Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original CA Blue/Gold License Plate list
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
JeffBowlsby
YOM plates are now legal in CA for the years that the 914 was made, but what is a correct plate# for your CA 914?

Lets make a list of original CA Blue/Gold license plates as a guide to help you find a set of YOM plates appropriate for your model year. Post your known original plates and model year info in this thread and I will update this first post for future reference:

288 BJG
061 BJW
408 CAF
___ CIL
218 DJW

747 CMA
348 DRC
426 EDO
120 EHB

366 GGA
785 GHD

441 GRR
187 GTT
530 GVS
237 HBQ
890 HHH
878 HVT
069 JBB
797 JDD
309 JSA

508 JYF
421 KEM
696 KKC
262 KMQ
078 KNA
221 KOP
439 LBO
481 LBR
070 LCC
114 LEE
768 LGP
258 LKG
504 LUV

384 MOZ
007 MWY
964 NAC
313 NPA (plates probably issued in 1976, maybe car sat on the dealer lot for a few months)

172 NNV
566 PKH
280 RLC

237 UDI (From a 1974 car brought into CA in 1977, when it received these CA plates)
Larmo63
441 GRR - 1973 ( early '73 )
fixer34
Can someone enlighten us other 49 states folks (and maybe non-US) about the significance of the blue/yellow, black/yellow, and other color combination California plates?
RAX914
This site explains the differences in California plates from 1969 onwards:

http://www.15q.net/ca.html

It's cool to have plates matching the era of the car

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Apr 6 2018, 05:53 PM) *

Can someone enlighten us other 49 states folks (and maybe non-US) about the significance of the blue/yellow, black/yellow, and other color combination California plates?
Tom_T
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Apr 6 2018, 04:53 PM) *

Some early 70 MY 914/4s & 914-6s sold in late 1969 had the prior series color scheme black with yellow (gold) letters plates - but the rest 1970-76 were blue with yellow (gold) letters (DMV & CA calls it "gold" because of the gold rush history).

Here's a quick summary of the variuos years & styles FYI -
http://www.lamag.com/driver/the-colorful-h...license-plates/

Another good one with pix of plates:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_regis...s_of_California

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 6 2018, 04:21 PM) *

YOM plates are now legal in CA, but what is a correct plate# for your 914?

Making a list of original CA Blue/Yellow license plates, here is what I have so far:

Plate # Model Year
426 EDO 1971
421 KEM 1974
696 KKC 1974
481 LBR 1974
070 LCC 1974
114 LEE 1974
258 LKG 1974
504 LUV 1974
964 NAC 1975

Please post your known original plates and model year and I will add them to this first post.

Jeff,

YOM has been legal for a long time, but it only went up to 1969 plates, so that limited it to early 70 MY 914s sold in late 1969.

What is new is that recently the State extended the date out to 1985 for YOM, so now all 70-76 914's are eligible for YOM plates.

For the 49-staters, YOM is "Year of Manufacture" program which enables the owner of a classic car to find/buy a set of 2 period correct plates for their car, & if it's not an assigned plate number, then they can apply to have it put on their car/registration to replace whatever later plates are on it, or if it comes in from out of state.

PS - This YOM is also good for trucks/commercial vehicles, motorcycles & trailers. A couple of years back I did a YOM on our vintage restored 1960 Avion T20 trailer (#2 T20 made, looks like Airstream). It wasn't excessively painful at the Santa Ana DMV cuz the gal doing them knew about YOMs, & I'd verified that it was an unassigned plate (NOS) before I purchased it, & did the same for the MY sticker - so it sailed throu since neither were then assigned to another trailer.

Jeff, I did verify a couple of months ago with the auto plate collectors group that the letter series can be out of order, since they were issued to various DMV offices, AAA, etc., & it depended on how quickly/slowly each place went through them.

You'll also find some of the later 76s & maybe a few 75s which have the additional digit added (7 digits like found on the next white/blue series).

FYI - my 73 2L was first registered 11/9/72 & has 530 GVS.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914_7T3
Just assigned these to my '73 two weeks ago.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
I have the ugly whitr platrs, blue plates on list once car is up ams runnung. Car sat too long so new plates , same with our '78 Volvo
Larmo63
The state of California taxes us for the license plates we ACTUALLY WANT on the cars that WE ACTUALLY OWN.

