Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake fluid (j 1703)?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
yes, you should use some rolleyes.gif
ArtechnikA
i give up, what's "j 1703" ?

the DOT rating should be on the sealed container.
if it's not, it should be treated with extreme suspicion...
Cap'n Krusty
I use DOT 4 here at the shop. Ate "gold" or somesuch thing. Wagner, Castrol LMA should be fine. Dot 3 should be OK, as that's what was available when the cars were new. Ate "Super Blue" is good, too, but it costs more. The Cap'n
ArtechnikA
went to the spec book for guidance, and there i discovered that the recommended brake fluid is: "SAE Specification j1703a" okay - so that's what *that* is. i donno what that "means" tho because i don't have that specification. interestingly, neither, evidently, does SAE anymore, per a search here:

SAE search for j1703

but reading between the lines a bit, my educated guess is that 1703 is DOT3, 1704 is DOT4, (which standard *is* available) and 1705 is DOT5 (similarly available).

i use DOT 4 anyway. in the good ol' days i liked Castrol/Lockheed "LMA-GT" but i haven't seen it for a while - probably the packaging has changed and i just don't recognise it. i now use Valvoline SynPower DOT4.

the other fluids mentioned (especially the Ate's) are quite good. no matter how good they are, change 'em every couple of years TOPS for a car in street service, before every event for a track car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.