Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: Going to See Kraftwerk tonight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyAKAVW
As the topic says I'm going to see Kraftwerk play tongiht in Hollywood. Never been to one of their shows but it sounds like it should be pretty cool. I'm really curious to see what kind of crowd they draw.

Anyone ever been to one of their shows?

-Tony
redshift
Weirdos, like yourself.

laugh.gif

mueba.gif pray.gif screwy.gif pray.gif mueba.gif w00t.gif headbang.gif beerchug.gif

M
william harris
frarren, frarren, farren on the autobahn (hell, I don't know how to spell German) lol2.gif lol2.gif
tat2dphreak
the kind of freaks that listen to their music... you'll fit right in wink.gif probably a slightly older crowd now, if I was guessing...
vortrex
kraftwerk is great. I'm happy to be seeing devo again in august for the 2nd time in 2 years.
Allan
Oohh, I remember them. Strange electronic techno kind of stuff.

Joseph Mills
Awe man I'd love to see them in person. I've been a fan of theirs forever.

I have all their stuff on original mint vinyl.

They're pioneers. Great, great sounds.

Proof positive that nerds can rock. biggrin.gif
TonyAKAVW
I'm thinking that if Kraftwerk were to drive cars they would drive 914s. But they are apparently cyclists to the bone, so who knows.

I'm sure I'll fit in. I'm going with a couple coworkers, also electrical engineers, and ham radio geeks. My wife was not really interested in going. Gee I wonder why...

-Tony
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jun 6 2005, 04:09 PM)
I'm thinking that if Kraftwerk were to drive cars they would drive 914s. But they are apparently cyclists to the bone, so who knows.

I'm sure I'll fit in. I'm going with a couple coworkers, also electrical engineers, and ham radio geeks. My wife was not really interested in going. Gee I wonder why...

-Tony

I think you're right. ohmy.gif

The Autobahn album has the best recording of a VW starting up and driving away I've ever heard.

Maybe your wife saw this early photo of Ralf and Florian. biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jun 6 2005, 02:28 PM)
Anyone ever been to one of their shows?

yupp, several. in the early/mid '80s ...
those guys are OLD! biggrin.gif

"Autobahn" came out in '74!

i'd say, the best bet to approach one of their concerts is to *not* expect anything and make sure you stay close to the bar ...

aktion035.gif Andy
Allan
Arent they also similar to "Switched On Bach"?
redshift
More like P.D.Q. Bach.

huh.gif

Brandenburg Concerto No. 5, with a 'plumbist' soloing on fixtures.

M
iamchappy
Im a operator with a pocket calculator...........

She's a model and she's looking good.........
vortrex
cool little interview in LA paper this week.

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/05/28/music-babcock.php
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (Headrage @ Jun 6 2005, 05:34 PM)
Arent they also similar to "Switched On Bach"?

Maybe you're thinking of the album, "Switched On Bach" released in the early 70's. Classical music played on Moog synths by Wendy Carlos.

There is some similarity in that they both popularized the use of Moog synths during the early 70's and became hugely successful and world famous.

Greg Bell
Damn, somebody beat me to the "pocket calculator" reference. Kraftwerk rules! Devo drools!
Katmanken
I'm holding out for the Tangerine Dream tour......

Ken
grantsfo
Wow they are still around? I had one of thier albums in the early 80's. What do they play now 25 years later the same techno stuff?

...I'm thinking its time for DEVO revival tour now! Whip it whip it good!
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (iamchappy @ Jun 6 2005, 05:50 PM)
Im a operator with a pocket calculator...........

She's a model and she's looking good.........

This one is pretty good for us...

"We are driving, driving, driving, on the Autobahn
Before us is a huge valley
The sun is shining in a glittering stream
The road is a grey ribbon
I'm in my 914
White stripes, green edges
Now we turn on the radio
And spilling from the speaker is..."
'Autobahn' -Kraftwerk

well, it's good unless you're jackstand bound... sad.gif

biggrin.gif
i love porsche
i was at the NYC show with 2 friends...FREAKING AWESOME!

i like some electronic music...and kraftwerk is one of my favorites...but man..there were some OOOOLLLD people there...i guess thats what happens when youre around for 30+ years...

ive got pics here

http://photobucket.com/albums/y30/theboyfr...ne/kraftwerk11/
TonyAKAVW
Just got back from the show. It was very very cool. I really enjoyed it a lot. I was a bit worried that it could be boring but it was really a very enjoyable concert, the music was great, the visuals great.

One of the things I really liked was that the volume was not just tolerable, but really enjoyable without earplugs. The bass was a bit loud and you could hear distortion sometimes, but otherwise it was acoustically really nice.

The stage presence was definitely different from anything I'd ever seen. For a while I thought they may have been playing solitaire or maybe checking the 914club site. When the robots were on stage, they actually moved a lot more than the human performers!

As for the music it was a good mix of their classics and some of their new stuff. I had never heard Tour de France and I really like it. Its pretty new for them, I believe its only a few years old or less.

-Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.