(rant over)
RangerDick
Original with the vehicleClick to view attachment
SO.O.C914er
I had these on my car since 1980. Click to view attachment
Gustl
348 DRC - 1st registered on 5-28-1971 (my current car)

280 RLC - don't know when it 1st registered, but it was my ex MY'74 1.8

JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 6 2018, 11:17 PM) *

280 RLC - don't know when it 1st registered, but it was my ex MY'74 1.8

Wolfgang...your '74 plate seems out of sequence. Was the car originally sold in CA or was it bought in another state and later brought into CA or do you know?
Gustl
Hi Jeff, the COA says it was delivered to Jacksonville, FL

I bought it in 1999. The pre-owner (from Orange County) told me that he had it for 2 years and that he bought it from a guy (from south CA) who had it for 21 years. So it's very likely that it came to CA in 1976 (+/-).
cal44
1974, plates are original to car 078 KNA
Blue6
Jeff,

A DMV employee friend of mine told me, 1970 MY were issued up to_ _ _ CIL, with very few exceptions. Sometimes a remote rural office might have an old set of plates, which result in a 1971 getting an early plate. He said back then they went through 2 1/2 to 3 letters of the alphabet each yr.
Ed_Turbo
Thanks for putting my plates down Jeff. bye1.gif

Forgot to include Bozzani frame shades.gif
Click to view attachment

-Big Ed
pete000
Pretty sure this came on our 74 when it was new...
Larry.Hubby
Originally a 1970 914-4 bought in May of that year

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
The list is growing folks...thanks. How about some more from the years not well covered yet.
markhoward
Not sure if this is still the situation but once my friend had YOM yellow and black plates on his 57 Lincoln. When the car was sold, he kept the plates and tried to put them on his 56 Chrysler. Plates were 56 issue, having a 57 sticker when it was on the 57. Even though it did not have stickers when he tried to put them on his 56, the DMV would not let him because they said they now have that particular plate recorded as a 57. So it seems that once you put a qualifying plate on YOM for a specific year, you cannot put it on a different year car even though that year is valid for YOM issue otherwise. Has anyone else ever tried something like this with success?

For the plate list, do we only want original issue blue plate numbers for 914's or should we include other makes? Seems that we would want any make having original issue along with the where the car was first registered. Where is important since the DMV distributed plates to field offices in batches and less populated areas went through their plates slower the big cities.
jcd914
1971 914, brought to California from back East somewhere by the PO, so I don't know when it was first registered in CA.

Click to view attachment

Jim
914_teener
MY 1973

Click to view attachment

This car was sold to a PCA guy in Michigan.

So don.t know about the plates. I had the front plate restored before it sold early this year.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(markhoward @ Apr 8 2018, 02:46 PM) *

Not sure if this is still the situation but once my friend had YOM yellow and black plates on his 57 Lincoln. When the car was sold, he kept the plates and tried to put them on his 56 Chrysler. Plates were 56 issue, having a 57 sticker when it was on the 57. Even though it did not have stickers when he tried to put them on his 56, the DMV would not let him because they said they now have that particular plate recorded as a 57. So it seems that once you put a qualifying plate on YOM for a specific year, you cannot put it on a different year car even though that year is valid for YOM issue otherwise. Has anyone else ever tried something like this with success?

For the plate list, do we only want original issue blue plate numbers for 914's or should we include other makes? Seems that we would want any make having original issue along with the where the car was first registered. Where is important since the DMV distributed plates to field offices in batches and less populated areas went through their plates slower the big cities.

YOM plates are reassigned. When you go in to DMV they even want to see the year registration sticker which must match your car that it will be reassigned to. So you are supposed to find a set of plates (yes both are required) with a ~40-year old registration sticker visible. Right, good luck with that. Just find plates you want to use and the registration tag in the correct years is available elsewhere. Once reassigned to a vehicle...its final. The sole purpose of this list is to help folks locate model year correct plates to be as accurate as possible.

For this list, we only are interested in listing originally issued CA Blue/Gold plates so the car must have been sold in CA originally - not imported at some later date. Could be plates from a different car make, that is not as important as documenting that the plates are from a certain model year, for our purposes.
infraredcalvin
1975 384 MOZ
1976 172 NNV
EdwardBlume
Dad's car was bought in early 1977 (secondhand) and assigned this plate. The car was originally sold in Oklahoma.
sb914
73 2.0 pretty sure there original Click to view attachment
Robnxious
I believe these are original to my 1974

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Apr 9 2018, 04:00 AM) *

Dad's car was bought in early 1977 (secondhand) and assigned this plate. The car was originally sold in Oklahoma.

