Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Threaded Holes in Targa Bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisO
Hi All,
I was removing the rear window from my '75 project and noticed there are 3 threaded holes on each side of the car on the underside of the Targa bar. There are black plastic covers for the total of 6 holes. The holes look factory. I searched the web site, but did not find any explanation. Any ideas?

Click to view attachment
mepstein
factory ski rack
DennisO
thanks Mark.

very Interesting.

Dennis

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 7 2018, 07:26 PM) *

factory ski rack

sb914
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
I had a factory ski rack on my 2nd 914-6. The top part attached to the underside of the roll bar and the bottom went into the tow hook receiver on the back bumper. The skis rode at an angle top to rear bumper. Super nice set-up, easy to use and looked cool as heck. I use to drive to Lake Tahoe and go skiing in it. Thank God they did not use salt on the roads.
oldie914
Here's a picture of my 914 with a factory ski rack. Picture was taken in 1972 or 73.
The front bar had tabs that fit into slots above the windshield. Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Also can be used for a bike mount

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...112231&st=0
theer
... and 914Rubber sells those plastic plugs if you are missing any.
DennisO
I saw the slots on the windshield frame and wondered what they were for as well. Those racks looks really cool.
Mikey914
Working on the windshield ones but got these. Put em on sale for you if you need a set.
Mark

https://shop.914rubber.com/Caps-for-Ski-Rac...m?categoryId=-1
DennisO
Does 914Rubber have a targa panel alum trim kit? I checked your website, but did not find one. Mine has has too many dings and scratches, so I'll need to replace it.
mepstein
QUOTE(DennisO @ Apr 8 2018, 11:08 AM) *

Does 914Rubber have a targa panel alum trim kit? I checked your website, but did not find one. Mine has has too many dings and scratches, so I'll need to replace it.

No. You can buy all the side pieces from Porsche but the long aluminum piece across the back is NLS.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 7 2018, 07:26 PM) *

factory ski rack

Non factory bike rack. laugh.gif
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Both factory & aftermarket ski & bike racks use the same windshield frame slots & rollbar holes L & R.

You can see many of the choices at Jeff Bowlsby's site -

I had the aftermarket bike &ski racks for my 73 2L since when I got it in 75, & my first long trip was to go skiing! piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
> with 2 sets of these Pipers you can carry 4 pairs of skis, so when I wanted to bring both downhill & XC skis for two, I borrowed one of my buddies' set. IIRC the factory crossbar type woun't fit a full 4 pairs of skis.

Click to view attachment

These occasionally come up FS on the classifieds here, evil-bay, TheSamba - if you're looking; but not the factory ones so much.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.