Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Valance....has anyone started making reproductions in metal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I thought restoration design was going to start producing them. I looked on their website and don't see any.

Not enough demand to make new ones?
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 9 2018, 02:26 PM) *

I thought restoration design was going to start producing them. I looked on their website and don't see any.

If they were going to make one, I would think it would be for a six.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 9 2018, 10:43 AM) *

So they'd make just the early snowplow for the -6 - all 2000 or less still around, & ignore the 113,000 /4's (less losses over the decades)!!?? blink.gif

Well that doesn't make good business sense!

And even the -6 owners hated the "snowplows" back in the day, for the obvious reason that the name implies - it was a snow/mud/gunk catcher!
... which was why Porsche redesigned it in late 71 for 72 MY!

Bill -

IIRC - before RD went to the frozen north - they used to make repro front & rear steel valances - along with their repro steel rocker panels, back in the day, but maybe only for the shorty/notched /4 at the rear.

I recall seeing them in the 1970-80's parts manuals, including AA's - since AA set up the partnership/JV with the prior RD owner in MI, & George had paid for all of the tooling in order to have the parts for AA - but then the prior owner stopped paying or something, went BK, & the current RD owner bought all the tooling & equipment out of BK.

The cheaper FG repro valances & rockers probably sold better than the steel ones in the 1980-90's> - since we 914ers tended to be more cost conscious then (aka "Cheap"!) - so that may have been their downfall.

So I'd think that RD should have the old F & R steel valance tooling today - if they wanted to start making them again.

Bill - Also try George at AA to see if he still has some?
.... or he may know a source.

Also try Rich Bontempi at HPH in Redwood City CA, as he may also have some nice used ones in his 400+ 914 warehouse (maybe NOS?);
.... &/or maybe Bruce Stone/bdstone on here for nice used ones.

I think that I bought George's last set of NOS late factory F & R steel valances from him a few years back.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Andyrew
I've had a couple and couldnt give them away...
billh1963
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 9 2018, 04:03 PM) *

So they'd make just the early snowplow for the -6 - all 2000 or less still around, & ignore the 113,000 /4's (less losses over the decades)!!?? blink.gif

And even the -6 owners hated the "snowplows" back in the day, for the obvious reason that the name implies - it was a snow/mud/gunk catcher!

Bill -

IIRC - before RD went to the frozen north - they used to make repro front & rear steel valances - along with their repro steel rocker panels, back in the day, but maybe only for the shorty/notched /4 at the rear.

I recall seeing them in the 1970-80's parts manuals, including AA's - since AA set up the partnership/JV with the prior RD owner in MI, & George had paid for all of the tooling in order to have the parts for AA - but then the prior owner stopped paying or something, went BK, & the current RD owner bought all the tooling & equipment out of BK.

The cheaper FG repro valances & rockers probably sold better than the steel ones in the 1980-90's> - since we 914ers tended to be more cost conscious then (aka "Cheap"!) - so that may have been their downfall.

So I'd think that RD should have the old F & R steel valance tooling today - if they wanted to start making them again.

Also try Rich Bontempi at HPH in Redwood City CA, as he may also have some nice used ones in his 400+ 914 warehouse (maybe NOS?);

I think that I bought George's last set of NOS late factory F & R steel valances from him a few years back.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks, Tom. I'm not desperate for one. However, one of my cars has one that isn't as straight as I would like and thought I would just buy a new repro.

Guess I'll need to place a WTB ad. laugh.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 9 2018, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 9 2018, 04:03 PM) *

Bill -

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks, Tom. I'm not desperate for one. However, one of my cars has one that isn't as straight as I would like and thought I would just buy a new repro.

Guess I'll need to place a WTB ad. laugh.gif

I have a couple. If I can find a decent one, it’s yours for shipping.
billh1963
Thank you! aktion035.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 10 2018, 12:41 PM) *

Thank you! aktion035.gif

I think the front ones should be reproduced,seems to be few around now that are worth fixing but that will dry up sooner than we think.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 10 2018, 02:53 AM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 10 2018, 12:41 PM) *

Thank you! aktion035.gif

I think the front ones should be reproduced,seems to be few around now that are worth fixing but that will dry up sooner than we think.

agreed- I just sourced one from another member , mine had a big dent in it and would have taken more work than what its worth, although I may work on it to see ifi can get it to point were my body guy can strip it and repaint it since nice ones are rare. its just like front chrome or steel bumpers, hard to find really nice ones, they really got banged up over the years! I think those are 2 things RH could do well with, the valances for sure and paintable steel bumpers.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 9 2018, 12:03 PM) *

Bill -

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

914-6 rear valance with port hole are going for close to $1K in good original condition so producing the early ones would be profitable. The only difference from the early 4 and 6 is the position of the port hole which could punched out as needed. There are plenty of early 4's to pick up the slack.
ChrisFoley
Tygaboy can start making them one at a time for the community now that he's made a panel for a Maserati. cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.