Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Want to buy dash basketweave material.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
rgalla9146
Can someone recommend a supplier of quality basketweave material
to recover a complete early dash face.
TIA
Rory
914Sixer
All the usual places: 914Rubber, AA, SMC,
Mikey914
We finally replicated the early correct basket weave that I refer to actually is brickmold in the black that matches Factory. Will be listing that up later tomorrow.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 3 2018, 10:50 PM) *

We finally replicated the early correct basket weave that I refer to actually is brickmold in the black that matches Factory. Will be listing that up later tomorrow.

Mark, the factory called the original 70-74 pattern basketweave - not brickweave, & the 75-76 then was commonly called "brickweave" because it looks like a "Running Bond" brick layout, although the factory still called it "Basketweave".

I think it's more confusing for you to now call the early pattern brickweave, & you may end up with more mis-orders &/or lost orders due to the misunderstanding.

Just a thought!

PS - You can see the factory terms on all fabrics, leathers, vinyls at the hotlinked factory brochure pages at Jeff's 914 website -

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 3 2018, 07:45 PM) *

All the usual places: 914Rubber, AA, SMC,

agree.gif ..... & pretty much any Porsche parts vendor has it, as well as Auto International in Escondido CA, World Upholstery in Ventura CA, & other Porsche 914/911/912 upholstery kit & fabric sellers have the fabric that you can buy a yard or 1/2.

And if you have a sample piece from your own 914, you may be able to take it to a local auto upholstery shop that does imports, to see if they have a match. Sometimes they may even have some extra trim scraps which you canget cheaper/free & cut to fit your dash.

Make sure to use a good quality 3M upholstery adhesive, & do it per their instructions - usually spraying both surfaces, so you'll have to mask the entire interior if in place, per temps & humidity specs, etc. - in order to not have it peal/curl/etc.

Even then, you may get some peeling/curling since they've had to reformulate adhesives for EPA etc., so some don't stick as well as the bulletproof stuff from the 70's.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mikey914
The only reason I call it brick mold is that it looks like bricks stacked, while the other pattern looks more like the weave of the basket.

here's the correct pattern, it's slightly rounded and not quite as square as the commercially available stuff (that we have also).
Mikey914
This is the commercially available material
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.