Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possibly -6 engine sheet metal group buy (similar to gpr sets)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mb911
I have all the drawings done and ready to start making sets. Who needs a set? Retail is going to be in the 500 range group buy prices will be less but how much less depends on how many buyers.

Who is interested? Please note these are going to similar to the gpr sets not as nice as the RD sets thus priced much less.
restore2seater
I'm in.
mb911
1 set so far.
JOEPROPER
I'm in for 1.
billh1963
Can you explain in more detail the differences?
mb911
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 2 2018, 09:09 AM) *

Can you explain in more detail the differences?

The RD sets are the premier better then oem sets. Mine will be laser cut and then hand formed over wood bucks similar to my prototypes here.Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment

Remember these are prototypes the laser cut ones will be nicer.
mepstein
Ben used my oem set for a template so while not the same cosmetically, the fit should be very good.
billh1963
I'm in if the price can get down close to $400.

mb911
If memory served the GPR sets sold for 395 a set on ebay and that was when dave shepherd was still with us and owned GPR. I plan to have heat provisions in here as well. A block off will be supplied.

Dave must be gone now 10 years so price wise not sure how I will be able to compete. The laser cuts them selves are super inexpensive it will be semi labor intensive as they will be hand made.

Going to shoot for 400 for group buy if at all possible.
mb911
So count is about 7 sets with pm's and replys. Need 3 more for a good price break.
mb911
Here are the samples off of the dxf files.. Click to view attachment
mepstein
This will also be a nice start for anyone considering a 3.6 conversion. That engine requires a lot of mods to the engine tin so it wouldn’t make any sense to buy the super nice resto design pieces.
mb911
I would also sell them unbent for those CSOBs lol.
injunmort
i am in for a set of bent, ready to go.
mb911
Sent for quotes on 2 different materials today.
MasterCylinder
Is this still open? If so I would like a set.
jcd914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 4 2018, 11:54 AM) *

Did you ever think about doing these in aluminum?

I would love to be in the market for a set no time soon (if ever).
I always thought aluminum would be a cool way to go.

Jim
mb911
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 13 2018, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 4 2018, 11:54 AM) *

Did you ever think about doing these in aluminum?

I would love to be in the market for a set no time soon (if ever).
I always thought aluminum would be a cool way to go.

Jim

Might be an option

Parts will all be cut Monday and will start forming next week.. Those that want in let me know for sure. We will be very cost effective price wise. Please email all that want in mbconsulting21@gmail.com
mb911
Laser cuts done. Will start forming .. Need a final count.. Price is $395 + 20 for shipping.. Retail will be $495

Now taking deposits.. Paypal or check to m&b specialties
davehg
That's a great price Ben - good on you for providing a lower cost option to the very nice but very pricey RD tins
mb911
QUOTE(davehg @ Apr 17 2018, 11:52 AM) *

That's a great price Ben - good on you for providing a lower cost option to the very nice but very pricey RD tins

Thanks.. Had 12 sets cut so should be able to take care of all that wanted sets..
injunmort
paid in full via paypal
mb911
QUOTE(injunmort @ Apr 18 2018, 06:46 AM) *

paid in full via paypal

Got it thanks.. You get the 1st set..
peteyd

Sorry for the highjack, but I can not hold my tongue. In my opinion our tins are not overpriced. You obviously have no idea what it takes to produce these parts for our 914's. Five dies costing well over 10k each is why I can't sell a set for $400. Its this kind of attitude that deters me from making more 914 panels.

Ben, sorry for the rant. I have no beef with you making your own product.

Pete
mepstein
QUOTE(peteyd @ Apr 18 2018, 05:08 PM) *

Sorry for the highjack, but I can not hold my tongue. In my opinion our tins are not overpriced. You obviously have no idea what it takes to produce these parts for our 914's. Five dies costing well over 10k each is why I can't sell a set for $400. Its this kind of attitude that deters me from making more 914 panels.

Pete

Pete - I don’t think anyone said overpriced. Pricey but there certainly is a cost to making factory spec parts. Not even that pricy when you see what oem tin sells for. Ben’s are not the right part for a factory 6. Yours are not the right part if someone needs to modify tin to install a 3.6.
There is no question that we all appreciate you making parts for our cars.
mb911
QUOTE(peteyd @ Apr 18 2018, 01:08 PM) *

Pete

Pete your parts are absolutely the best product out there and are not overpriced.. And trust me I have no beef with you either..

My goal is to provide a turn key conversion package and this is one of the last pieces to the puzzle.

In fact would love to carry your sets as a better option for my customers if you would be willing?

I would consider my sets to like going to an aldis or maybe costco versus a nice quality food market..

warpig
I too have a need for /6 tin.
Haven't researched what I need for my conversion yet but I'm sure I need some if not all of this. chowtime.gif
restore2seater
Paypal sent.
mb911
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Apr 19 2018, 02:45 PM) *

Paypal sent.

Got it.. Sounds like back from laser early next week..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 18 2018, 05:50 PM) *

I would consider my sets to like going to an aldis or maybe costco versus a nice quality food market..

So I just did my weekly Costco run ....
seangee
I am in
mb911
QUOTE(MasterCylinder @ Apr 13 2018, 03:27 PM) *

Is this still open? If so I would like a set.

Ok will contact you when they are ready.
PcarDave
I'm in!
bahnzai
Paid in full too.
Thx!
mb911
Making some progress but nothing much will happen until the revised bucks are finished.. Will be next week..
mb911
Forming is underway..

I have 4 sets paid for at this point and will be shipping as each set completes..

Still have give or take 5 sets available.
billh1963
Ben,
Are wanting a deposit or the full amount?

Thank you
mb911
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 9 2018, 04:08 PM) *

Ben,

Thank you

Either way.. Just so I know how many to really make up.
mb911
A little update. Forming has started. Making the 1st sample sets from laser cuts then production from there.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 10 2018, 06:33 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 9 2018, 04:08 PM) *

Ben,

Thank you

Either way.. Just so I know how many to really make up.

I'll send a check today. thank you
mepstein
Looks great!
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 14 2018, 03:09 PM) *

Looks great!

Thanks. So much closer to a turn key conversion kit. The flywheel setups are probably the last bit..

Not gonna make those though..
Tdskip
I am interested Ben.

3.2l figment the same as 2.7l etc?
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 16 2018, 08:00 PM) *

I am interested Ben.

I used a gpr set on my 3.2. It just requires opening one hole for the sensor that exits the back of the engine. Takes 5 minutes. That’s why you want to fit the tin to the engine before you powdercoat.

A 3.6 is a whole other story.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2018, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 16 2018, 08:00 PM) *

I am interested Ben.

I used a gpr set on my 3.2. It just requires opening one hole for the sensor that exits the back of the engine. Takes 5 minutes. That’s why you want to fit the tin to the engine before you powdercoat.

A 3.6 is a whole other story.

What he said
mb911
Test fit tonight.. Still some modding but pretty close.Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.