Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Igition Help - 6 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Evill Ed
I have the 1980 3.0L with CIS in the 914. I have all wires hooked up, and (most) everything seems to work except the ignition. The CD box hums, so it has power. The wires are on the coil, but no spark. The only wire between the distributor and the coil,is the coil lead, no other wires. The wires on the coil have no voltage going to them, shouldn't 1 have 12 volts?

Any ideas?

Regards,
Ed
lapuwali
Yes, the one going to the + post on the coil should have +12 when to switch on the key. The points wire should go to the - post.
Evill Ed
QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jun 6 2005, 06:19 PM)
Yes, the one going to the + post on the coil should have +12 when to switch on the key. The points wire should go to the - post.

This distributor does not use points.

Ed
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Evill Ed @ Jun 6 2005, 09:40 PM)
...CD box hums, so it has power. ... The wires on the coil have no voltage going to them, shouldn't 1 have 12 volts?

i've never measured voltage to the pulse transformer with a CD box; i have no reason there'd be voltage at Terminal 15 except when the CD sends a pulse. EXPECT that pluse to be in the hundreds of volts range so take proper precautions and if you're trying to see it on a meter, set your range appropriately...

describe the CD box. factory 3,0 911 CDI? i haven't heard any hum; could be, but i'd expect a whine or whistle. describe your coil. CDI won't work with a standard coil, certainly not for long, before smoking one or the other or both. use the 6's pulse transformer or get a MSD "hi-vibration" pulse transformer - they're the only standard "coil-shaped" MSD parts that can deal with being mounted other than vertical, Terminal-4 up. or go get an early Rabbit GTI pulse transformer from a Fairchild ignition car - pay attention to the output terminal, some use a cup like we do, some use a post...

describe your connectionf from the distributor to the CDI box...
Evill Ed
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jun 7 2005, 04:15 AM)
QUOTE (Evill Ed @ Jun 6 2005, 09:40 PM)
...CD box hums, so it has power. ... The wires on the coil have no voltage going to them, shouldn't 1 have 12 volts?

i've never measured voltage to the pulse transformer with a CD box; i have no reason there'd be voltage at Terminal 15 except when the CD sends a pulse. EXPECT that pluse to be in the hundreds of volts range so take proper precautions and if you're trying to see it on a meter, set your range appropriately...

describe the CD box. factory 3,0 911 CDI? i haven't heard any hum; could be, but i'd expect a whine or whistle. describe your coil. CDI won't work with a standard coil, certainly not for long, before smoking one or the other or both. use the 6's pulse transformer or get a MSD "hi-vibration" pulse transformer - they're the only standard "coil-shaped" MSD parts that can deal with being mounted other than vertical, Terminal-4 up. or go get an early Rabbit GTI pulse transformer from a Fairchild ignition car - pay attention to the output terminal, some use a cup like we do, some use a post...

describe the CD box. factory 3,0 911 CDI?

YES

i haven't heard any hum; could be, but i'd expect a whine or whistle.

OK, it whistles rolleyes.gif

This is the factory set up. CD box and distributor.

There's the problem, it does not have one. I have no trigger signal to the box. It is suppossed to be a green coaxial cable? I did not see anyplugs or connectors on the distributor. I'm sure this missing lead is the problem.

Ed
Root_Werks
There are two different boxes that you could have. If you have a 3 pin box, then it is WRONG. Check to see if you have a 6 pin CD box, the extra 3 pins allow the use of the trigger system in the dist.

Your ABCD terms should hook up as follows, but I don't know about the rest.
Evill Ed
Thanks Root_Werks, I was waiting for you to chime in wink.gif The diagram is very helpful.

I have the 6 pin box. I could not find a wire or plug on the distributor. Gotta go look some more.

Ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.