Interesting Ed. I included it as a book end for the list. Still Blue/Gold and disclosed as a 1977 issue. Nice.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Robnxious @ Apr 9 2018, 07:43 AM) *

I believe these are original to my 1974

Click to view attachment

This looks like a 1977 issue too. The car was likely brought into CA at ~3 years old, in 1977, so it would be a 49-state car. If you you can confirm I will add it to the list.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 8 2018, 08:30 PM) *

1971 914, brought to California from back East somewhere by the PO, so I don't know when it was first registered in CA.

Click to view attachment

Jim

Probably sometime well after April 1980, given its numerical sequence.
pt_700
747 cma on my '71. i'm the 3rd owner and believe these are original to the car.
Ferg
I need to look through my stash, I think I have some blue plates from 914's bought long ago.

JeffBowlsby
delete post
burton73
This was on my 74 V8 car but I only have one. What do I do? Car has not been reg in CA for several years and in non opt. I do not want to pay high back registration costs to bring it current.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Ask google for the places that will replicate a second plate for you. Check with DMV to see what their reqs are on that.
markhoward
Hope this is not abusing the thread but I am interested in a pair that would be correct for a 76. Ferg, if you are open to selling/trading something from your stash, I have a pair with DPD and another with BWN. Going to use DPD if I can't find something better.

If it helps the list, I can see what stickers are the earliest ones applied but imagine BWN would be 70 and DPD not much later. Have a single plate 346 SIR which was original issue for a 77 (non teener) sold in South San Francisco. That car caught on fire but at least it was not a 914!

QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 9 2018, 11:03 AM) *

I need to look through my stash, I think I have some blue plates from 914's bought long ago.

90quattrocoupe
73' 2.0L 513UJS
90quattrocoupe
Double post
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ Apr 9 2018, 02:23 PM) *

73' 2.0L 513UJS

It appears this plate was a later 1970s car, not original to 1973.
yeahmag

Click to view attachment
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 9 2018, 12:26 PM) *

This was on my 74 V8 car but I only have one. What do I do? Car has not been reg in CA for several years and in non opt. I do not want to pay high back registration costs to bring it current.

Bob B
Click to view attachment

If you registered as PNO prior to the registration expiring (March 2009) then there are no back fees.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 9 2018, 08:36 AM) *

Interesting Ed. I included it as a book end for the list. Still Blue/Gold and disclosed as a 1977 issue. Nice.

More like RobW Jeff. I can dig out the exact date my Dad bought it from a dealer 2nd hand in 1977 if you need it.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Apr 9 2018, 06:40 PM) *

More like RobW Jeff. I can dig out the exact date my Dad bought it from a dealer 2nd hand in 1977 if you need it.

Duh, I reregister it every year in December... so the plate is from December 1977.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Apr 9 2018, 06:40 PM) *

Jeff's my stage name. I am Alan Middletown... lol-2.gif
type47fan
My 1972 (VIN 4722910834) first registered in May '72 in La Mesa, CA

Click to view attachment

My 1976 (VIN 4762903947) first registered in April '76 in Buena Park, CA.

Click to view attachment
7TPorsh
I see only pics of 914s...any blue plate on any car during the specific year would apply...
JeffBowlsby
Do you have plate info for the 1970-72 cars?
burton73
Here are the plates on my 1970 San Fernando garage find. The PO worked at GM in Van Nuys California building Camaros.

See the date on sticker 1985 same as #41 but not anywhere near as nice when found

Bob B
Click to view attachment
Wyvern
Here is the YOM form you will need at DMV

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/8...pdf?MOD=AJPERES

My DMV told me that for the YOM plate that for 1970 and newer the correct year sticker was NOT needed ? As long at it was 6 characters (or even 7 for 1980).
That would make sense as annual registration would have got a new "year sticker".
So you just need a "Blue plate" with any 6 characters..
The number / letter sequence to be any 6 characters (and following the info here better if it was the correct actual sequence)
Can anyone confirm that ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.