Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JWest Hinge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
The vertical shaft has two threaded nuts: are they used to adjust height ? And, should they be tightened ? When they are tight, the shaft doesn’t turn ?
Should the threads around the lower nut have blue loctite to prevent the nut from vibrating off ?
yeahmag
Yes, tight. The heim joint can rotate in 2 directions. You can minimally adjust height, so try to get it VERY close the first time. I also drilled the holes a bit bigger to allow for gross adjustment via the bracket itself.

It's really tough to tighten those with everything in place...
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 10 2018, 02:22 PM) *

Yes, tight. The heim joint can rotate in 2 directions. You can minimally adjust height, so try to get it VERY close the first time. I also drilled the holes a bit bigger to allow for gross adjustment via the bracket itself.

It's really tough to tighten those with everything in place...

Thanks.that helps. Gonna put a dab of blue loctite on the bottom nut

.?Did you go with the tension rods or the hood shocks ?
yeahmag
I kept it stock. The problem I have with the shocks is swinging the roof in. The shocks interfere with that where the torsion bars are completely out of the way (albeit a pain in the ass to reinstall).
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 10 2018, 03:05 PM) *

I kept it stock. The problem I have with the shocks is swinging the roof in. The shocks interfere with that where the torsion bars are completely out of the way (albeit a pain in the ass to reinstall).

That’s what I am thinking too; the shocks will block the pathway. Probably OK if you have a helper, but doing it solo could be a problem.

How did you get the torsion rod back up onto the roller ?
yeahmag
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 10 2018, 03:14 PM) *

That’s what I am thinking too; the shocks will block the pathway. Probably OK if you have a helper, but doing it solo could be a problem.

How did you get the torsion rod back up onto the roller ?

It’s sheer terror. I’d be happy to help, but we did a bunch of (dangerous) maneuvers to get the bar back on. I made a copy of the “tool” to get it off the car and then a socket on an extension to move it the rest of the way.
TheCabinetmaker
that looks like a self locking nut on the bottom left corner of the plate. If so, can you put that on the bottom of the heim joint?
yeahmag
No need. When you tighten up the heim joint it's like having two jam nuts.
jim_hoyland
Good info smile.gif
rjames
Great product. Took 2 sets of eyes two figure out how to install it, but once it's done it's a set and forget product.

I kept the stock springs in also. I modified (cut a piece out of) the handle end of a crescent wrench to mimic the tool. Worked fine. Wear gauntlets and a football helmet just in case. biggrin.gif
bandjoey
Since you’re already doing this
After the old weld is ground off how did you line up the new bracket to the right position ??? Was there a template in the kit or is it get a ruler and figure it out ?
yeahmag
I simply attached the JWest bracket to the trunk and once everything looked right, reached in through the engine "opening" (engine lid removed) and marked everything. I laid down tape first so I could start over easily...
Rand
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 10 2018, 02:14 PM) *

My first 914, I used a shock from a pick-n-pull that was strong enough to lift/hold the trunk up from one side. I put it on the passenger side, so it was not in the way for stowing the roof. To keep from torquing the trunk I just closed by pushing down on the right side where the shock was. Worked great. Just another option...
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 12 2018, 09:46 AM) *

Since you’re already doing this
After the old weld is ground off how did you line up the new bracket to the right position ??? Was there a template in the kit or is it get a ruler and figure it out ?

Lining up is really simple. After the old bracket is removed the hinge is removed from the lid. Then the JWest assembly is attached to the trunk hinge; then the assembly and hinge is moved to their final locations. The hinge is re-bolted to the lid, the lid is closed, and the assembly is sitting right where it needs to be. Drill holes, bolt on backup plate
The instructions can be found on the JWest website; I reviewed them several times before starting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.