Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Euro 914s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Does anyone know what the differences were in the European 914s? (Other than the turn lenses thank you very much.)

Just curious.

- Joe
73 1.7
sechszylinder
They are much more rusted (believe me !!!) and they are missing those seat belt warning stuff.
On the chassis side european cars don't have the reenforcement in the front trunk, right in front of the spare tire.

Beside that i've discovered, that the interior parts (e.g. dashboard) in euopean cars are made of a different material with a better quality.

benno
Anton
Who cares?

Your teener is the way it is...

My teener (ex-California) is the way it is...

But if you REALLY want to know check The 914 & 914/6 Porsche: A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity
by B. Johnson.

There you can read all about the diferences (depending on building year) and which hexagonal chrome plated bolt is correct... crest.gif
KaptKaos
I was thinking mostly engine and suspension differences.
airsix
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jul 11 2003, 10:41 AM)
I was thinking mostly engine and suspension differences.

Euro cars had the front suspension height set at the level it was designed for. US cars have it adjusted higher to meet US bumper-height restrictions. This is easy to fix. I say 'fix' because I consider the US height to be 'wrong'.

Some Euro -4's had carbs. I forget the details.

-Ben M.
nebreitling
higher compression engines in europe. a bit more power, more emissions.

my ride height has been "fixed" as well.
tryan
european drivers blink.gif
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jul 10 2003, 11:50 PM)
Does anyone know what the differences were in the European 914s?  (Other than the turn lenses thank you very much.)

Just curious.

- Joe
73 1.7

Joe, you can learn a lot about the 914 from the books "Porsche 914, 914-6" by Brian Long and "Porsche 914-Ultimate Fortfolio" by R.M. Clarke. Do a search for "Porsche 914" at http://www.motorbooks.com to find both.
Uncle Richy
Higher compression pistons I believe. Not sure about the cylinders.
madd_dogg_914
Engine wise, the 1.8L engines in europe came with carbuerators, whereas the 1.8L engines in the states came with Bosch L-Jet fuel injection. The 2.0L and 1.7L came with D-Jet fuel injection no matter where you went (except today of course . . . huh.gif )

-Chris
Dave_Darling
There were no differences with the 1.7 engines. Same compression, same fuel system (D-jet), same everything.

The European-spec 1.8s had much higher compression (8.6:1 vs. 7.3:1 or was it 7.6:1) and dual single-throat carbs versus the US version's L-jet EFI.

The European 2.0s had 8.0:1 compression as opposed to 7.6:1 for the US version. Both used D-jet EFI.

There were no differences in the suspension parts between US and European versions, just the adjustment of the front ride height to meet US bumper laws.

There were other details. No charcoal cannister for Europe; no side marker lights; km/h speedometers, different F and R turn signal lenses....

--DD
Curvie Roadlover
And of course the "VW-PORSCHE" badge.
VegasRacer
The U.S. cars have bumper tits in the front in 73 and front and rear in 74.
The Euro cars do not.
The Euro teeners have the Wolfsburg crest on the steering wheel.
The U.S. cars have the Porsche crest on the horn pad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.