Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a 2+L Mystery Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
MarkV
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 22 2018, 07:23 AM) *

QUOTE(MarkV @ Apr 21 2018, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 21 2018, 10:28 AM) *

I don't know that there is consensus on the head gasket. I don't remember details from reading those old threads except that at least one knowledgeable person said the VW recommendation to remove them was for a specific application (only bus maybe?) and didn't apply to us. The only other part I remember was that after all the reading, I decided I will be installing them when my heads go back on, but would love to hear opinions as it is a decision that I'll be making soon as well.

Tom Wilson's book has a good description for measuring deck height. It's worth having if you don't already.

There is lots of information about the pros and cons but I think the consensus is not to use the sealing rings. They are prone to blowout failure, I didn't use them on my rebuild. I lapped the cylinders to the heads with valve lapping compound.

Do you have to compensate for removing the head sealing ring with shim rings at the base of the cylinder?

The sealing rings aren't all that thick and I had to add shims to set my C/R anyway. Both Jake & Mark Henry condemn the use of the sealing rings..... that was enough for me.
Literati914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 22 2018, 09:23 AM) *

Do you have to compensate for removing the head sealing ring with shim rings at the base of the cylinder?

I'd assume if we could locate shims for the case side, that equals what was already there + the thickness of the seal rings - then replacing the shims would be ideal for maintaining the compression ration. However, like was mentioned those seal rings are really thin, so I'm not sure if it's possible.

I plan to lap the head/cylinders, it's common procedure when deleting the seal rings but another questions I've been wondering.. is there any such lapping done at the case side with cylinders, shims, case ? Also, have I read that there's a paper gasket that gets eliminated too?
MarkV
QUOTE(Dougster @ Apr 22 2018, 10:04 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 22 2018, 09:23 AM) *

I'd assume if we could locate shims for the case side, that equals what was already there + the thickness of the seal rings - then replacing the shims would be ideal for maintaining the compression ration. However, like was mentioned those seal rings are really thin, so I'm not sure if it's possible.

I plan to lap the head/cylinders, it's common procedure when deleting the seal rings but another questions I've been wondering.. is there any such lapping done at the case side with cylinders, shims, case ? Also, have I read that there's a paper gasket that gets eliminated too?

The registers were really hard to get clean and flat on my engine. When I first checked the deck height it was different on every cylinder. There was paper and glue residue from the factory paper gasket on the registers. Once I got the registers clean the deck height was close to the same on all 4 cylinders. I had my cylinders bored to 96mm and used flat top KB pistons. If I remember correctly I had to ad a .030 shim to get the compression ratio right.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Cylinder-Base...-base-shims.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.