Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulled my first gear stack!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
I can't believe I am doing this sort of thing. Goes to show you how great this site and all the people here really are.

Now I get to do another.....basically I am combining the parts from (2) tranny's to make (1) really good one.

Big thanks to Redbeard and Bondo pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif Your threads/articles/pics have been invaluable. Couldn't have even begun to attempt this type of job without them.

Also can't forget Clay and James Adams for parts and phone support smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif You guys rock aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

But I am not done yet, so standby for more questions laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

thanks again
URY914
JR,
I just picked up a tail shifter off a '72.
Is this worth keeping?
Is it worth converting to a side shifter?

I really don't know the value of it and I don't really need it or if there is a market to sell it.

What are your thoughts and why did you desided to convert to a side shifter instead of picking up a used side shifter?

Paul
lapuwali
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 6 2005, 05:05 AM)
JR,
I just picked up a tail shifter off a '72.
Is this worth keeping?
Is it worth converting to a side shifter?

I really don't know the value of it and I don't really need it or if there is a market to sell it.

What are your thoughts and why did you desided to convert to a side shifter instead of picking up a used side shifter?

Paul

Keep it. All the internals are the same from tail to side, so you have a complete set of spare gearbox parts right there for the picking if you need them.
xsboost90
ran into an old buddy of mine over the weekend, sayd he has a hood, deck and a spare trans w/ the bellhousing cut off he'll give me.. smilie_pokal.gif May be time to replace some syncros.
Red-Beard
Defnitely worth converting. The 914/6 linkage is bad. The 914/4 linkage is worse. I had the opportunity to drive a well sorted out 914/4 sideshift after doing great work on my 914/6 tailshift. No comparison. It is not just the external shorter rod, but the internal system as well. Much improved.

On my 914/6, I wanted to keep the original gearing, so I sideshift converted the box. For a 4 cylinder car, all you need is the linkage, engine mount, sideshift box, gear selector and the special firewall bushing.
jr91472
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 6 2005, 05:05 AM)
why did you desided to convert to a side shifter instead of picking up a used side shifter?

Paul

Actually I swapped to a side shifter, no conversion. That was last summer.

As it would turn out, the ring gear in my new side shifter is toast (long story....search for "oh the horror" to read about what happens when the 30mm expansion bolt backs out of the pinion shaft....not pretty. ohmy.gif

So I am now taking that gear stack and putting in into another side shifter with a good ring gear......good times biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.