @ Mar 29 2018, 09:46 AM) *

I'm wondering if there's a rule of thumb for whether the coil is attached to the fan shroud or the cooling tin on the four cylinder engines? My specific case is a 1974 2.0L, but I'm curious about all the engine types.

thanks!
Carl

Here is the specific location for my '73 2.0. It is the original coil in the original location. I believe that yours would be the same

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
malcolm2
my guess is that the fan location was for VW buses. But in the 914, it might not matter too much. That screw under the coil mounted on the fan housing might be tuff to get too.

IIRC my PO mounted on the fan. That is the bracket I had, so I did too.

Click to view attachment
mobymutt
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Mar 29 2018, 11:07 AM) *

my guess is that the fan location was for VW buses. But in the 914, it might not matter too much. That screw under the coil mounted on the fan housing might be tuff to get too.

IIRC my PO mounted on the fan. That is the bracket I had, so I did too.

Click to view attachment

Mine's on the fan housing like this, I hate it. It's a pain to access, and some of the wires barely reach.
carl k
Click to view attachment

I have an EC code engine from a '74 1.8L that has the coil on the fan shroud and no tapped holes in the cooling tin for a coil bracket (although the flats are there). My '74 2.0L has the coil on the cooling tin.
Tom_T
Carl -

I'm not sure if the 1.8 was originally mounted any differently - so another original 1.8 owner would be able to give you better info. on yours.

But mine on a 73 2L is on the tin like 914/Next - just much much dirtier! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

It's been there since I bought my 73 2L from the OO in 1975, & my mechanic was factory trained on 914s & worked on them since 1969, so he wouldn't have moved it.

Seek out other 74-75 1.8 owners for the answer/confirmation.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914work
My .02, Mount it at the front of the shroud if you can.
Ive seen a few too many top tins that have the mount torn free from vibration when the coil is mounted there.
bbrock
My 73 2.0 also had it mounted on the engine tin, and yes, it is torn and needs to be repaired. I have the car completely apart so I'm going to reinforce it from the backside and remount in the stock location. The do like to crack there.
PancakePorsche
FWIW, my 1976 had the coil on the front fan shroud from the factory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.