Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Right Engine Mount Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BPic
My right motor mount has 2 holes just behind it. It appears the PO made a repair and I'm looking for advice.
The car is completely stripped and on a rotisserie. I can't find a motor mount at AA, RD or anywhere else. Do I remove - repair - and remount? Or repair around it and treat heavily for rust? I know I need to dig into it further.
If I remove, are there measurements to get it back to the correct spot? Click to view attachment
mepstein
Grab a knotted wire wheel on a grinder. Put on a respirator and face shield and start removing rust so you can get a better idea what good metal is left.
dlee6204
There’s a lot more rust hiding behind it. It will definitely need to come off. Your best bet for a replacement is to source a used one in the FS section.
McMark
The mount itself looks to be in pretty good shape, it's the longitudinal behind that's in worse shape.

Cut out the mount, and clean it up before you chase down another one. The position is a mirror of the left side, so you can use measurements from there to make sure it's in the right place when you reinstall.
bbrock
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 10 2018, 06:52 AM) *

The mount itself looks to be in pretty good shape, it's the longitudinal behind that's in worse shape.

Cut out the mount, and clean it up before you chase down another one. The position is a mirror of the left side, so you can use measurements from there to make sure it's in the right place when you reinstall.

agree.gif but I would probably cut a window in the top where that corrosion is to get a better look at the inside first. You might get lucky and be able to clean and treat through that window which is an easy patch. More likely, you'll end up cutting the mount off but you would be cutting out that top area either way. The PITA part of that repair is fabricating the divot in the inner long to match the cup-shaped portion at the bottom of the mount.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree that the mount looks good. We make the part behind that it welds to and have used right mounts and new left mounts in stock, but I do not think that you need one,

Try sandblasting the area and then reexamine. If you have to remove the mount, you can drill out the spot welds. It virtually only goes in one way so you really cannot get it "off"
Luke M
If you find that you do need a right side motor mount, I have one for sale in the classifieds section. It's a take off nos part.
BPic
Great advice as always. Thanks guys. I'll start digging in and let you know here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.