Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Sway Bar Reinforcement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
So.... when I cut out the rear section of my trunk pan for repair, I made a template for the little trapezoid reinforcement plates for the sway bar and... apparently threw it in the scrap bin and can't find it. headbang.gif Could anyone be so kind as to shoot the measurements of those little dudes and maybe the gauge of steel if you know it? I'll go with 18g. unless someone says different, but would like to get the dimensions right. Stole this pic from a recent thread of what I'm talking about:

IPB Image

and goes here:

Click to view attachment

Thanks beer.gif
Montreal914
Got my kit from Maddog, rear brackets and reinforcement plate. Plates are only .023" thick. blink.gif

Dimensions: Long side 4", short side 2 3/8", and width 2", and the rest diagonal...

Good luck beerchug.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 30 2018, 06:11 PM) *

Got my kit from Maddog, rear brackets and reinforcement plate. Plates are only .023" thick. blink.gif

Dimensions: Long side 4", short side 2 3/8", and width 2", and the rest diagonal...

Good luck beerchug.gif

thumb3d.gif I owe ya beerchug.gif Wow, that's thin. I've got some 24g I could use, but that is surprisingly thin. Might explain why one of mine had rusted into oblivion though.
Montreal914
I don't know if this is the stock thickness though confused24.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Mar 30 2018, 06:24 PM) *

I don't know if this is the stock thickness though confused24.gif

I wondered about that. Seems unlikely Maddog would go thinner than stock though. Seems like they would go the other way. We'll see if anyone else has thoughts.

Thanks again smile.gif
Steve
That’s my picture. It’s definetly thicker than that. Feels like same thickness as other parts of the car 19gauge? I will measure it in a bit.
Steve
16 gauge
Click to view attachment
Steve
Click to view attachment
Steve
Click to view attachment
Steve
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Definitely thicker than .023. Drill a bunch of holes for easier welding.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bbrock
Awesome! Thanks guys! aktion035.gif
Montreal914
Well I guess I will make a new set based on the dimensions provided by Steve. beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Brad Mayer at 914 LTD has made these for years, pretty sure same gage as OEM
restore2seater
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 2 2018, 12:00 PM) *

Brad Mayer at 914 LTD has made these for years, pretty sure same gage as OEM

Rear sway bar mounts
bbrock
Thought I'd wrap this thread up. The Brad Mayeur kit looks like the way to go if you are adding a sway bar to a car that didn't have one. Mine already had one so already had the bracket and just needed the reinforcement to replace what came off when I replaced the rear trunk pan. I picked up a piece of 16g at Lowes for 6 bucks. If you have a strong grip, you can cut it with aviation snips, which is what I did. Punched holes for plug welds a stuck it in. Easy peasy. Thanks for the measurements Steve beerchug.gif Here's one before grinding:

Click to view attachment
gothspeed
Looks good! Thanks for posting the wrap up. I believe I made mine from 16 ga. at minimum then welded them up the same way as yours. Possibly with some weld spots around the perimeter. smash.gif
Mikey914
I ordered amd was impressed with the 914LTD (Brad Mayer ) kit, and im working a deal to stock his product. He also has some special features on his chassis reinforcement kit that are noteworthy. Will be making an official announcement in a week or two, but hes bern doing these for years and has really done more than just plasma cut metal shapes and bend.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.