Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Little Wiggle Part II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
If you were with us last week, I got some help in tightening the passenger side bolt that holds the hub in place. A little wiggle....

Anyway, I am starting to think that I am getting excessive feedback through the wheel and this its not the bearings or adjustments to be made out there.

In short, with not too much forsce, I can move my steering wheel up and down about 1/2 inch. I was talking with a firend and he said that there are bearing in there that can be replaced. Is that BS?

It doesn't do much at low speeds, but at higher speeds, it she vibrates alot.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe assimilate.gif
Demick
Yep. If you can move your steering wheel up and down 1/2 inch, then you need to replace the bearing in the steering column. For whatever reason, the bearing has a plastic part inside it which disintigrates over time. Pretty much every 914 has either had it replaced or needs it replaced. Costs about $25 from the dealer and is a pain to replace.

Demick
nebreitling
yup, i second that -- you definitely need a new steering column bearing. cheap part, f-ing ton of work.

if you can move your steering wheel up and down a whole 1/2 inch, then your bearing is completly shot!!

but you may need new bushings, as well -- be sure to check the rear wheels (ie trail arm bushings) as well as the front, even if it feels like the wiggle is coming from up front. the rear bushings can be worn and the slop will throw the whole geometry out of wack (this was the case for me). best of luck,

n
KaptKaos
Yep. If you can move your steering wheel up and down 1/2 inch, then you need to replace the bearing in the steering column. For whatever reason, the bearing has a plastic part inside it which disintigrates over time. Pretty much every 914 has either had it replaced or needs it replaced. Costs about $25 from the dealer and is a pain to replace.

Ok, so how do I replace that bearing and those bushings? Is there a tech procdure documented anywhere that you know of?

Let me know.

Thanks,
Joe assimilate.gif
Demick
I was lucky and had it easy - only took me about 15 minutes:

1. pull the steering wheel
2. pull the turn signal and windshield wiper switches
3. You will see the bearing. Remove the snap ring that holds it in place.
4. If you are very lucky, you will be able to pull out the bearing - grab it or hook it with something and pull it out.
5. put it all back together with the new bearing.

If you are not lucky enough to pull it out from the front, then you have to do a lot more disassembly of the steering column. Not sure all of what is involved, but I've heard horror stories.

Demick
KaptKaos
I was lucky and had it easy - only took me about 15 minutes:

1. pull the steering wheel
2. pull the turn signal and windshield wiper switches
3. You will see the bearing. Remove the snap ring that holds it in place.
4. If you are very lucky, you will be able to pull out the bearing - grab it or hook it with something and pull it out.
5. put it all back together with the new bearing.

If you are not lucky enough to pull it out from the front, then you have to do a lot more disassembly of the steering column. Not sure all of what is involved, but I've heard horror stories.

It is the last part that has me worried. barf.gif

I'll keep you posted.

- Joe assimilate.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.