Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: getting the door gap right
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dkos
I'm starting rust repair on my longs, but am having trouble getting the door gaps right. Does anyone have a higher resolution diagram of the measurements? I can't tell from the diagram on the 914 Info page where to take measurements.

I have my car on jacks similar to this pic from a riverman post:

dkos
dkos
When I jack the back of the car up to the point where the door gap looks good the, it's too tight where the top of the doorframe hits the windshield frame.
SirAndy
windshield hoop could be bend.
happens a lot actually. people used it to lift themselves out of the car, bending it downwards ...

i don't have anything besides the stuff in the "914 Info" section ...
smash.gif Andy
John
I'm with SirAndy. I would consider that the windshield frame is not right.

Just my $0.02, but I would work to get the door gap consistant with the measurements in the 914 info section and make sure your doors look right. I would also suggest to make sure the bottom of the fenders and bottom of the door is perfectly straight. (it looks like it is on your car when your door gap looks right).

You could look at the thread I started to fix my incorrect door gap. There are jigs you can get that basically "fixture" your car to the correct dimensions.

After the door gaps are good and the tub is solid, I would do whatever it takes to get the windshield frame within reasonable dimensions. The windshield frame moves quite easily.

dkos
I just realized that there are detail photos linked to the Fig.#s on the Body Dimensions Pagejavascript:emoticon(':blink:') . I feel like a dope...well, kindly disregard my request for a more detailed diagram

and thank you for the tip about the windshield frame bending...I'll stick a couple o' 2x4s in there (like Riverman did in the photo above)

dkos
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.