Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Often To Run My Garage Queen?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Midtowner
Couldn't find a previous thread on this subject but does anyone have advice how often I should drive my garage queen? I am mainly concerned with keeping the fuel lines fresh and oil distributed over critical parts. My current practice is driving the car at least ten to twenty miles every three weeks. Thank you in advance! smile.gif
redshift
The least I would want to do is one, or two heat cycles per week.. I just don't like the moisture sitting in there, with the oil drained off.

M
anthony
I run mine one to three times a week in the summer and maybe once or twice a month in the winter. I think once a month would be sufficient as long as you drive the car long enough to reach full operating temperature.

Lately I've been disconnecting the battery which prevents the clock from running down the battery.
Rand
Dang, it's kinda sad to hear about a teener that is only driven just enough to keep it alive. ohmy.gif
But hey, I bet it's a beaut.

I drive mine as much as possible! w00t.gif
Midtowner
Yes, it is kind of sad driving it once in a while to keep it alive. Thirty years in the family, 88,000 miles, original paint, and no rust, I am deciding what direction to go in the future. Until then, I am just keeping it from disintegrating into a pile of iron. smile.gif
Rand
Wish you were closer. I don't charge much to drive one now and then! biggrin.gif

Sounds like you've got a prescious car there. Wow, 30 years in the fam and no rust! Glad to hear you are taking good care of her.
lapuwali
Well, you're not going to keep the fuel lines themselves "fresh". Rubber deteriorates with age whether it's used or not. Engine heat only hastens the process. Keeping the fuel itself fresh is another matter. Keep the tank full during storage, which reduces condensation in the tank (which causes rust, as the heavier water sinks to the bottom of the tank).

I've seen parts in an engine that sat for several years still oil covered, so I'd not worry too much about the oil draining off. It will react with moisture, anyway, so sludge will still form. 30 miles isn't a terribly long trip, about the minimum I'd say was worthwhile doing.
markb
Fill it up, drive it until the tank is empty. Fill it up, drive it until the tank is empty. Fill it up, drive it until the tank is empty. Fill it up, drive it until the tank is empty. Fill it up, drive it until the tank is empty. Fill it up, drive it until the tank is empty. biggrin.gif
Midtowner
LMAO Mark! Thanks! driving.gif
MattR
I heard a rumor you need to drive it at least once a day... with the top off on a tight mountain road driving.gif

biggrin.gif
GWN7
You can put fuel stableizer in the tank to help it from not settleing out.
tracks914
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Jun 6 2005, 03:34 PM)
You can put fuel stableizer in the tank to help it from not settleing out.

Do they even use fuel stabilzer in the US? I know I use it every winter in my car, lawn mower and outboard motor and every summer in my snowblower and snowmachine.
The stuff works great at maintaining the octane level in the gas so it doesn't turn to varnish.
Joe Bob
Mostly Marine applications...but yes we use it.
SGB
does that stuff really work?
conversely, I ascribe too the "Mark method".
Yaknow, as long as you take care of the paint and interior and drive defensively, you should be able to put infinite miles on. Just do the upkeep.....

(edit- OK not infinitely really, but my lifetime)
Midtowner
Fuel Stabilizer! Umm, I should have thought about that earlier. I'll keep the tank filled too. BTW: My father let the car sit in his garage for 16 years undisturbed. I'm lucky he kept the tank filled. Thanks for the suggestions! biggrin.gif
jimtab
DRIVE IT....its good for you and it won't hurt the car.... driving-girl.gif happy11.gif
Rhodes71/914
While your trying to figure out what direction to go in you should drive it as much as possible. This should help with your decision.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Rhodes71/914 @ Jun 7 2005, 09:49 AM)
While your trying to figure out what direction to go in you should drive it as much as possible. This should help with your decision.

If you want to know how to drive it I got this friend. Just put a orage cone in front of him and he will stand on the gas.
Personally I know gas will go bad in about a month. so no matter if it is full or empty you will have "flat gas". Stabilizer will help.
But ........ I make a point to drive the car to less than a quarter tank and only fill it up on the day I intend to drive the piss out of it. Way less carb problems with fresh gas. FI follows the same rules only worser when injector gets clogged.
TROJANMAN
i have 85k miles on my car, and i contemplated on limiting the number of days i drive it per year, because i don't ever want to hit 100k miles. then, something weird happened; i had the engine rebuilt and winter ended. then, the sun came out and it was suddenly 75 degrees. now i can't stop driving the darn thing. it has become my summer DD. driving.gif
Midtowner
Thanks for the good advice! Today looks like a great day for a drive! biggrin.gif
Eric Taylor
smilie_pokal.gif There ya Go! It's a car after all, ment to be driven not stared at right?
Eric
Midtowner
Went for a long drive tonight and decided a car is best enjoyed when driven. That said, I no longer care so much about keeping the car below 100,000 miles. After all, with 88,675 on the odo, my car is no longer one of those time warp cars at AA. Thoughts of a Jake Raby 2270, rollerbearing suspension and five-lug hubs are now on my mind. Thanks to everyone help me figure this out. driving.gif
TROJANMAN
guess you just neede d a alfred.gif
or perhaps a litlle spank.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.