Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to get firewall tailshift to sideshift conversion bushing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcd914
Like the title says I need a conversion bushing for my 72 when I convert to a sideshift trans.

The last one I bought was probably 30 years ago.

I have checked the normal places but didn't see any listings.

Thanks
Jim
Mikey914
Got them in stock $25 + actual shipping, just let me know an I can get it out tomorrow
jcd914
I didn't see them on your site.
I could find the tail shift bushing and the side shift bushing but not a conversion bushing.

Do you have a link?

Thanks
Jim
Mikey914
Haven't listed them yet, Drop me a PM with your email I can forward an invoice with the shipping (just need zip) reg mail ok?
Will be cheap.
Mark
Montreal914
Tangerine also has a nice upgrade, you might want to look it up.
Optimusglen
Dangit, I looked all over on 914rubber and didn't see them so ended up buying one from elsewhere. sad.gif
jcd914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 11 2018, 12:20 PM) *

Haven't listed them yet, Drop me a PM with your email I can forward an invoice with the shipping (just need zip) reg mail ok?
Will be cheap.
Mark

I will send you a PM, I need a couple other small items as well.

I am in no danger of installing the engine for awhile so I have time.

Thanks
Jim
jcd914
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Apr 11 2018, 01:04 PM) *

Tangerine also has a nice upgrade, you might want to look it up.

I like Trangerine's bushing a lot but it is overkill for my budget.

Jim
Larmo63
I personally endorse the Tangerine firewall bushing.

That, and a bronze rear bushing.
914work
I went through the same pickle recently, got it from George.
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 12 2018, 11:19 AM) *

I personally endorse the Tangerine firewall bushing.

That, and a bronze rear bushing.

agree.gif makes a hell of a difference,914 rubber needs to make the console metal bush IMO ,only one other supplier I know of.
1adam12
I went with the polyurethane conversion bushing from AASE. It was under 20 bucks and snapped in place. Haven't put any miles on it yet but the side shift rod glides right in.
jcd914
When I did my 71 I got a plastic bushing from Automotion but that was probably 25 years ago or more.
I'll post pictures when I get my bushing from 914Rubber.

Jim
euro911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 11 2018, 11:20 AM) *
Will be cheap.
Mark
What are yours made of, Mark?

Also, what's the part# for the bushing? ... I may need to add one to my next order after the new year starts idea.gif
Tdskip
Recent discussion on making installation easy that is worth search for....
914forme
Tangerine 1000% and installation is really easy
euro911
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 26 2018, 10:23 AM) *
Tangerine 1000% and installation is really easy
Did you do a side shift transaxle conversion, or was your car late to begin with?

I installed Chris' spherical bearing in the 'BB', but there were special circumstances in my case. Even though it was a '75, a PO had installed all the workings for a tail shift transaxle. I had to drill out 26 rivets that secured the shift rod mechanism's console to the firewall

IPB Image

Once the console was removed, the circular reinforcement for a regular bushing was gone (a ragged hole was all that remained), so I had to fab a small plate and screw it to the firewall. Even so, I had to bore a large hole in the plate and machine a 3/8" step in the bearing's outer housing, and recess it to allow full shift rod travel to catch all gears.

IPB Image

IPB Image

How many folks have installed one of Chris' spherical bearings in early cars when doing a side shift conversion?
ChrisFoley
This year I found a way to shorten the bearing and housing just a little bit more and help alleviate possible interference with the knuckle on the shift rod.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.