Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ratchet strap recommendations for trailering
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Coast Jim
Just bought this new aluminum trailer to haul my toys around. The setup for this trailer is 4 D ring points set 16' apart in the length and 4'8' in the width. How to strap down a 914 for safe hauling. Thanks all.

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
MACS makes a really nice set of straps. They can be had with shorty straps that can be threaded through wheels, around trailing arms, etc.

Available from lots of places.

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/
mepstein
If the straps are long, I like to cross at least one set. If they are really short, crossing isn’t important. You can use wheel straps with the tie downs or a suspension point like the A arms or rear shocks. Where you tie it down may depend on valences, spoilers or exhaust. I probably towed 50 different Porsche’s in the last two years and never had an issue. Just have to find a secure point and use common sense.
It’s always good to drive a couple miles and make a hard stop and then recheck the straps.
campbellcj
The tie-down loops that go on the rear shock bolts are very handy. I got my straps at Pegasus as I recall, but any of the good-quality webbed ratchet straps will do the trick. There was at least one really detailed towing thread here not that long ago, as I recall.
slivel
I've used this retailer and am pleased with the price/quality.
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tie_Down_Straps.aspx
slivel
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 10 2018, 08:58 PM) *

The tie-down loops that go on the rear shock bolts are very handy. I got my straps at Pegasus as I recall, but any of the good-quality webbed ratchet straps will do the trick. There was at least one really detailed towing thread here not that long ago, as I recall.

Yes I use these. It's been a long time but I think that I got them from Paragon. They MIGHT be 944 style with hole enlarged to fit 914 shock bolt.
Click to view attachment
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Apr 10 2018, 05:21 PM) *

Just bought this new aluminum trailer to haul my toys around. The setup for this trailer is 4 D ring points set 16' apart in the length and 4'8' in the width. How to strap down a 914 for safe hauling. Thanks all.

Click to view attachment

Thanks all I ordered from MACs. Will be wrapping the rear suspension.
EdwardBlume
Home Depot has big long straps that work. Cut down the fronts if you use the a arms. Carry a 5th just in case.
EdwardBlume
Nice trailer BTW!
GaroldShaffer
I have been towing 914s (and other Porsche cars) for well over 20 yrs. I always hook on the A-arm up front and then through the rear tires in back. If you are worried about marking up your rear rims then side a hand towel under the strap, it won't come out once the strap is tighten down.

I also have a small strap the goes around the trailing arm then hook a steel chain on it and hook up to a rear D -ring as a safetything "just in case I hit the brakes hard and the car moves forward (that has NEVER happen , but you never know).

Nice trailer btw. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
I go through the wheels front and back. But I have big open wheels smile.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Apr 11 2018, 07:49 PM) *

I have been towing 914s (and other Porsche cars) for well over 20 yrs. I always hook on the A-arm up front and then through the rear tires in back. If you are worried about marking up your rear rims then side a hand towel under the strap, it won't come out once the strap is tighten down.

I also have a small strap the goes around the trailing arm then hook a steel chain on it and hook up to a rear D -ring as a safetything "just in case I hit the brakes hard and the car moves forward (that has NEVER happen , but you never know).

Nice trailer btw. beerchug.gif

Thank you Garold...I will do the same.

Here's my Route 66 trailer that I need to finish by next week. Kinda hard with work and a few side projects.

Click to view attachment
campbellcj
Good call re always carrying extra straps. The straps are extremely strong and durable but the ratchets can jam or break.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.