Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Difference between these hubs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bob Wolcott
I have two pair of hubs for my 914-6, one that is original and another pair I got at a later time. I'm not really sure which is which or what the difference between them are. Anyone know what the difference is? Here are some pictures and part numbers.

http://oregonstate.edu/~wolcottr/Porsche/Hub/

911.341.605.4R (appear to be cast)
901.341.605.3R (lighter weight and smooth)

Thanks,
Bob

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Bob Wolcott @ Jun 7 2005, 12:29 AM)
911.341.605.4R (appear to be cast)
901.341.605.3R (lighter weight and smooth)

those are not part numbers, they are casting numbers.

the 901 part would be original for the /6

there may or may not be any practical, functional difference. could be the studs are of slightly different length or something. could be the alloy is a little different, or one was sand-cast and another pressure-cast. i'd use them in matched pairs just to be safe.
xsboost90
not sure but do you want to sell the set you dont use? I need some hubs bad!
Bob Wolcott
I do plan to sell one pair of these but I am not sure which. I will be running an RS motor in this car with wide tires etc... and I really need the strength, if there is a difference.

Bob
Joe Bob
Use whatever seems to be in better condition. If you are going to race it consider going with longer studs and open headed nuts...same with the rear.
Jeroen
haven't checked the numbers, but those may be early vs late hubs
(the 901's being early and the 911's being late)
Eric_Shea
Have you measured them out side by side? I haven't seen the machining marks on any of my hubs. It looks as though someone may have milled the mounting surface of the hub in the 005 picture... confused24.gif

I don't think there's a difference in strength or any need to care. I've never heard of "any" 911 hub failing. If they measure out the same, I'd simply use the 901 hubs that came with the car and sell the others to Dan.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Bob Wolcott @ Jun 7 2005, 10:13 AM)
...I really need the strength...

if you *really* need the strength, don't mess around with any of the factory stuff and get the billet hubs from SmartRacing.
Mueller
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jun 7 2005, 11:03 AM)
QUOTE (Bob Wolcott @ Jun 7 2005, 10:13 AM)
...I really need the strength...

if you *really* need the strength, don't mess around with any of the factory stuff and get the billet hubs from SmartRacing.

the SmartRacing hubs are the 930 style front hubs (built in 1" spacer)..unless they have another one that I didn't see in the catalog....

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 7 2005, 02:11 PM)
the SmartRacing hubs are the 930 style front hubs (built in 1" spacer)..unless they have another one that I didn't see in the catalog....

they used to have both 911 and 930 flavors; maybe they've discontinued the 911 flavor for some reason; i hope not. i tried to find them on their "new and improved" site and now that they've gone to links to PDF's i can't find anything.

i hope they figure that out before it costs them a bunch of business...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.