Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On the road again!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
It's official "Dew4" (pronounced due-fer), my 73 2.0L is back on the road after being laid up for just 2 days short of 17 months. My wife and I took it out for a test drive tonight to check the calibration on the electronic speedo and it was unbelievably sweet to drive it again! cool.gif

The project included rebuilding the 2.0L Type IV with Euro Flat-Top pistons, moving the fuel pump to the front, and repairing a clutch tube that had all 3 welds broken. The engine rebuild was more complicated than I had anticipated because I had to learn about measuring head volume to calculate deck height so I could get 8.1:1 compression. Then I had to learn about barrel shims, rocker shims and chromoly push rods.

I could not have done this without the assistance of folks here at 914World.com. One of these days I'm gonna make up a list of all the folks that were involved in advice and parts so I can post it back here. Until then, I just want to say a very big Thank You! biggrin.gif pray.gif

P.S. - Dew4 got it's name because the classic plates are DEW4 and I figured that it was a sign that I was finally due for a 914 that was this nice!
redshift
Hello...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif of you smiling...

rolleyes.gif

M
AZ914
Congrats Ernie!!! Bring on 'dem pics!
ThinAir
The camera doesn't do a good job of capturing just how big the smile is!
ThinAir
My pride & joy! After its first commute to work.
ThinAir
Again...
Allan
smilie_pokal.gif Nice car. Glad you got it sorted out............
redshift
Always loved your car... nice smile dood, congrats!

M
ThinAir
WooooHoooo! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I took Dew4 out for a little spin after work today on the road to the Arizona Snow Bowl ski resort. In 7 miles of twisties you get to climb about 3,000 feet. The ski lift was closed for the day so there was no one else going up hill at 5:00 p.m.

What a rush! driving.gif 15 mph turns at 35 mph, downshifting and accelerating, driving.gif This is what having a 914 is all about and I've had far too few chances to enjoy it.

The car performed absolutely flawlessly. Temps are way under anything I ever saw with the old engine and it is as smooth as can be.

I've got to find where my small exhaust leak is coming from and adjust the idle, but I could drive it the way it is for the Route 66 Classic if I needed to. This is just too much fun!! w00t.gif
JoeSharp
Kool. See you Saturday.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
ThinAir
Well the exhaust leak turned out to be two small holes torn in the s/s pipe by an ear that tore away slightly on #4. Got it fixed to some degree with some high-temp RTV. Even if it opens up again it will not be that bad.

The idle turned out to be a little trickier. I've got chromoly push rods and I forgot that they are supposed to be adjusted to zero lash so I set them at .006/.008 as usual. It turns out that valves which are too loose causes low vacuum pressure, hence running rich and very low idle. I also had an iffy connection on my AAR. Put a new connector on the AAR wire, adjusted the valves properly, and voila! it runs great. Adjusted the fuel pressure, took it for a test drive to warm it up and then adjusted the idle. Idle adjustment now worked just as expected.

So... now I'm really back on the road and READY for the Route 66 Classic on Saturday. WooooHoooooo! driving.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (ThinAir914 @ Jun 6 2005, 06:31 PM)
WooooHoooo! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I took Dew4 out for a little spin after work today on the road to the Arizona Snow Bowl ski resort. In 7 miles of twisties you get to climb about 3,000 feet. The ski lift was closed for the day so there was no one else going up hill at 5:00 p.m.

That road is awesome. Been on it many time but never in my 914. I gotta get up there and do that.

Congrats. The car looks great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.