Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yep, bought another one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Origional owner ‘70. Lots of rust in the pans and suspension. Comes with a bunch of new metal. I like that the owner kept all the old parts he had removed from the car. He made me an offer I couldn’t refuse biggrin.gif
gandalf_025
Even has the wood dash inserts from back in the day..
ValcoOscar
Nice going.....

piratenanner.gif
Dion
Congrats signal914.jpg smilie_pokal.gif
Tdskip
Congratulations.

Feel free to PM for expert advice on doing a 914/6 conversation.

evilgrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 9 2018, 01:38 PM) *

Congratulations.

Feel free to PM for expert advice on doing a 914/6 conversation.

evilgrin.gif

I don't know about "expert". I just make it up as I go. biggrin.gif
Tdskip
Ha, so plans for this one?
billh1963
I know the feeling. Every time I try to quit another one pops up!
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 9 2018, 02:13 PM) *

Quit? Why? biggrin.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 9 2018, 02:22 PM) *

Quit? Why? biggrin.gif

I only say that in public so people won't think I'm crazy.... screwy.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 9 2018, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 9 2018, 02:22 PM) *

Quit? Why? biggrin.gif

I only say that in public so people won't think I'm crazy.... screwy.gif

LOL
burton73
Orange with the tan is nice. Nice look!

Bob B
76-914
Nice score and it appears that you have ample space. Your definitely a repeat offender. beerchug.gif
aharder
Way to go Mark !!!
Can never have too many !! biggrin.gif
burton73
I see you have one of those Amco center cockpits’ the people are crying for.

Bob B
mb911
I think its a great parts car
Tdskip
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 9 2018, 04:39 PM) *

I think its a great start on a 914/6 car

There - I fixed it for you Ben
rgalla9146
One year only 'Elephant Hyde' interior !
ThreeV8s
Great find, congrats. In spite of the fact that I finally got one and it really doesn’t need anything else at the moment, I am always looking for parts and cars. These cars are insanely addictive.

Mark, I am not too far away if you ever need a hand with anything, as long as it does not involve real automotive talent. biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Apr 9 2018, 08:04 PM) *

Great find, congrats. In spite of the fact that I finally got one and it really doesn’t need anything else at the moment, I am always looking for parts and cars. These cars are insanely addictive.

Mark, I am not too far away if you ever need a hand with anything, as long as it does not involve real automotive talent. biggrin.gif

Thank you. I am also lacking real talent, well other than collecting ugly project cars.
I hope you are headed to Hershey with your car. Love to see it.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 9 2018, 06:57 PM) *

One year only 'Elephant Hyde' interior !

It’s pretty rough. My red car with a brown interior has an almost perfect interior. But also has rust issues.
ThreeV8s
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 9 2018, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(ThreeV8s @ Apr 9 2018, 08:04 PM) *

Thank you. I am also lacking real talent, well other than collecting ugly project cars.
I hope you are headed to Hershey with your car. Love to see it.

I was looking forward to going for months since my father and I were planning on going together and this was going to be my first Hershey swap meet with a 914. An overseas work trip that was supposed to happen in March was rescheduled at the last minute and I won’t get back until late in the day on the 21st. I am completely bummed about it. I’m hoping to make it to a 914 gathering one of these days. Mine hasn’t seen another one since I’ve had it.
sb914
Nice ! How many do you have now ?
914forme
Wow Mark, congratulations. So what is the plan?

V8
Rotary
blink.gif
Electric

confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(sb914 @ Apr 9 2018, 08:55 PM) *

Nice ! How many do you have now ?

6 and a parts car.
My 914
You can't have too many 914's.
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 9 2018, 09:24 PM) *

Wow Mark, congratulations. So what is the plan?

V8
Rotary
blink.gif
Electric

confused24.gif

Convert them all to six’s
914Next
Congrats Mark!!
mepstein
I looked at the average price of the last 4 cars I purchased and kept - $2,300. Not exactly concour. That was before I sold any parts from them. My suby car was $3,500 but I turned around and sold $3,500 of the parts that came with it in a week. I just really wanted the steel flared shell.
iwanta914-6
Nice. You know I'm jealous! wink.gif
jkb944t
Always handy to have a few extra 914's to play with! piratenanner.gif

Jeff B
Super90
Nice score. Keep us posted on the project.
George
patrick3000
Congratulations, looks nice, how bad is the rust?
Freezin 914
Someone needs to save these cars, good job on saving another one. Glad to hear everyone on this forum is doing their part. Cheers! beerchug.gif
mepstein
I was wrong. It’s a ‘70, not ‘71. Unfortunately, it’s too far gone for me to save it. Going in, I knew this was a very rusty car. It looks really nice in the pictures and my wife even commented that I finally brought home a cute car but I knew it’s secret. The PO has origionally called me about 2 years ago for advice on rust repair. After getting some estimates, he became very disheartened and told me he was getting rid of it. He sold it to me for $2k. It has a lot of parts that I will need for the shell I will eventually build and some parts to sell to help offset the purchase. Unfortunately, he got rid of the snowplow rear valence because he said it was ugly. headbang.gif

Today I started removing parts. The seatbelts were easy to remove without tools. I was able to pull them off the long by hand, the metal reinforcement behind the long still bolted to the belt. I could see the ground through the inside of the long - on both sides. Below you can see a pic of the authentic plywood floorpan. blink.gif
Typical east coast car.
I knew all this before purchase but it’s just one of the many issues that made it an easy decision to part out.
Larmo63
Poor car, you east coast guys are really hard on your cars.

KMA.gif
mepstein
smile.gif
burton73
At a different assembly line in I guess a different town, my 6 #41 was born in the same month same year.

Rear bumper looks OK how was the front?

Bob B
mepstein
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 30 2018, 10:38 PM) *

At a different assembly line in I guess a different town, my 6 #41 was born in the same month same year.

Rear bumper looks OK how was the front?

Bob B

Front looks good. Even though the car is very rusty, seller said it was never in an accident. I’m giving the bumpers to Ben/mb911. I had told him he would get them if I ended up buying the car.
If this was a 6, I’d put it aside for a future build. As a four, it’s not worth it. I think the suspension is hanging on by a thread. It might look good on my wall idea.gif

majkos1
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 9 2018, 03:31 PM) *

I see you have one of those Amco center cockpits’ the people are crying for.

Bob B

Say what?
I Love those Amco stuff!
Click to view attachment
aktion035.gif

Great buy. first.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 30 2018, 09:28 PM) *

Poor car, you east coast guys are really hard on your cars.

KMA.gif

And this car was stored inside all its life.
mepstein
Lot of unique creatures on the early cars.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2018, 09:21 PM) *

Lot of unique creatures on the early cars.

You will find a few items unique to the very first few 914s. Please post pictures as you find them. beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.