Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Problem?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ne14914
The car starts great -

However, when i cut on the radio and lights the car sometimes stalls. When I turn the stereo off, the car runs fine. I dont have a multimeter so i tried the pull the battery cable off while the run is running trick. The car stayed running until I turned on the lights or stereo.

This does sound like the alternator doesnt it?

If I need to replace it, how do I get to it? I have the haynes manual, but I think I need a 914 manual for dummies, because most of the repairs I have done following the haynes manual Ive done through trial and error.

Anyone have any picks on how to get to it? or any detailed instructions?

Really appreciate any help.
seanery
haynes manuals suck!

they say it takes 4 hours to do shocks on a 914, it can be done in 15.

wish i could offer some real help, but I can't
Jeff Krieger
Check out Griznant's post in this thread on the other 914 board. I'm kind of a concourse weenie but I like it.
tryan
you might have multiple problems or none. a cheap multimeter is $20 at radio shack. don't pull the battery cables while the car is running. it can do more damage.

1.)buy a meter. set it on dc voltage on the 20 scale.
2.)you should have 12.4 to 12.6 volts at the battery posts with the car off. getting down around 12.1 or .2 your battery is marginal. you might get a specific gravity battery tester if you are 'old school'.
3.) start the car. with everything off you should get 13 to 14.7 volts at idle. i like 14.1 max. myself.
4.) rev the engine up to 2k or so and the voltage should stay in the specified range.

check the simple stuff first. fuse #9 should be cleaned. all the wires at the battery should have a good connection. do a 'idle and headlight' search on the bird board.
rhodyguy
i don't know is this applicable to this issue, but... there is a large bundle of grounds infront of the relay board. i think they are often over looked. when i did the engine bay the area hidden was kind of gross.

kevin
ne14914
on my way to radio shack R A T now. boldblue.gif I hope Im not toying with this car all weekend. Id rather be driving it tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.