Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RennList Specials - Xenon HID lighta
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ArtechnikA
i know some of you are still RennList Members, but you may not follow the 911 list even if you are, so you might have missed the recent posting of the Vertex Automotive Rennlist Member specials on HID light conversions.

i'm pretty tempted to get a set in for the 911. if you have an H4 headlight setup, this might be an option for you, too. (i know Marchal has the Amplilux H4 conversion setup - i ran one in my first /6....)

unlike some conversions, this kit comes with a halogen bulb for highbeam so for those of us who live in states which require demonstrated high/low switching during a state-mandated vehicle inspection, this could be a better option than some kits that are lowbeam-only.

the guy at Vertex who cleared up that point for me mentioned that he hadn't actually used his highbeams in his personal 911 since performing the conversion. probably some of that is marketeering but since they consume much less power in operation (35W) than uprated halogens, it could be a good thing expecially for the amp-challenged /4 alternator.

i have no connection with Vertex, not even as a customer (yet) but it could be worth checking out. they also seem to have decent prices on 5-lug spacers and turbo tie rod kits. they "don't do" 914's but they do have parts that at least some 914's can use. since i haven't been through the checkout process yet i have no idea how, or if, RennList membership is validated.

here's the URL:
Vertex Automotive Rennlist Specials Page
Eric_Shea
Hmmmmmmmmmm idea.gif

I've got H1's on the 9-a-lebbin but, I've got a set of H4 assemblies for the teener, might be an option. That and a set of Craig lights and I'd be

ESSINLIGHTINGUPTHENIGHT

Thanks Rich. wink.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jun 6 2005, 01:42 PM)
I've got H1's on the 9-a-lebbin...

they have an H1 kit too ...

RKHINDARKNESSISNOTAFACTOR

i really need fogs on this car, my seating position is so low that when the streets are wet the headlights just reflect up into space as far as i can see...

so - a pair of Hella microHID fog and driving lights, and my car could probably be tracked from orbit :-)...

donno quite where i'd mount the fogs and driving lights, although i do have some plans in work...
Eric_Shea
I think their H1 kit is for 993's. Aren't those different than the very early H1's?

Mine has the two separate bulbs and a little squirrel that runs on a wheel in a cage in the front trunk after dark. biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jun 6 2005, 03:31 PM)
I think their H1 kit is for 993's. Aren't those different than the very early H1's?

donno, i've gotta ask them about the hi-beam halogen so i'll ask 'em about that too. i'd expect if it's a bulb-replacemenbt element that it -could- be as easy as that. in your case (i donno about 993...) it'd just work on the lowbeam and you'd have your regular other H1 high beam.

but i donno, so i'll ask...
Eric_Shea
Thanks!
ArtechnikA
here's what they said about the H1's:
The 993 H1 setup will work perfect on his car. He would only need to
determine wether or not he wanted the xenon in the high or low spot.

so that's the good news. the bad news on H4's is that the halogen highbeam cannot be replaced independently; i've asked what is the wattage of that bulb and haven't heard back yet; i'll edit this reply when they get back to me (they're really quick typically...)

so - E - tell me about those H1 headlights :-) ...

Xenon HID low beam and 100W high beam are sounding pretty attractive just about now...
do you have the headlights with the flat face with the larger glas bezel up top per such:
Eric_Shea
Those are the ones. They're going for a pretty penny these days though. I believe I'm loaded with 80 and 100 right now. I was looking for some more detailed pictures but I don't seem to have any... sad.gif
ArtechnikA
s'posedly the H1 and H4 lenses have the same profiles, although i'd expect the light-focusing flutes would be different to account for the different bulb placement - and that the H1 lenses wouldn't say 'H4' the way mine do :-) ...

prolly i should go ahead and do the H4 conversion now, and if i'm able to turn up a restorable set of H1's, redeploy the H4 setup to the Subie...

unfortunately i have a sinking feeling they're going to be putting 55W halogens in the highbeam position...
Eric_Shea
unfortunately i have a sinking feeling they're going to be putting 55W halogens in the highbeam position...

Legally, that's all they can do right?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jun 6 2005, 04:41 PM)
Legally, that's all they can do right?

legally, the whole concept of retrofitting HID bulbs into assemblies not designed for them, is on pretty shaky ground, and i wouldn't be surprised to find 'for offroad use only' in the fine print somewhere -- just as undopubtedly came on the H4 and H1 assemblies you and i have.

halogens aren't "legal" on our old cars, AFAIK, although at some point they quit caring.
it was a big source of concern moving here to PA with its annual inspections, but it's been okay so far. i'm headed for 'antique' plates next, i think, just as soon as i get another daily driver running. that'd halt the inspections although i have to do a bit of handwaving on the updated RS coachwork. but it's very clear those plates are NOT intended for a daily driver, and a hardnosed cop would be in a position to enforce that provision, and i'd have no real defense without alternate transportation.

LH 911's may be a dime a dozen and scarcely worthy of a second glance in SoCal but up here, there are VERY few on the road.
meares
i ran through the thread fairly quick, so forgive me if the question has been asked,BUT, will it fit in a'14? this is my 1st forey into 914ism so i'm not sure if i have an H4 or H400 biggrin.gif
ArtechnikA
unless you (or a PO) have done some serious upgrading to Euro lighting, you have plain ol' sealed beams, maybe with modern halogen replacement bulbs, like Sylvania SilverStar (good bulbs...)

Cibie Z-Beams were early halogen lamps that could be used, or possibly a set of now-rare Marchal Amplilux.

if the headlights in question use H1 or H4 halogen bulbs, this kit can be used.
if you're looking to convert to an actual Xenon headlamp assembly - this isn't one.
they're out there, but this is a kit to replace BULBS - not lamp assemblies.
ArtechnikA
update.

got them installed, got a chance finally to run them in the dark.
i like 'em.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.