Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Standard or lightened flywheel for a 3.2 build?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Going to be a street car, civility is important, so what do you all think?

Thanks!
mepstein
I think if you go light, you want to get a custom chip to keep from stalling at 1st gear starts. It maybe fine just to raise the idle speed.
Tdskip
Good morning - maybe just leave well enough alone then?
914dave
Did some research on this when I built my car. Too light and you have deceleration issues like Mark mentioned. I decided to do without for drivability. It accelerates fast enough for me with my old man reflexes.
Tdskip
QUOTE(914dave @ Apr 4 2018, 09:21 AM) *

Did some research on this when I built my car. Too light and you have deceleration issues like Mark mentioned. I decided to do without for drivability. It accelerates fast enough for me with my old man reflexes.

Thank you for the response. I need to track down a 225 mm flywheel anyway, which I presume will be slightly lighter than the 240 mm, so decision made that I'm am going to leave the stock weight.

Thank you very much Gentlemen
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 4 2018, 10:32 AM) *

QUOTE(914dave @ Apr 4 2018, 09:21 AM) *

Thank you for the response. I need to track down a 225 mm flywheel anyway, which I presume will be slightly lighter than the 240 mm, so decision made that I'm am going to leave the stock weight.

Thank you very much Gentlemen

A 3.2 is really a strong engine in a 914 no matter how you do it. Curb weight of a mid 80's Carrera was around 2800+ lbs so dropping it in one of our cars makes it feel like its an even bigger engine than it is.
stownsen914
If you want more bang for your buck in saving rotating weight, get an aluminum 225mm pressure plate instead of the heavy steel or iron or whatever the regular ones were made of. That will save a lot more weight than shaving a little off a 225mm flywheel. The 225mm flywheels are relatively light to begin with.

Scott
burton73
I had this Engine in my 86 Carrera Cab. Put the Steve Wong chip in it and it will pull like you want from a very low RPM all the way through the RPM fight up to red line.

Stock set up is great. 230-240HP

You are going to like it. Now the question on gears it yet to be answered.

Bob B
driving.gif
Tdskip
Thanks gentlemen.

I was planning on using the OEM gearbox from the '74.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 4 2018, 02:00 PM) *

Thanks gentlemen.

I was planning on using the OEM gearbox from the '74.

From a 74 911 or 914? I am using a 901 gearbox still in my 3.2, it works well and I like the shorter gears for the track (vs stock 3.2 911). I run shorter tires and I could benefit from longer gear ratios but currently I don't max out my rpm's at any racetrack. I do run at 3,800rpm on the fwy though. 1st gear is pointless .
mepstein
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 4 2018, 02:44 PM) *

I had this Engine in my 86 Carrera Cab. Put the Steve Wong chip in it and it will pull like you want from a very low RPM all the way through the RPM fight up to red line.

Stock set up is great. 230-240HP

You are going to like it. Now the question on gears it yet to be answered.

Bob B
driving.gif

If you are using a 914 box, I would get it up and running with the stock gears, especially if the box is in good shape. Drive it for a while and then find a 2nd box to modify if you feel you need something different. It never hurts to have an extra box and you won't really know what you want/need until you drive it for a while.
Tdskip
Good morning, and that’s for the responses.

I am going to use the factory 914 gearbox to start.

Why would I want to potentially modify that? Taller 5th? Can’t imagine I would need a lower 1st with a 3.2....

EDIT - looks like I may want a taller 5th gear to lower highway RPM.

Thanks!
pcar916
I don't know about the 3.2 but I'm using the Patrick Motorsports aluminum conversion flywheel to an old style 225mm pull-type clutch with my 993 engine. The original Flywheel/clutch/PP on the '95 993 weighs 55lbs and mine is 19lbs.

Before I built the car I was assured that this setup would never allow a smooth idle but that turned out not to be the case. So the 993 DME doesn't mind it. What I don't know is whether the 3.2 DME unit would be as forgiving... never done that conversion.

This clutch is a "sport" version so it's clamping strength is better than the stock version but I haven't had any problems with street drivability, although it's a bit stiffer than some folks like. As for the trans...

Gearing is a shorter 3rd, forth, and a taller 5th with the standard 7:31 diff. Those gears have been fine for years, but you won't be in any one of them for very long if you're pouring the coals to it.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.