Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 dash pad questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LCOX
I have a couple dash questions.
1- can the upper dash pad be taken out without taking out the windshield.
2- can these dash pads be recovered. Mine has several typical cracks but it's all there. Thanx.
sb914
Yes you can pull dash without pulling windshield. Not a fun job although.
You can cover dash but they look "puffy" get a new one from 914 rubber
One of the best interior bits you can buy.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(LCOX @ Apr 6 2018, 05:46 PM) *

2- can these dash pads be recovered. Mine has several typical cracks but it's all there. Thanx.

Yes, the upper dash pad can be removed with the windshield in place.
Patience required. The three steel nuts go on the vertical plane. The white nylon nuts on all the others. Don't ask me why.
Recover ? It's been done. YMMV
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 6 2018, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(LCOX @ Apr 6 2018, 05:46 PM) *

Yes, the upper dash pad can be removed with the windshield in place.
Patience required. The three steel nuts go on the vertical plane. The white nylon nuts on all the others. Don't ask me why.
Recover ? It's been done. YMMV

I always wondered about those steel nuts. I took apart some cars that I was sure were origional but the steel nuts confused me.
You can recover a dash but you are still dealing with a 45 year old piece of foam and the recover cost is about the same price or more than a new one from 914rubber.
Matty900
https://youtu.be/QZPoQd_V-6o here's a video of Brad Mayeur showing how to do the dash install
Larmo63
Not to hijack, but why are these new dash tops still being molded with the ashtray notch?

I wish the ugly ashtray wasn't there in my car smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif .
Coondog
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 6 2018, 07:56 PM) *

Not to hijack, but why are these new dash tops still being molded with the ashtray notch?

I wish the ugly ashtray wasn't there in my car smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif .

agree.gif
Mikey914
Get 98 more floks that want it. Ill make it if we have enough volume to pay for it
biggrin.gif
scallyk9
Personally, I'm for keeping the ash tray mount. For other uses. I have a drink holder in one of my 914s and a phone/GPS in the other.
JFG
I skinned my dashtop with a fibreglass skin to cover numerous splits. The only thing i didn't do was gauge the ash tray. It still works but it's a little tight.

I used a fine matt black texture paint and gave it another dusting of matt black paint for durability and depth of colour.

Looks good but if you want og this isn't it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.